Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How best to prepare before my Model S comes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any other advice or suggestions I haven't considered above?

You will have a few months from when production starts until your car is delivered (maybe only a month or two) but plenty of time to have an electrician come and install what you'd need. I'd definitely consider getting a separate 240V 50A circuit installed for your Model S and as you said you may get a second EV some day, go ahead and have them install a second plug too since labor costs much more than the parts. That's what I did in my garage (2 separate 50A NEMA 14-50 outlets).

I'm facing some similar issues. I have to pull in forward to my garage (there are visibility and turning radius asymmetries with my "turnaround spot" outside the garage -- I've tried backing in, and it's impractical). Then, the stupid, poorly-thought-out location of the charging point means I had to rearrange my entire garage so that the left side of the car would be somewhere within five feet of a wall (previously, I had the car on the right side and everything else on the left side). Luckily, this rearrangement was possible. Now, I'm impatiently waiting to find out what options Tesla is offering for charging stations so I can make a decision. :mad: The electricians I use are often backed up for a couple of months, so I may have to decide before Tesla provides information.

Good luck.

I'm facing some similar issues. I have to pull in forward to my garage (there are visibility and turning radius asymmetries with my "turnaround spot" outside the garage -- I've tried backing in, and it's impractical). Then, the stupid, poorly-thought-out location of the charging point means I had to rearrange my entire garage so that the left side of the car would be somewhere within five feet of a wall (previously, I had the car on the right side and everything else on the left side). Luckily, this rearrangement was possible. Now, I'm impatiently waiting to find out what options Tesla is offering for charging stations so I can make a decision. :mad: The electricians I use are often backed up for a couple of months, so I may have to decide before Tesla provides information.

Good luck.

Can you book your electrician to come out in maybe May? You should definitely know what you'll need by then and hopefully can order your HPC 2.0 by then or just go the NEMA 14-50 route if you decide to do that.

I just moved about a month ago and my Dad and I installed the plugs on the ceiling - breaker box is on the back wall of the garage so it was just up and over w/ the conduit. That gives me the most flexibility in location. I plugged in my UMC and zip-tied it to the gang box so the plug won't fall out. Then just rig up some bicycle hooks to hold the excess cable. I still need to find an elegant solution for lifting the Roadster end out of the way when it's not plugged in. Someone on here had a see-saw device rigged up - I may try something like that at some point. For now I just hook it against the wall and it's held out of the way.

Yes, getting our individual charging requirements in place is certainly a top priority; I also think we need to get ourselves "knowledge ready" for the inevitable barrage of questions that will come our way once we take possession of our Model S. Because we live in different climates, have different electrical rates, different driving habits, etc., each of us will have an opportunity to give more realistic and informative answers to those asking. In a way, we need to follow thru with Elon's request at the Fremont event to be Tesla ambassadors.

My HPC installation is on the wall behind my Roadster, on the right side of the garage. The cable is plenty long enough to pull it across the back of the car and plug it in. No big deal having it on the "wrong" side. Actually it's quite handy for plugging in visiting Roadsters outside the garage because it's right by the door.

The Model S cable is much lighter, so it would be even easier to do this. I would not be overly concerned about the charge port being on the "wrong" side of the car.

Additional to my last:

attachment.php?attachmentid=3721&d=1324093432.jpg

Putting the HPC on the opposite side wall is no big deal...

Attachments

• Charge.JPG
    Charge.JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 392
Additional to my last:

OK, that's good to know. I'm actually thinking of putting the EVSE/outlet in the middle of the back wall (ie, where the front of the car would be if you pull in forward) I figure I could snatch out the plug as I walk by (I approach from the rear of the vehicle the way our garage is set up. Hang it up at the front and be good to go. That way, also, if/when we get a Model X or Plug-in Prius or whatever then it would be fairly accessible (the PIP plug is on the passenger side rear). If the info about a 20' cable is accurate I don't think I'll have much trouble getting the plug where I need it.

A few minutes ago I just finished installing my NEMA 14-50 on the middle pillar between two garage doors. I put the ground hole up top so the cord will hang correctly.

I will pull in going forward on the right side, and the door will open to the center of the garage (plenty of space) and I'll be able to easily grab the plug off the wall and plug in without crossing to the other side of the car.

Now to clear out the garage and make space.

I measured and will only have about 4-6" extra width around the side mirrors(when passing through the garage door) and only about a foot of extra length in the garage!!! Guess I'll have to hang a tennis ball from the ceiling to know when I need to stop :).

I could've gone for a slightly smaller car...but at least the S will fit (barely)!

A few minutes ago I just finished installing my NEMA 14-50 on the middle pillar between two garage doors. I put the ground hole up top so the cord will hang correctly.

I will pull in going forward on the right side, and the door will open to the center of the garage (plenty of space) and I'll be able to easily grab the plug off the wall and plug in without crossing to the other side of the car.

Now to clear out the garage and make space.

I measured and will only have about 4-6" extra width around the side mirrors(when passing through the garage door) and only about a foot of extra length in the garage!!! Guess I'll have to hang a tennis ball from the ceiling to know when I need to stop :).

I could've gone for a slightly smaller car...but at least the S will fit (barely)!
Wow, that's pretty tight...I"d be most worried about the backing out, esp. if light is bad or if you had to pull in a little bit crooked.

Additional to my last:

Hmm. Thanks for the photo, Doug....

Maybe I'll just put the outlet on the "nose end" of the garage and run a long, long cord down the side of the Tesla.

Frankly I'm a bit worried about running over it, though.

I'm planning to install a separate outside plug (there will be times when I need to empty my garage for a craft project and park outside), and I know where *that's* going.

I suppose I could wire up four NEMA 14-50s, one on the outside, one on each side in the back and one on the "nose end" wall. Or would that be overkill? ;-)

I already had to rearrange my garage to fit the Model S (my previous cars are *smaller*). Luckily it's a nominally two-car garage, but it has some obnoxious layout constraints due to the location of an attic hatch, doors, etc. And I still have a lot of stuff I *have* to fit in the garage, including my electric lawnmower (which also needs a place to plug in)....

Easily dealt with... don't leave it on the floor!

I had to get a garden shed when I got the Roadster. It's really quite nice to get all that stuff out of the garage.

No room. Small lot. Plus, even if I found a spot and got a building permit for it, I'd have to wire the garden shed, which is a genuine pain. Too much of the stuff in my garage is plugged in (I have to add extra ordinary outlets while I'm at it).

No room. Small lot. Plus, even if I found a spot and got a building permit for it, I'd have to wire the garden shed, which is a genuine pain. Too much of the stuff in my garage is plugged in (I have to add extra ordinary outlets while I'm at it).

Surely a building permit is not required for a shed under 100 square feet (that's the rule here). Wiring it is not that big a deal; just a matter of burying the right kind of cable (or a PVC conduit).

Of course if it doesn't fit, then it doesn't fit.