Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink for Model Y - Is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a physical sensor that is placed on the door. The picture is not how the one I have looks and mine is at the top of my garage door, but it works the same. If the sensor that is on the garage door is not sensed by the sensor that is on the wall, then it reads the garage door as open.
1666393149592.png

Reactions: Electroman
I am trying to understand point 1.

So in a situation say the garage door is already open, and you are coming into your house, this product will somehow know the door is already open and so it won't send a signal, and thus avoiding closing inadvertently? And vice versa?

How does it know what state the garage door is in?
Mainly I'm looking to avoid the "did I forget to close the garage door" question... But what you're saying here is also the problem with Homelink -- if you're coming home and your garage door is open, it will try to shut it and kill your family members...unless you remember to click Cancel on the Tesla screen.

IQ3 has a wired door sensor that connects to your garage door track. In the event you have the type of door with a latch or bottom cable hardware that will hit this sensor, then you buy their "above door mount" sensor instead. Both sensors know 100% if your garage door is opened or closed. I have not received my IQ3 yet but I'm guessing since it knows if your garage is opened, it will not close it thinking it's opening it.

FYI, some other product like MyQ have a door sensor too but the MyQ uses a wireless sensor and according to forums it's unreliable, susceptible to interference from fluorescent lights some say but bottom line is sensor may not work. I like a wired sensor for this. The IQ3 is a very simple wired magnetic sensor that should work all the time and no batteries to worry about either. May take a few minute to run the wire but that is OK with me -- only a short distance from garage door opener to side rail.

Kill? Dramatize too much?

Anyway thanks for all the details. That was really helpful.
I wasn't being serious ;-) There is certainly a small risk of injury if the door closes and someone is standing there or there is an object in the way. There is a larger risk the door will damage an open trunk or hatch. Just look around and see all the mysterious dents on the middle of the rear SUV hatches -- nearly all of those are a garage door incidents. Of course all garage doors have the safety feature that tries to detect an object in the way yet a person can be standing beneath the door and not break this beam i.e. one leg past the beam and another before the beam. In the case of hatches and trunks, they are above the beam and won't be detected at all.

The bottom line for me, is the Homelink is a dumb over-priced device that only knows when it's near the garage and it either opens or closes the door not knowing the difference. The Tailwind IQ3 is theoretically better in nearly every aspect except it doesn't have a button in the Tesla app. But it works with Google and Alexa and can open the door when the car is not present -- to me that's better. I've not yet received my IQ3, so hopefully it will perform as well as the forum users say!

• Informative
I wasn't being serious ;-) There is certainly a small risk of injury if the door closes and someone is standing there or there is an object in the way. There is a larger risk the door will damage an open trunk or hatch. Just look around and see all the mysterious dents on the middle of the rear SUV hatches -- nearly all of those are a garage door incidents. Of course all garage doors have the safety feature that tries to detect an object in the way yet a person can be standing beneath the door and not break this beam i.e. one leg past the beam and another before the beam. In the case of hatches and trunks, they are above the beam and won't be detected at all.

The bottom line for me, is the Homelink is a dumb over-priced device that only knows when it's near the garage and it either opens or closes the door not knowing the difference. The Tailwind IQ3 is theoretically better in nearly every aspect except it doesn't have a button in the Tesla app. But it works with Google and Alexa and can open the door when the car is not present -- to me that's better. I've not yet received my IQ3, so hopefully it will perform as well as the forum users say!
my door on tesla homelink will not close if something is blocking the door whether it's a person, car or anything else. There should be sensors at the bottom of the door on both sides that create an invisible beam across the door opening to detect an object........is this not standard, I don't know?

I have the 'myQ Smart Garage Control' on my garage doors (They are ~$15 when on sale). There is a 'Garage Hub' and then each garage door gets a 'Smart Door Sensor' attached (a small tilt/switch that gets double-sided taped to the door). I bought 3 kits, and tossed two hubs away... one hub can control a handful of 'sensors'.. (again, when they are on sale the kit is $15)

It has an iOS and Android app that lets you control your garage doors from anywhere (open, close.. see if they are open.. etc). The App does not do 'geofencing' (open/close when you are close)... However, there are 3rd party ways to do that. I use a 'HomeBridge' plugin that allows Apple Homekit to control the myQ hub. Anyway... for the price its a great mobile phone option that works with most garage doors.

Having said all that... I just had the Homelink/Automatic garage door opener installed in my MYP and IMHO it's worth the price. A big button on the screen for opening/closing the garage door (when you are around home). And once you dial in the automatic open/close it works 98% of the time, every time (and when it doesn't work i just push the big button on the screen).

I don’t know how dumb Homelink is…I thought it was great when I had it when it was included. However, I have had Tailwind for some time now, and it is very good.

I have both MyQ and Tailwind. Tailwind is way better than MyQ since the open/closed sensor is hardwired and more reliable. I had to replace the battery on MyQ door sensor after just 1 year. You'll never need to replace any batteries on the Tailwind. Also, I setup routines and geofence to open the garage door when I arrive home. It has worked flawless as long as my internet is up. Sometimes there is a delay by MyQ in opening the garage door whereas I don't have that issue with Tailwind.

• Informative
Reactions: GOVA
I have both MyQ and Tailwind. Tailwind is way better than MyQ since the open/closed sensor is hardwired and more reliable. I had to replace the battery on MyQ door sensor after just 1 year. You'll never need to replace any batteries on the Tailwind. Also, I setup routines and geofence to open the garage door when I arrive home. It has worked flawless as long as my internet is up. Sometimes there is a delay by MyQ in opening the garage door whereas I don't have that issue with Tailwind.
I agree Tailwind is great. However, if you have Tailwind and an iPhone you will need to replace the batteries as there is a sensor that must stay in the car. It needs to be replaced about the same as the MyQ sensor.

Question for those with Homelink, is it only automatic or can you manually open and close the garage? I read somewhere that it has to be set to automatic so when you're near your garage, it'll auto open. I rather have manual control, is that possible?

Question for those with Homelink, is it only automatic or can you manually open and close the garage? I read somewhere that it has to be set to automatic so when you're near your garage, it'll auto open. I rather have manual control, is that possible?
Manual can be set up same as the auto. Push a button and it brings up all doors linked with whatever you name them. I just had mine installed and the auto portion isn’t working very well for me yet, but the manual is so easy I’ll just stick with that I imagine.

44.25.3 supports MyQ. I just tried it and the first time leaving it didn't close the door but the screen showed it open and I was able to close if from the car. It did open automatically when I returned. MyQ also allows an Amazon delivery option for packages to be put in the garage rather than at the front door. I like that feature. It appears a subscription to MyQ in needed and it is $45 a year. I'm taking the 30 day free trial but suspect I'll keep it.

OMG, I did not realize Tesla has cheaped out so much since the M3/Y release. I stopped buying Teslas after 2018 because of the service deterioration after M3 flood (think yellowing screens in a new months old Model S, Tesla says it's normal wear and tear, no more loaners, charging diagnostics for cars under warranty for which owners bring videos of car misbehaving but Tesla cannot repro it, etc). That an I could not convince myself to use a stalkless yoke. Not only do they not include homelink, they don't even make it an option to order on a new car! I get logistics optimization, nickel-and-diming customers for key fobs and stuff, but why is this not available to be installed before delivery? What's next, the car doesn't come with steering wheel (ready for FSD) but you can order one separately and schedule installation (but maybe only after FSD is ready enough to drive the car from your garage to the service center, or you have to pay for towing)?🤦‍♂️