Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink for Model Y - Is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed in on our 2020 and had high hopes with would work with our subdivisions powered gate. No luck. So for that reason I haven’t sprung for HL kit, just using the old “clicker” I’ve used for years. If they ever upgrade our gate than I’ll reconsider.

I installed in on our 2020 and had high hopes with would work with our subdivisions powered gate. No luck. So for that reason I haven’t sprung for HL kit, just using the old “clicker” I’ve used for years. If they ever upgrade our gate than I’ll reconsider.
My homeowners gate has a limited signal time where when I program it to my Homelink I have to serially press the button 3-4 times in succession to get it to program whereas my garage door opener I simply press and hold to program to HL. Not sure if yours is the same but might try next time. Seem to be different signal types or functions.

When I bought and had Homelink installed on my new Y last week, it was $350. I just figured Tesla raised the price of it.
yes tesla raised the price. used to be 300 USD and $400 CAD. now it's $450CAD. I tried to hold off and just use the clicker for awhile but bit the bullet and glad to have the convenience of not grabbing the clicker out of the console every time. Small convenience but adds up over time.

yes tesla raised the price. used to be 300 USD and $400 CAD. now it's $450CAD. I tried to hold off and just use the clicker for awhile but bit the bullet and glad to have the convenience of not grabbing the clicker out of the console every time. Small convenience but adds up over time.
Command strip the clicker to the back of the display screen couldn't work?
Out of sight, doesn't interfere with anything, easy to access.
no $$$

Reactions: csrpenfab
I installed a unit I got from eBay but it never showed up that first time. I do have an apt to check a loud window motor so I’ll ask the tech if he can check and activate it then. Fingers crossed. I wish there was a way to check to see if the unit is good at least lol

I will say again for those concerned about the price. Tailwind does the same thing for $60 (the difference in price requires you to set it up…took me about 30 minutes). Pull up and garage opens, drive off and it closes. I will say in the 8 months I have used it it’s worked about 90% of the time.

Reactions: akidesir
Command strip the clicker to the back of the display screen couldn't work?
Out of sight, doesn't interfere with anything, easy to access.
no $$$
don't really care for hanging a bunch of accessories all over the place. It's like nails on a chalkboard for me when I see cell phone holders on the dash. maybe it's OCD. I like it clean, tidy and don't like things that look like they're not supposed to be there

Reactions: Electroman
don't really care for hanging a bunch of accessories all over the place. It's like nails on a chalkboard for me when I see cell phone holders on the dash. maybe it's OCD. I like it clean, tidy and don't like things that look like they're not supposed to be there
behind the lower edge of the display screen places it hidden, accessible.

I agree - Cell phone holders on the dash are dirtball accessories.

Reactions: Electroman
I will say again for those concerned about the price. Tailwind does the same thing for $60 (the difference in price requires you to set it up…took me about 30 minutes). Pull up and garage opens, drive off and it closes. I will say in the 8 months I have used it it’s worked about 90% of the time.
How do these 3rd party things work? They have a GPS unit that is integrated with a unit that sends the signal?

Does that mean it will work with any car?

How do these 3rd party things work? They have a GPS unit that is integrated with a unit that sends the signal?

Does that mean it will work with any car?
Yes, it works with any car. For android id uses the phone, for iPhones there is a small Bluetooth transmitter that stays in the car, that is connected to the app on your phone. If the phone odd not in the car then the transmitter doesn’t transmit (only feature that is better than the Homelink (IMO).

Yes, it works with any car. For android id uses the phone, for iPhones there is a small Bluetooth transmitter that stays in the car, that is connected to the app on your phone. If the phone odd not in the car then the transmitter doesn’t transmit (only feature that is better than the Homelink (IMO).
So the hardware you buy replaces the myq I have set up?

So which bundle did you buy?
I just bought the $79.99 Tailwinds IQ3 Pro kit. The difference is it comes with a rail mounted door sensor and the wire. The rail mounted sensor only works if you don't have anything that moves on the door that would hit it -- like a latch or the bracket on the bottom of the door that holds the cable to reel the door up... If you have something that will hit it, you need the above door sensor instead so the Pro kit would not make sense.

Why I bought a Tailwinds IQ3 over Homelink -- for those that over-analyze like me!

I have a Model 3 with Homelink already but our new Model Y didn't come with it that led me to look at all the options. For me, it wasn't the cost of Homelink but the features it lacks that caused me to go with the Tailwinds this time.

Top 5 things Homelink is missing:

1. No way to know if the garage door is opened or closed
2. No way to use it unless the car is there
3. No Apple Watch controls if you're without your phone or car.
4. No voice app control via Google/Alexa
5. No Apple HomeKit or any other home automation products support. I'm not using Homekit yet but bought a smart lock that supports it and am trying to buy other products that do. I've been a fan of Apple TV for a while that can act as the Homekit hub.

What Tailwinds and Homelink lack that is pretty huge for me is support for Amazon Key -- where Amazon Prime subscribers can get the delivery driver to open their garage door to put packages inside. Only Chamberlain MyQ has this...so far. Some talk on the Tailwinds forum about them adding it yet that was 2 years ago. MyQ seems to have a lot of glitches based on what I've read and it has all the above Homelink weaknesses except 1. It has some half-baked PIA ways of doing 4. I hear reports that MyQ can lose its connection with the door sensor (it's wireless vs. wired for IQ3) and the network and is prone to interference from things like fluorescent lights.

I am trying to understand point 1.

So in a situation say the garage door is already open, and you are coming into your house, this product will somehow know the door is already open and so it won't send a signal, and thus avoiding closing inadvertently? And vice versa?

How does it know what state the garage door is in?

Why I bought a Tailwinds IQ3 over Homelink -- for those that over-analyze like me!

What Tailwinds and Homelink lack that is pretty huge for me is support for Amazon Key -- where Amazon Prime subscribers can get the delivery driver to open their garage door to put packages inside. Only Chamberlain MyQ has this...so far. Some talk on the Tailwinds forum about them adding it yet that was 2 years ago. MyQ seems to have a lot of glitches based on what I've read and it has all the above Homelink weaknesses except 1. It has some half-baked PIA ways of doing 4. I hear reports that MyQ can lose its connection with the door sensor (it's wireless vs. wired for IQ3) and the network and is prone to interference from things like fluorescent lights.
I am trying to understand point 1.

So in a situation say the garage door is already open, and you are coming into your house, this product will somehow know the door is already open and so it won't send a signal, and thus avoiding closing inadvertently? And vice versa?

How does it know what state the garage door is in?
So, I have both Tailwind and MyQ and use Amazon Key (I also link everything through Wink, but with some of the updates of Homekit I may relook into it.
I have had absolutely no problems with MyQ, and have had it for over 2 years. Only time I have lost connection is when the WiFi has been out, and when we lost electricity in a storm. It has been great. I use MyQ as a fall back in case Tailwind doesn't open (very rare). I also have fluorescent lights in my garage and have no issues. I had Homelink when I had my S 2015 - 2020 so I do not know what updates there have been, but I did have issues where the garage was open and the signal was sent so that it would close the garage instead of open it. The way I looked at Homelink was it is an automatic clicker. If you click your garage door opener it will either open it or close it, depending on what state the garage door is in. That is what it seems that Homelink does (or at least did). Tailwind does not do that. If the garage is open then it will not close the garage when you pull up, nothing happens. Tailwind also can give you a spoken notification whenever your garage door opens or closes (whether you are home or not..very helpful for those with kids). You can also look at the app (MyQ as well) and it will let you know whether the garage door is open or closed. The unit that you install has a sensor to know what state the garage door is in.

Reactions: AlMason