Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink DIY install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems Tesla OEM or MyQ paid subscription is the nly reliable and guaranteed way.
Used module route doesn’t make sense now
incorrect! used modules of the correct part number will always work! 1114984-00-B
MyQ Paid subscription is completely STUPID! I'll use it till the free trial is up and then switch to paying yearly for Nabucasa and have my Homeassistant system fully accessible from my model y!

okay. let's see.
you pay $210-$350 for the used unit off of eBay (most are 2-3+ years old from wrecked M3s.) and you spend at least about an hour of your time to install and activate it and set up and you have 2-3 year old unit from wrecked car, which might or might not impact the life of the unit due to impact).
or
Pay $350 and let Tesla do the install/activation and setup.
or
Pay $179 or 5 year subscription for the MyQ integration.

Last edited:
okay. let's see.
you pay $210-$350 for the used unit off of eBay (most are 2-3+ years old from wrecked M3s.) and you spend at least about an hour of your time to install and activate it and set up and you have 2-3 year old unit from wrecked car, which might or might not impact the life of the unit due to impact).
or
Pay $350 and let Tesla do the install/activation and setup.
or
Pay $179 or 5 year subscription for the MyQ integration.
Fair point, but I got my used unit for $85 and it becomes a feature of the car for the future. I also find MyQ, at least in my case, only marginally reliable. One of my doors hasn't worked for MyQ in a year and I still haven't figured out why (though I haven't tried super hard either)

I just got a new model y and ordered the one from Tesla directly.
Now im seeing this thread. I looked on ebay and they seem to be going for at least $300 on ebay. How is everyone getting such crazy good prices?
They were way cheaper like two weeks ago. Demand is high now that we're able to activate it ourselves. That said, I was able to snag one a couple days ago for about $175, so deals pop up here and there. Other Tesla parts web sites sell the HL module too, so it's worth looking around.

They were way cheaper like two weeks ago. Demand is high now that we're able to activate it ourselves. That said, I was able to snag one a couple days ago for about $175, so deals pop up here and there. Other Tesla parts web sites sell the HL module too, so it's worth looking around.
Thanks Bryan
Prices have indeed went up. Looking at history and they sold for much less. At this price point it might not be worth DIY

I just tried installing the 1097814-00-A into my 2022 Model 3 and it did not work. I was able to physically install it no problem, and I went into the service menu and enabled Homelink no problem. When I went to program the Homelink, it would never get past step 1 when it is supposed to learn the signal from the remote. The remote works very well and I had it right up against the module. I tried holding it down for a few minutes (making my garage door go up and down the whole time) and also clicking it for a second or two over and over again. The remote would not program to the car. I know the remote and my garage opener can be used with Homelink because I had them programmed on my old Hyundai. Oh well. I bought the actual Model 3 module 1114984-00-B and will give that a try next week.

Good info, does it say the HomeLink module is installed when you go into Additional Vehicle Information?

Reactions: everydaychris
I just tried installing the 1097814-00-A into my 2022 Model 3 and it did not work. I was able to physically install it no problem, and I went into the service menu and enabled Homelink no problem. When I went to program the Homelink, it would never get past step 1 when it is supposed to learn the signal from the remote. The remote works very well and I had it right up against the module. I tried holding it down for a few minutes (making my garage door go up and down the whole time) and also clicking it for a second or two over and over again. The remote would not program to the car. I know the remote and my garage opener can be used with Homelink because I had them programmed on my old Hyundai. Oh well. I bought the actual Model 3 module 1114984-00-B and will give that a try next week.

Today I installed 1114984-00-B into my 2022 M3LR and I was able to program it without issue. On the previous module I tried, 1097814-00-A, the learn process would never progress to step 2. With the new module 1114984-00-B the process immediately went to step 2 and learned the remote signal immediately. This confirms that 1097814-00-A does not work with the M3LR.

I'll be picking up my 23 Y this weekend and will be installing 1114984-00-A. Others have had success with this same part no. I'm almost certain it's the same as 1114984-00-B with a slight difference to the connector location. I only paid $85 and it looks to be in new condition

Are the Home Link frequencies different between different localities? If a HL module came from another country, does it need to be "coded" to the US, or is it smart enough to know to use the correct frequency based on the locality of the vehicle? Thanks.

Hey everyone, I take delivery of a M3 RWD next week. I was wondering if it’s still possible to program the homelink module through the service menu of the car? I can get my hands on a module and install it myself, not an issue, just wondering if it actually is possible to program it myself without Tesla service.

Attachments

• 20220522_120217.jpg
    20220522_120217.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: giotto1
I just installed the Homelink with bracket. I bought a new one on ebay for 189+ shipping & taxes. I snapped some install pics. I fumbled around until I found a mounting location just above the driver side crash beam. I don't have an inverted torx socket so I hand tightened the nut that came with the bracket.
20230213_200458.JPG
20230213_202104.JPG
20230213_201656.JPG
20230213_201843.JPG
20230213_201919.JPG
20230213_201947.JPG
20230213_202136.JPG

Reactions: RoBoRaT