Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home made jack pad for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you look closely you can see the bottom of the battery pack shield protrudes slightly below the level of the car's jack pad surface. So the hockey puck allows you to clear that yet center the floor jack's cup on the jack pad's center (assuming you have one of those jacks with a wide cup)

Actually, to completely clear the battery shield, you need two hockey stacked. I have two floor jacks and when I rotate, I lift one side using 4 hockey pucks(two on the front and two on the back). It's possible to get away with just one, but then you have to make sure the lift pad doesn't overlap underneath the battery shield. By using two, you don't have to really be careful of this.

Actually, to completely clear the battery shield, you need two hockey stacked. I have two floor jacks and when I rotate, I lift one side using 4 hockey pucks(two on the front and two on the back). It's possible to get away with just one, but then you have to make sure the lift pad doesn't overlap underneath the battery shield. By using two, you don't have to really be careful of this.
ok, good to know, thx. (guess that's why the 2x3 wood pad as built by the OP is still probably superior)
I am still in the process of gathering the few final supplies for seasonal tire change,
good thing pucks are only around 99cents here in hockey country, not $8 like they appear to be in Hawaii :)

Reactions: Akikiki
I'm glad you posted this. I like the lifting block and the info about the hockey pucks. I like your block better. I think it would work with my current jack stands as long as the wood doesn't split. If it was made out of hockey puck plastic, that would be the best.

The wood won't split and it is better than the hockey pucks but not many will go through the effort to make super cool custom lift pads :)

Four hockey pucks...

just screw a puck onto each pad, roughly centered (stainless steel screw, countersink the screwheads into the puck a bit) forget about the dowel

and leave them on the car

be done with it

I built one of these for our Model S Signatures, but the spacing on these very early pads is different. I haven't gotten an exact measurement, but it appears that the 80.5mm distance is to the outer edge of the two 1" dowels on our Sigs (rather then an on-center distance). I'm going to built another one with that spacing -- I really like the idea!

After failing to find a proper jack pad for my Model S, I decided to make one myself out of the wood. I wanted something that would use entire jacking surface and would not slip. I also wanted something that would self-center to use this entire jacking surface.
It took me quite a few hours to get it right, so I am sharing my final dimensions with the community (all dimensions are im mm).

I ended up doing something very similar. Getting pilot sports installed at Costco and didn't trust that they'd lift from the pads correctly, so I ended up doing something similar. I cut two 5.5" by 3" pieces of double laminated 1.5" pine shelving for each pad one with the grain and one against the grain so that I get cross grain strength. Not sure if that's really necessary as the board is already laminated cross grain.

I only used the center 1" dowel as it was more than enough to stick firmly in the center hole and keep the pads in place. They clearly chose this side because 1" wood dowels, available everywhere, fit perfectly.

The dowels are screwed and bolted to the wood that contacts the pad. Starting with the top of the dowel, 1) 2.5" screw that goes through hole drilled in dowel and first 1.5" block. The screw holds the 2) washer, 3) glue, 4) 3/4" long dowel, 5) glue, 6) block, 7) washer, 8) lock nut.
Then the second block, with a shallow hole for the nut is glued onto the first block. So the locking nut and washer are now hidden inside between the two blocks.

Total time about 2 hours.

It's at Costco now getting the tires changed. They had me do the final OK on the lift alignment before.

20170122_165226-X3.jpg

20170122_165230-X3.jpg

This is very useful. Previous posts guided me to http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/. These jack stands support the car without relying on the jack to remain in position. In addition, the stands come with jack pads that will not harm the Tesla. They are much safer BUT much more expensive. In addition, they are very big, heavy, and difficult to carry in the care during trips. Your solution is cheap, functional and compact enough to carry on the road.
His idea is great but pricing is ridiculous . Top of the line USA made jackstands are $120 for a set.
Amazon.com: Hein-Werner HW93506 Blue/Yellow Jack Stands, 6 Ton Capacity (Set of 2): Automotive

I wonder if he has ever thought that lowering prices may attract many more buyers. I know id buy them if the price was right.

Thank you Nick_083 for the great template and the time you spent designing it. Im about to start building a couple. I copied the design in illustrator and added some cross hairs on the circles.

For anyone interested, I have attached the PDF file. When you print it, be sure to set DO NOT SCALE in adobe acrobat reader. It will print it in real size. My goal (not sure if it will work yet) is to just place it on top of my wood piece and use the cross hairs to mark where the holes go.

Attachments

• Tesla Model S Jack Pad.pdf
    93.3 KB · Views: 320
20170501_222725.jpg
Thank you Nick_083 for the great template and the time you spent designing it. Im about to start building a couple. I copied the design in illustrator and added some cross hairs on the circles.

For anyone interested, I have attached the PDF file. When you print it, be sure to set DO NOT SCALE in adobe acrobat reader. It will print it in real size. My goal (not sure if it will work yet) is to just place it on top of my wood piece and use the cross hairs to mark where the holes go.
Took an hour and came out perfect. I used the template and made a little hole at the cross hairs. Used a permanent market to let it bleed through on to the wood. No measuring was needed!

I just hope the wood doesnt crack. Not sure if I bought the right one. Its the only 2x3 home depot had

Last edited: