Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charge Points Discussion and Suggestions [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Convenience is king for me on this. I’m a lazy sod! Don’t want to be faffing about with multiple apps, other adapters, unplugging the car in the middle of the night, relying on the car schedule (sometimes you need to add some miles for an hour then set it to charge at night), “mental maths” or any other kind of maths! Set the schedule in the app, plug in, forget about it, car and charger do their thing! 😂
Likewise.

We have a Wallbox and have set the app so it only delivers a charge during the overnight cheap period. Means we can plug in anytime but the charge won't start until cheap rate begins.

(Can always click one button to override if the need arises.)

Convenience is king for me on this. I’m a lazy sod! Don’t want to be faffing about with multiple apps, other adapters, unplugging the car in the middle of the night, relying on the car schedule (sometimes you need to add some miles for an hour then set it to charge at night), “mental maths” or any other kind of maths! Set the schedule in the app, plug in, forget about it, car and charger do their thing! 😂

The Tesla app does all of that allowing you to plug in anytime and without needing to unplug the car in the night - not sure where those ideas came from?

The only mental maths needed is to add a % to the charge limit rather than an off time. For many a % is far more useful than an off time if you actually need to have a certain % charge available but I do know that some like to cram as much cheap energy in within the cheap rate which is when you need to know if 4 (or whatever) hours is an extra 11%, 30% etc.

I also struggled with this. I obviously hit Google and YouTube too, but there is definitely a lack of guides on the specific options and the benefits/drawbacks to each.

I would recommend making a list of what is important to you -

I presume that there is a bottom line spec for all chargers, I don't know what that is but, for example, I presume all can be set to come on and off at set times? After that, personally I don't need it to perform tricks or win any design awards I want the cheapest of the most reliable ones. I'll trawl through the trustpilot reviews and see where that leads me.

I presume that there is a bottom line spec for all chargers, I don't know what that is but, for example, I presume all can be set to come on and off at set times? After that, personally I don't need it to perform tricks or win any design awards I want the cheapest of the most reliable ones. I'll trawl through the trustpilot reviews and see where that leads me.

Some will not have any timing features ... but you can set your time on the car. And yes they all do the same thing in terms of delivering AC mains to the car at 7kW. The issue to be aware of is that the cheapest ones will likely be the most expensive to have installed. The installers like ones which have earth protection built in so they don't need to worry about an earth rod ... and ones which include a special RCD/breaker (RCBO) that includes DC protection as well as AC and overcurrent. That makes the job easier, quicker and therefore cheaper. (The cheapest ones will also not be eligible for the £350 grant assistance.)

Had a Hypervolt installed on Weds. It was a bit of a faff to get the App to talk to the charger, which necessitated a call to Hypervolt, but they sorted it and all is well.

charger.png

I have downloaded the governments list of approved EV chargers and there are many dozens on there but from that list I've only ever heard of the below. Is that because they are the best of because they are better at marketing their boxes?

EVBox
Hypervolt Limited
Pod Point Ltd
Wallbox Chargers

Which EV home charger to go for . . . . . . I am sure that question has been asked before - is there a consensus?

The Tesla app does all of that allowing you to plug in anytime and without needing to unplug the car in the night - not sure where those ideas came from?

The only mental maths needed is to add a % to the charge limit rather than an off time. For many a % is far more useful than an off time if you actually need to have a certain % charge available but I do know that some like to cram as much cheap energy in within the cheap rate which is when you need to know if 4 (or whatever) hours is an extra 11%, 30% etc.

I found that the car/app wouldn't let me set a desired limit of less that 50% the other week when the car wouldn't have reached that level in my 4 hour window, which may or may not be of interest to anyone also using this approach (as I do too).

Does the M3 come a cable for those who choose an untethered charger or is it an extra? How long is it?
You get a "mobile connector" that has a Type 2 plug on one end and interchangeable connectors for the other end, although you only get a 13A plug with the car - others like Commando can be bought. I think this one is 6m.

You also get a Type 2-Type 2 cable which I think is wired for 3-phase and is long enough to reach from one side of the car to the other - somewhere between 2.5 and 3m. Sometimes these are in short supply and you get it after taking delivery, but you won't find out until you collect the car.

You get a "mobile connector" that has a Type 2 plug on one end and interchangeable connectors for the other end, although you only get a 13A plug with the car - others like Commando can be bought. I think this one is 6m.

Does that read as . . The car comes with a 6m cable with a type 2 plug on none end and a 13 amp plug on the other end?

You also get a Type 2-Type 2 cable which I think is wired for 3-phase and is long enough to reach from one side of the car to the other - somewhere between 2.5 and 3m. Sometimes these are in short supply and you get it after taking delivery, but you won't find out until you collect the car.

Does that read as . . The car comes with a 2.5-3m cable that has a Type 2 3-phase plug on one end and (what on the other end?)?

Does that read as . . The car comes with a 6m cable with a type 2 plug on none end and a 13 amp plug on the other end?

Not quite, it's a Type-2 cable with a box of tricks on the other end. You then get a second short cable that connects to the box of tricks to provide the connector you want at the other, in the UK it is only supplied with a 13A plug version but it will support nine other connectors although not all of them are for sale in the UK. There's a reasonably detailed article here:

Something to be aware of if you plan to use it, when in use this will draw 13A constantly so make sure it's plugged into a circuit that can cope with that or you might find load related problems such as tripping out at your consumer unit.

Does that read as . . The car comes with a 2.5-3m cable that has a Type 2 3-phase plug on one end and (what on the other end?)?

It's a cable with Type-2 connectors on each end, I think it's officially listed as 2.7m or 2.8m but I can't find the reference at the moment. I only have single phase so I can't confirm that it is wired for 3-Phase but I think it is - I'm sure someone will be along in a minute with a definitive answer.

Basically this cable is about long enough to allow the car to be parked with a supply point located at the right rear corner and still be able to reach.

Reactions: Forty_Two
It's a cable with Type-2 connectors on each end, I think it's officially listed as 2.7m or 2.8m but I can't find the reference at the moment. I only have single phase so I can't confirm that it is wired for 3-Phase but I think it is - I'm sure someone will be along in a minute with a definitive answer.

Basically this cable is about long enough to allow the car to be parked with a supply point located at the right rear corner and still be able to reach.
Unless its been changed recently, the type 2 cable is around 5 m long. The blue one I got with my car in June is manufactured by Menekes and is the same one I have seen attached to number of Teslas.

And the Type 2 to Type 2 cable is capable of three phase charging, although the Model 3 SR+ that I have can only draw 11kw so I don’t think they have to be particularly heavy duty if you ever wanted to replace it with a longer one.
Be wary of replacement 3-phase cables that only rated for 16A per phase - that will be perfectly ok on a 3-phase 11kW supply point at 16A per phase for the Model 3 at AC charge points in shops and car parks. It will be a thinner lighter cable and will be easier to handle.
However if you use the same cable for an untethered home charge point you will overload one of the phase cores as the current is increased to 32A on single phase supply.
So, even for 3-phase, a 32A rated cable would be the safest.
Take care

Reactions: Vidyutyaan
Unless its been changed recently, the type 2 cable is around 5 m long. The blue one I got with my car in June is manufactured by Menekes and is the same one I have seen attached to number of Teslas.
When I bought my Tesla wall charger 32A 3Phase (I use single phase), I had the choice of a 2.6m or 7.4m cable, I chose the 7.4m cable as I needed it to charge two parallel cars in the garage.

I had a Rolec wall box (untethered) installed a few years back for my plug in Hybrid. How can I see if it's 1 or 3 phase and 16A/32A? It has it’s own breaker in the switch box and a thick grey cable from the switch box to the Rolec wall box. Are there any numbers/symbols to look for? Or do I need an electrician to check it for me?

In considering the question of tethered or untethered I wondered if there are many instances of cable theft i.e. untethered cables being 'untethered' and stolen? How do I quantify that as a problem or not?
Personally my decision on this came down to convenience and avoiding potentially annoying situations. Unless you have two Ev’s with different ports (unlikely but not impossible), having a tethered charger just reduces potential for having to faff about. I.e if you buy an untethered charger and only have one type two/ccs cable (or whatever your ev uses) if you need to travel somewhere with said cable you need to plug it back in at both ends when you get home (+ potential to lose or forget said cable). So you may end up buying another and just leaving it plugged in anyway.

Pro I guess is that in the unlikely situation where you have a problem with the cable, it’s an easy swap. Just food for thought and things I considered before ordering tethered. For me, the tethered charger just removes a potential for faff… which I’m all about. It’s always there ready to go, I just grab it and plug in, with the other type 2 and granny charger in the boot at all times (for trips, getting out of trouble in a pinch etc…)

Edit: I guess another aspect you could consider a ‘con’ for untethered is that they require another connection point on the charger side, which is external and adds parts/complexity to the unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adopado
Helpful youtube clip

1. What is the size of the main cut out fuse? (DNO upgrade to 100amp?)
2. What's the size of the meter tails 16mm/25mm. (DNO upgrade?)
3. Do I have a looped service.
4. What is my MPAN number (18 digit in rectangular boxes on the electric bill).
5. Do I have main bonding to the gas and water?
6. Is there a spare fuse in the fuse box?
7. Where do I want the charger point located?
8. Route of wiring?
9. What function do I want from charger (timed charger for cheaper overnight tariff / solar?).
10. Tethered or undeterred?
11. Appearance - does it light up advertising its presence - what colour?

Reactions: Campi and debrooker