Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charger Tesla or Other?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need to place an order for a home charger for my upcoming Plaid. If I think that I may own another brand EV in the future, should I buy a non-tesla charger? What are the positives/negatives of going with the Tesla charger vs another brand? If I should go with another brand, which one should I pick? My charger will be under cover with light exposure to the elements if that makes a difference.

Basically, I want the best charger I can get for my Plaid while protecting myself in case I buy a Rivian or something down the road.

Feedback appreciated!

I dono about other chargers but I have the Tesla HPWC and I love it. Being able to charge at 80 Amps is great and it really helps when I do a quick turn and burn.
The HPWC is made to work outdoors in direct contact with the elements and I've seen plenty at hotels and wineries that get constantly beat up by weather and do great.
If you do get a different car in the future there is an adapter you can buy to convert from a tesla plug to a J1772 plug that everyone else uses, so you can continue to use the HPWC.

Reactions: Cysco
For what it's worth the big part of getting the install done is getting the wiring to the charger location. Swapping out chargers after that if needed is not too hard and there is a market for used Tesla chargers.

This may have changed recently - but when I hunted for a home charger a year ago the other brands seemed to be about the same price or more while providing less charging amps.

Reactions: 2101Guy and Cysco
I dono about other chargers but I have the Tesla HPWC and I love it. Being able to charge at 80 Amps is great and it really helps when I do a quick turn and burn.
The HPWC is made to work outdoors in direct contact with the elements and I've seen plenty at hotels and wineries that get constantly beat up by weather and do great.
If you do get a different car in the future there is an adapter you can buy to convert from a tesla plug to a J1772 plug that everyone else uses, so you can continue to use the HPWC.
New cars can’t use 80 amp. I believe limited to 48A?

I have an OpenEVSE, very satisfied.

Reactions: KyleDay
For what I spent on my HPWC, if I had it to do all over I would be buying a 3rd party J1772 and an additional adapter.

The HPWC is a beautiful piece and looks great on the wall, but does limit my options.

What is appealing now with the SC network opening up to J1772 cars, is the J1772 to SC adapter becoming available.

I use a Clipper Creek 40A charger and I am very satisfied with it. It's quiet, has a long cord, and has worked well for as long as I've had it. And they have quite a few connection options (different amperage options, wired vs. non-wired). Mine is a plug in version that plugs into a 6-50 outlet. I originally put in a 6-50 outlet because my first EVSE was a GE Wattstation and that is the kind of plug those units used at the time. The GE Wattstation was not a good unit -- it was loud and had a short cord, and it died after a couple of years, but that is a different story.

The downsides of the Clipper Creek (or similar) are:
1) Having to use an adapter to go J1772 to Tesla plug. I bought an extra adapter that I just keep connected to it pretty much all the time. Not a big deal, but not as nice as just having the matching plug end.
2) No button to open the charge port. This can be annoying sometimes, because sometimes the charge door closes on you right as you get there with the charge cord, and then you have to either get back in the car or go into the mobile app to open the port door again.

All in all, I'm happy with the Clipper Creek and would do it again.

• Informative
Reactions: All In
2) No button to open the charge port. This can be annoying sometimes, because sometimes the charge door closes on you right as you get there with the charge cord, and then you have to either get back in the car or go into the mobile app to open the port door again.

Why can't you just tap on the charge port door to open it? I'm pretty sure that's how mine works.

Reactions: airborne spoon
I could be wrong about this but I was under the impression that all recent Teslas (including Plaid of course) cap out at 48A charge on home chargers. Effectively you need a charger that can hit that and a circuit (125% of max amp charge - so >70A for a 50A charger). But regardless of what type of charger/circuit you have, the newer models all tap out at 48A. No benefit to a charger capable of more than that. (And also I think the current Tesla wall charger also caps out at that amount, regardless.)

Presuming that's correct, I like the ChargePoint Home Flex (buy direct, not ripoff amazon reseller).

For what I spent on my HPWC, if I had it to do all over I would be buying a 3rd party J1772 and an additional adapter.

The HPWC is a beautiful piece and looks great on the wall, but does limit my options.

What is appealing now with the SC network opening up to J1772 cars, is the J1772 to SC adapter becoming available.
I dono why your HPWC setup was expensive based on the context of your statement. but I got a brand new one off FB marketplace for $300 and i did a 50ft ish run from the breaker box and bought all the wiring and conduit myself and DIY install it was like $250 or so, making the out the door cost about $550+/-.
Also how does it limit your options? It is capable of outputting up to 80A (19kW) and you can easily buy a tesla to J1772 adapter to use on a different car.

The SC network potentially opening to other cars sucks ass and on another note the max power that is supposed to flow through a J1772 plug is 80A so it would be a CSS or CHAdeMO adapter to tesla that people would have to use. But opening the SC network is a terrible idea and i dont support it because the lines are already long with just Tesla's out there adding another like 2% of drivers will be overwhelming lines.
I could be wrong about this but I was under the impression that all recent Teslas (including Plaid of course) cap out at 48A charge on home chargers. Effectively you need a charger that can hit that and a circuit (125% of max amp charge - so >70A for a 50A charger). But regardless of what type of charger/circuit you have, the newer models all tap out at 48A. No benefit to a charger capable of more than that. (And also I think the current Tesla wall charger also caps out at that amount, regardless.)

Presuming that's correct, I like the ChargePoint Home Flex (buy direct, not ripoff amazon reseller).
I hear different numbers from everyone, i think there was a period where it wasn't 80A but before they capped it to 48A which is where confusion seems to come from. I'm super glad i can charge at 80A on my car, maybe that'll help the resale value, although i have no intention of ever selling my car, i paid it off in like 3 years and I'm gonna keep rolling with it for as long as i can.

You spent over $100K on your car and questioning a $500 charger? Not picking on you but someone used that logic on me and I didn't spend as much on my Tesla.

BTW, you can't do 80A with GEN 3 wall charger, you need to get an older GEN 2 wall charger and they are selling for more than GEN 3's at times.

I had a ChargePoint home at my old house. Great charger, had it installed for my leaf and used it with my 3. Would totally recommend this charger to anyone unless they own a Tesla. When I built the new house I have a wall connector installed. It is so much easier using the wall connector with the tesla. No adapter to find and plugin each time. No funny dance to get the adapter out before the charge port door closes. My favorite part is no adaptor rattling around in my cupholder every single drive (granted, I could have put it somewhere else). There are Tesla to J1772 adapters for sale on amazon. I picked one up so my parents can charge their Bolt at my house when they come over. I feel like having an adapter I use sometimes is better than an adapter I have to use all the time.

I am not sure if other wall connectors besides the Tesla can put out the max 48A on a 60A circuit, which is the maximum all new, current, and Tesla's built within the last few years can do. It seems like other chargers max out at 40A. I get 44 miles an hour consistently of added charge at 240V. I don't think another charger can beat that for new Teslas.