Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How different is the new Comfort Suspension (October 22 -) to the previous gen (prior to Oct 22 change)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
with the recent info about the Model Y LR and Performance receiving a new Comfort suspension starting with cars manufactured in Texas and Fremont starting October 22, I'm curious just how different the driving feel and comfort really are compared to earlier 22-made cars...

Reactions: Whatstreet
What am I making up? All car companies deny warranty claims for modifications. Using a 23 MY part on a 20 MY, when not approved by Tesla, is a modification. There may or may not be other changes, and if there is an accident or malfunction, Tesla would claim to not be responsible.
I'm kind of shocked and annoyed that you are frankly playing this scaring game on ppl. The parts catalog shows the revision is a direct replacement for the previous revision. It would be no different than if one damper failed, and it was replaced with the latest revision putting aside how imbalanced that would be if one had a early revision damper set. And each part one buys from Tesla would carry its own warranty and would not void anything as ITS A GODAMN revised part.

Upvote 0
It's not that simple to read anything into the 'there is no reftrofit available at the moment' reply.

As far as I recall I had that initially on my request to retrofit the pedestrian warning speaker, while a few months later this was no problem.

You could even argue that the 'at the moment' suggests it will be possible some time in the future. But even that is something I am just speculating here.

Upvote 0
I'm kind of shocked and annoyed that you are frankly playing this scaring game on ppl. The parts catalog shows the revision is a direct replacement for the previous revision. It would be no different than if one damper failed, and it was replaced with the latest revision putting aside how imbalanced that would be if one had a early revision damper set. And each part one buys from Tesla would carry its own warranty and would not void anything as ITS A GODAMN revised part.
Buy the part and ask the Service Center to install it. Then let us know what happens.

Upvote 0
nobody denies warranty claims when factory parts are replaced with factory parts by factory/dealer facilities.
stand down.
It's a modification until Tesla says that it can be installed on the old cars. If another shop, or yourself, installs the new suspension, and something breaks, they will not cover it. The SC will not install it, until Tesla approves the part.

Upvote 0
with the recent info about the Model Y LR and Performance receiving a new Comfort suspension starting with cars manufactured in Texas and Fremont starting October 22, I'm curious just how different the driving feel and comfort really are compared to earlier 22-made cars...
I picked up our 2023 ModelYLR on December 15th. My suspension is 40% better on the 2023 than on the 2022. Much better on bumps. I wonder if I can have Tesla change out my 2022 suspension to the 2023 Model suspension. I do not want to go after market as it may void my warranty.

Upvote 0
I picked up our 2023 ModelYLR on December 15th. My suspension is 40% better on the 2023 than on the 2022. Much better on bumps. I wonder if I can have Tesla change out my 2022 suspension to the 2023 Model suspension. I do not want to go after market as it may void my warranty.
You'll eventually be able to do that but it will take some time, months probably for the parts to get stocked. Others have ordered parts but they are not being stocked yet, fyi.

Upvote 0
similar thing happened to toyota avalons. stiff vs comfortable suspension was just changing out the springs. i think the spring rates are slightly different. how do we find out the tesla part number of the newest spring? I found rears have these 2 part numbers between 2020-2022 1188479-00-A and 1188475-00-B

This thread has a discussion on ordering and part numbers for the comfort suspension parts:

Most folks seem to be reporting that parts are listed in the catalog, may or may not be available, and not as a Tesla SC installed package. If Tesla never offers a Tesla SC installed package, then your local suspension shop should be able to order the parts at some point in the future. But I haven't seen anything definitive yet if the new comfort suspension parts will fit on a Fremont Model Y from 2021 (my car).

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

Upvote 0
It's a modification until Tesla says that it can be installed on the old cars. If another shop, or yourself, installs the new suspension, and something breaks, they will not cover it. The SC will not install it, until Tesla approves the part.
Nonsense. I've had Subaru, Volvo, Volkswagen, and Saab upgrade parts for me with the appropriate parts from newer model years - at my request, and expense, in all cases. If the part is listed in their database as superseding or as "fits model years...<your year>" standard industry practice is to replace it if it breaks or upon request. And yes, I've filed warranty claims - for a Subaru folding mirror assembly and a Volkswagen suspension component - on the replaced parts, and they were honored according to the parts warranty, which as I recall was 1 year in both cases.

Tesla does what it wants, and right now at least one service center doesn't want to install newer dampers on older cars, quite possibly because they can't even get them without an associated warranty claim - a very common problem given all the shortages. But what you're representing about the industry as a whole really sounds entirely made up.

• Disagree
Reactions: shahryaran
Upvote 0