Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink for Model Y - Is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dramatization of trivial things may get you some brownie points, but it is just that. In terms of how to get that installed, is no biggie. You order it through your Tesla account after you pick up your car and service person comes to your home in a few days and installs it in less than 30 minutes.
Where did see that guarantee that the service person comes for free to you house, even if you live outside of the mobile tech service area? Or are you just assuming everyone in the world is in the same situation as you? Or are you preaching that FSD will soon be able to drive the car to the service center to get the homelink installed, and you are a true Elon believer and you would bet you life on FSD coming any day now?

Last edited:
Just a heads up, don’t use the auto close feature. I was moving my wife’s car out when I got home so I could charge in her garage space and my MYLR thought I was leaving and it closed on my hatch while I was backing in. Sure it was my fault but the closing feature doesn’t make any warning sounds like it does in the myQ app, which I hadn’t known prior. Try to only use auto-open feature.

Reactions: electricar
Dramatization of trivial things may get you some brownie points, but it is just that. In terms of how to get that installed, is no biggie. You order it through your Tesla account after you pick up your car and service person comes to your home in a few days and installs it in less than 30 minutes.
It was pretty painless they came to my work I didn't even see them. Called when they got there and called when they were done.

• Love
Reactions: Electroman
Just a heads up, don’t use the auto close feature. I was moving my wife’s car out when I got home so I could charge in her garage space and my MYLR thought I was leaving and it closed on my hatch while I was backing in. Sure it was my fault but the closing feature doesn’t make any warning sounds like it does in the myQ app, which I hadn’t known prior. Try to only use auto-open feature.
There is an option you can select in the homelink settings that beeps inside your car when it sends a signal. I find this rather convenient.

There is a right way of using the automated open/close feature which is to hit the activate button BEFORE you select drive or reverse when exiting the garage. If you do not do this, it will skip the auto close function (says so on the screen) and you will need to close the door by pressing activate after you left the garage as it will not close on it's own and at the same time re-syncs automated the operations

There is an option you can select in the homelink settings that beeps inside your car when it sends a signal. I find this rather convenient.

There is a right way of using the automated open/close feature which is to hit the activate button BEFORE you select drive or reverse when exiting the garage. If you do not do this, it will skip the auto close function (says so on the screen) and you will need to close the door by pressing activate after you left the garage as it will not close on it's own and at the same time re-syncs automated the operations
IDK, if I have to hit buttons anyway, the door automation is.....not automated.

I'm happy just pushing the remote I've got velcro'd behind the screen.

I'm kind of glad I didn't spring for the HomeLink. The recently added MyQ integration does a perfect job opening/closing my door as I approach the house. I did the 30 day trial and then sprung for a $45 one year subscription. I still have my small remote velcro'd to the back of my screen if needed. I'll see how the year goes and then decide if I continue with the MyQ.

I did the same also for over a year and finally broke down when I saw how useful/cool it was when I got the S which does come with it. Had it installed on the Y shortly thereafter. You need to actually try it before you can determine if it is worthwhile or not.
I've run the MyQ interface to my garage door for the last 2 months. Meh.
Cute, but not worth even the 45/yr fee.
It misbehaved just often enough to make it more effort than worth. had to watch it - always.

I had Homelink on a previous vehicle in a previous residence, with gates and garage to navigate.
But it too required buttons; one for each. Not a big deal but again, the same as using a remote.

And if I took the vehicle in for service, still needed a remote to get back in the house. So....

???

I don't have to press anything while exiting the garage or entering. It automatically closes when I reverse and traverse some distance (20 feet I guess) and opens when I come close to garage. All without touching any button. The beep helps.

I've run the MyQ interface to my garage door for the last 2 months. Meh.
Cute, but not worth even the 45/yr fee.
It misbehaved just often enough to make it more effort than worth. had to watch it - always.

I had Homelink on a previous vehicle in a previous residence, with gates and garage to navigate.
But it too required buttons; one for each. Not a big deal but again, the same as using a remote.

???

I don't have to press anything while exiting the garage or entering. It automatically closes when I reverse and traverse some distance (20 feet I guess) and opens when I come close to garage. All without touching any button. The beep helps.
MyQ works in exactly the same way. You can set the distance at which it initiates open/close. It beeps for each action.
But it does hiccup on occasion enough to demand a watchful eye on it. So.....meh. Just push the remote button already.

Gotta have a remote to get back in the house when I take the vehicle in for service, new tires, etc anyway.
I'm happy with the remote.

My previous vehicle Homelink function used buttons to activate each gate / door.
Unlike a separate remote, they were factory / permanent in the car, and had to be programmed for each peripheral.
It was not automated as newer versions tend to be.

Well maybe I am doing something wrong? Please tell me how it knows when you are leaving your garage and needs to open without hitting the activate button manually? Does yours open when you select drive or reverse? Same thing when you return to your garage, how does it know you are in the garage and want it to close. It does automatically close after I leave and opens when I return.

Last edited:
TL;DR: the many other helpful comments (my apologies), but just letting you know my 2018 Model S originally came with Homelink and as I recall, the Only fault was when I was approaching home and the car sent a signal to activate the garage door, only to find my wife was outside raking leaves and standing quite near the ALREADY OPEN garage, and the door suddenly rolling down startled the heck out of her.

So I'm not sure how the new version is now, but the Homelink unit on my S was able to be set at activation distances from quite far away and I suggest setting your activation signal to go off nearer, like +/-20 feet or otherwise close enough, that you can see the situation around your garage door in time to click it off if need be.

But otherwise, for me at least, Homelink functioned flawlessly and I do miss it.

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
Well maybe I am doing something wrong? Please tell me how it knows when you are leaving your garage and needs to open without hitting the activate button manually? Does yours open when you select drive or reverse? Same thing when you return to your garage, how does it know you are in the garage and want it to close.
GPS location based. When you move away from that location it sends the signal, when you move closer again it sends signal. It just works flawlessly 100% of the time when I arrive and move towards garage, and works close to 80% of the time when I go out and move away from my garage.

@Electroman

When your car is inside the garage a few feet away from the closed door as in 99% of all applications and you want to exit, no way is gps going to activate after you move a few inches and even if it did you would have to stop and wait for the door to open before proceeding. Again, how does the garage door open when you leave without hitting the activate button?

Last edited:
@Electroman

When your car is inside the garage a few feet away from the closed door as in 99% of all applications and you want to exit, no way is gps going to activate after you move a few inches and even if it did you would have to stop and wait for the door to open before proceeding. Again, how does the garage door open when you leave without hitting the activate button?
Sorry I perhaps misunderstood. Home link is NOT a solution for opening a garage door when you are inside the garage, and are about to leave. That operation should be done manually. I usually open the garage door using the button on the garage wall. Nor Homelink can be used to close the door after you get into the garage.

It is only for closing the door after you exit the garage while you are driving away. And for opening the door when you are coming from outside to your home.