Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat Fold second row now available.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having vents in the rear is also useful for anyone keeping their pets in the cargo area. In the S the hatch has very poor ventilation even with the AC blasting on LO and 11.

Removing the vents would be yet another variant to assemble on the factory floor.
I thought one reason that the 6 and 7 seat options had such a larger incremental cost was because they included a second A/C unit. Since the 5 seat option doesn't have an incremental cost, I wouldn't think the second A/C unit would be included.

I thought one reason that the 6 and 7 seat options had such a larger incremental cost was because they included a second A/C unit. Since the 5 seat option doesn't have an incremental cost, I wouldn't think the second A/C unit would be included.

There's 2 AC units in the X? I did not know that.

Minivans have one and can cool a much larger volume of air than what's in an X. Seems inefficient (and loud) to have to startup 2 AC compressors. That's gotta kill range on short trips on hot days.

Minivans have one and can cool a much larger volume of air than what's in an X. Seems inefficient (and loud) to have to startup 2 AC compressors. That's gotta kill range on short trips on hot days.
I could be wrong. The 6 and 7 seat options do mention "Rear air conditioning and heating system included".

2016-11-04_1355.png

I would have seriously considered the five seat option if the middle rows folded flat. While I like the six seat configuration (and I do like the seats over a bench), the main reason I opted for it was so I could get longer items into the cargo area. And it is $3000 cheaper to go with the bench...

It's a great news for me who would like to carry more stuff inside my vehicle than my current Model S would.

I wished I could still have what the prototype had: 7 seats with 2 foldable rear rows.

However, this arrangement is a very good compromise for me so I am happy with this new functionality.

To summarize of what I could understand:

1) It's a 60/40 split bench
2) No monoposts. It looks like a V post.
3) the web page does mention the word "recline." I assume this is more like a "tilt" where both back and seat are slightly angled back in unison. I wonder what that horizontal lever at the side of the seat can do.
4) Rear A/C-Heating system is unknown for cargo/pets.

anything else?

3) the web page does mention the word "recline." I assume this is more like a "tilt" where both back and seat are slightly angled back in unison. I wonder what that horizontal lever at the side of the seat can do.

I think it's safe to assume they actually recline. My ~20 year old CR-V only has manual seats with a lever and pulling it allows the back to recline. I can tilt the seat backs forward or backwards.

It would be a booster, connected to the same compressor but has a small condenser. By the time the all ready cooled air from the front AC gets to the rear it would have heated up a bit, the booster then adjusts the temperature. Same goes for heating with a heat coil.
Very common, lots of cars have it especially larger limousine style cars.

Ventilation in the 5 seat configuration, from Tesla:

The 5-seater has four rearward-facing vents all powered by the central HVAC: two on the B-pillars and two at the back of the center console. In our models and testing, we found that the central HVAC has more than enough power to cool the whole car in this configuration.

The 5-seater has four rearward-facing vents all powered by the central HVAC: two on the B-pillars and two at the back of the center console. In our models and testing, we found that the central HVAC has more than enough power to cool the whole car in this configuration.

So the system is the same for both seat configs?

It's a great news for me who would like to carry more stuff inside my vehicle than my current Model S would.

I wished I could still have what the prototype had: 7 seats with 2 foldable rear rows.

However, this arrangement is a very good compromise for me so I am happy with this new functionality.

To summarize of what I could understand:

1) It's a 60/40 split bench
2) No monoposts. It looks like a V post.
4) Rear A/C-Heating system is unknown for cargo/pets.

anything else?

Wouldn't a V post look ugly compared to monoposts?

The 1984 Renault Espace had seat that folded, individually, rolled another 90º forward (remove head rest), and could individually be taken out. The floor space and options therein were humongous. Front seat rotated to form a 4-seat meeting room with central table.

photo-8.jpg

See, you could be on a road trip with a regular 2+3 layout and a good amount of luggage. When you unpack (like our family at a camping site), room is created to move 2 seats to the 3rd row.
I've spent some evenings in horrendous rain, in the car, playing cars, listening to music. Who need a caravan?

If a car engineer could tell me why a BEV couldn't have such a configuration, I'd be hugely interested to be learn.
That's a really big flat floor to stick a battery under. With the seat left at home, it would swallow couches and ask for more. Multiple bicycles, wheels not removed. With the 3 rear seats rolled all the way forward against the front seats, you could bring those along and still carry big luggage. Without the seats, room for a decent 2-person air bed, length to spare.

In the new Espace, the 5 seats together fold flat but seem to be fixed in place.
Renault Espace | RTL Autowereld

So the 2 vents on the rearward C-pillar are not there in the 5 seater, bummer.

This is overall great news, but I still want a 7 seat with folding 2nd row, I really don't see why this cannot be done. If they want to know the very best 7 seat SUV with 2nd row folding seat system is, take a look at the current Nissan Pathfinder. It allow very easy access to the third row as well as allowing you portion space between the 2nd row and 3rd row (or cargo space) as required.

Of coarse, you get even more cargo room with the Tesla 5 seat option, but overall the 7 seater with bench 2nd row is the greatest all-rounder if you actually carry cargo occasionally.

2014-Nissan-Pathfinder-2nd-row-seat-folded.jpg

Adam.

This is overall great news, but I still want a 7 seat with folding 2nd row, I really don't see why this cannot be done. If they want to know the very best 7 seat SUV with 2nd row folding seat system is, take a look at the current Nissan Pathfinder. It allow very easy access to the third row as well as allowing you portion space between the 2nd row and 3rd row (or cargo space) as required.

Of coarse, you get even more cargo room with the Tesla 5 seat option, but overall the 7 seater with bench 2nd row is the greatest all-rounder if you actually carry cargo occasionally.

2014-Nissan-Pathfinder-2nd-row-seat-folded.jpg

Adam.
One good thing about the existing setup is that us owners with 2 or more children car seats in the second row can still access the 3rd row with ease, and without removing the car seats which I am pretty sure no one wants to deal with.

Reactions: beths11 and MP3Mike
One good thing about the existing setup is that us owners with 2 or more children car seats in the second row can still access the 3rd row with ease, and without removing the car seats which I am pretty sure no one wants to deal with.
Yeah, but you could also just do this.
Sure it doesn't come close to the FWDs access and ease to put in a kid there, buy hey there is always the trunk :D

And it all folds down to this:
2013_Mercedes_Benz_GL450_cargo2.jpg

At the end of the day it's a tradeoff, the question is how many customers really have kids in the age where this matters a lot?

Last edited:
This change is a tacit admission by Elon and Tesla that the launch version of the X with the 3 individual "mono post" non-folding seats in the second row was on balance not well received and needed to be changed.

Nope.

If they replaced all second rows with the new folding second rows that would be an admission of a mistake.

Tesla takes feedback on multiple issues. Has had many different seats in response to customer feedback. The original S seats were changed to Recaros. People did not like the Model S second row Recaros so they were eliminated. There were non-folding rear seat Captain chairs for the Model S for a short while. Then eliminated.

Tesla is constantly evolving based on deals they can get with suppliers and customer feedback.