Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How dangerous to leave house with only phone key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that I have my Model 3 a thought occurred to me yesterday... I don't always carry my wallet when I leave my house. I have an Apple Watch and iPhone, and I'm so used to using ApplePay to do contactless payments when I'm out and about that I've got out of the habit of bringing my wallet with me if I'm just out locally running errands etc. I usually bring my wallet only if I'm going on a proper day trip, or going out to a restaurant or something.

I believe the way it is supposed to work with the Tesla is that you mainly use your phone as the key, but that you keep the keycard in your wallet for emergencies. Just wondering how often people are having to use the keycard because of the phone key not working? Is the phone key failing a frequent enough thing that I'm going to be sorry if I don't keep my keycard on me, so will have to get back into the habit of bringing my wallet with me every time I leave the house again?

should be ok - although I normally have my wallet on me I don’t think I ever needed it.

sometimes the car won’t unlock but thats normally a quick turn off/on bluetooth and its fine.

worst case, you should be able to use the app to remote open and set to remote drive - which allows other people to drive the car. Maybe worth a test but I would think that should be a good enough backup?

Reactions: AutomaticMan
I’ve never had to use the key card because the phone didn’t work.

In fact the only times it has been used to actually drive the car was when I left it to get my windows tinted. Other than that it’s only been used to add or remove phone keys.

I still keep the card in my wallet but only because there’s the space. All down to preference rather than necessity.

I alway take my key card. It’s bullet proof.
there was one occasion when we had a 3 day mini break in the Peak District when I forgot my wallet and my wife forgot her purse. No key cards!
Day 2 - car asked for key card… tried opening with my wife’s phone - no problem. But still didn’t like my phone. Unlocked the car from my phone app and
mine worked fine after that. Hasn’t failed since.
Oh and thank heavens for Apple pay!

Personally I keep a key card in a card holder attached to my house keys since I always need my house keys anyway.

The time I've needed it was when I discovered there is a bug in the car whereby opening and closing the boot just after rebooting the phone (for a phone update) causes the car to lock, with the phone inside. This bug still exists.

Usually it isn't an issue, but as we know software can have bugs.

The problem is, the key card will rarely be used or never, but that one time... It's a life saver. Low probability, high impact.

Last edited:
I always keep the Tesla card, driving license and credit card in one of these
Also I keep a few notes in the centre of the wallet. Always got me our of trouble...

Last edited:
Now that I have my Model 3 a thought occurred to me yesterday... I don't always carry my wallet when I leave my house. I have an Apple Watch and iPhone, and I'm so used to using ApplePay to do contactless payments when I'm out and about that I've got out of the habit of bringing my wallet with me if I'm just out locally running errands etc. I usually bring my wallet only if I'm going on a proper day trip, or going out to a restaurant or something.

I believe the way it is supposed to work with the Tesla is that you mainly use your phone as the key, but that you keep the keycard in your wallet for emergencies. Just wondering how often people are having to use the keycard because of the phone key not working? Is the phone key failing a frequent enough thing that I'm going to be sorry if I don't keep my keycard on me, so will have to get back into the habit of bringing my wallet with me every time I leave the house again?
I went and bought a keyfob because the phone access failed too often for my liking. It’s easier than delving through my wallet for a card when it’s pissing down. Plus I can open the car from a distance if wifey is stood at the car door giving me the “open the bloody car already” look🤣

For me my android phone has very aggressive power saving which stops the tesla app working unless screen is on. (PITA)
So I also have a key fob which I use sometimes.
If the bluetooth plays up or is slow to connect to the car (often for me), then I use the NFC function on the phone.
Turn on phone screen and wave phone at the door pillar, opens immediately.
This is now my main way to get into the car.

I always tend to carry my key card. I've never actually had trouble getting in the car with the phone, but once inside I have occasionally been asked to place the card on the console to actually drive. I tried using the phone as an NFC device on the console, but no joy.

If I'm honest, my major concern is a complete phone failure (dropped, bricked, dead, frozen etc) - for that reason I carry one credit card and my key card nearly always.

I've gone completely phone-only.

It'll be absolutely fine, until it isn't :D

... timely reminder for you then...

My Samsung S21 Ultra (13 months old) died 2 days ago.

Black Screen of Death apparently, according to the internet. It has to go back to Samsung for Service Repair.

Our whole Smart Home, Car, Two-Factor Authentication for Apps & Finance Access, everything is on that broken phone.

I'm now using an old Samsung S10+ while I figure out the repair procedure.

In the meantime I've pre-ordered the new S22 Ultra to compensate myself from this traumatic experience.

If that phone had died while away from home... I'd have been screwed without a keycard.

Luckily I was sat on my Sofa trying to buy Festival tickets... when the phone decided it wanted to be a table placemat instead.

A long trip usually means I've got my wallet with me, which has a keycard in it. Otherwise it's phone only.

If I get stranded then hopefully someone can bring the spare key out. Or I could use the NFC reader with my Android phone if it's a bluetooth problem. Or I can ring Tesla and get them to unlock and start it remotely. Or I could beg a passer-by to install the Tesla app on their phone and I can unlock it from there.

Thanks all! I think the way I’ll look at it then is to stick with going wallet free for local journeys (I have a smart phone operated front door lock on my house, so I don’t need to carry keys at all). I suppose worst case scenario, I could get a taxi to home, get my keycard and then taxi back if I’m stranded locally. But then make sure I remember my wallet when I’m going further afield. I usually do anyway to be honest, it’s just when I’m running to the shops or something like that I won’t usually bother with it.

Though, not sure if it was just a joke, but I actually don’t hate @PITA ’s keycard in shoe idea! 🤣