Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How different is the new Comfort Suspension (October 22 -) to the previous gen (prior to Oct 22 change)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
with the recent info about the Model Y LR and Performance receiving a new Comfort suspension starting with cars manufactured in Texas and Fremont starting October 22, I'm curious just how different the driving feel and comfort really are compared to earlier 22-made cars...

Reactions: Whatstreet
Nonsense. I've had Subaru, Volvo, Volkswagen, and Saab upgrade parts for me with the appropriate parts from newer model years - at my request, and expense, in all cases. If the part is listed in their database as superseding or as "fits model years...<your year>" standard industry practice is to replace it if it breaks or upon request. And yes, I've filed warranty claims - for a Subaru folding mirror assembly and a Volkswagen suspension component - on the replaced parts, and they were honored according to the parts warranty, which as I recall was 1 year in both cases.

Tesla does what it wants, and right now at least one service center doesn't want to install newer dampers on older cars, quite possibly because they can't even get them without an associated warranty claim - a very common problem given all the shortages. But what you're representing about the industry as a whole really sounds entirely made up.
"If the part is listed in their database as superseding or as 'fits model years...<your year>'..."

That would mean the OEM has blessed the upgrade part for older models. If Tesla does that I will be in line for the upgrade. My point was that some here think that just bc it exists, Tesla will swap the part.

Upvote 0
Personally I notice the comfort difference for my 2023 Model YLR VS Model 3. When I move the two car from the garage. I notice the differences, not night and day but over all the Y feels more comfortable.
I’m moving from a 3 (18” wheels) to a Y and curious what size wheels you have on each of yours. Trying to decide b/t 19” and 20” for the Y. Comfort is more important than performance since this will be my wife’s daily driver. But if the 20” on the Y is more comfy than the 18” on the 3 she will notice an improvement.

Upvote 0
I’m moving from a 3 (18” wheels) to a Y and curious what size wheels you have on each of yours. Trying to decide b/t 19” and 20” for the Y. Comfort is more important than performance since this will be my wife’s daily driver. But if the 20” on the Y is more comfy than the 18” on the 3 she will notice an improvement.
Smaller rims with thicker tires are more comfortable. 19s are your best option. 18s would be magical.

Reactions: tangible1
Upvote 0
Even with 18s the ride will be worse than the 3.

Upvote 0
Even with 18s the ride will be worse than the 3.
agree.
I have ridden in friends' M3 Dual Motor's and own an '22 MYLR with both 19" Conti tires and 18" oversize off-road wheels.
The M3 ride is very reasonable. The MYLR just reacts to the pavement baubbles a little harshly by comparison.
'22 MYLR suspension isn't terrible, but it's not what it could be. They're both good on good pavement.
While the 18" wheels do provide a little more cush, it's still more a reactive ride.
I may try the "comfort" suspension components when they become available; the cost isn't much by comparison to the aftermarket kits.

Upvote 0
Back in 2020, Sandy Munro looked into the suspension of the Model Y. Based on what he saw, he thought that Tesla might install air suspension sometime in the future. Seems they didn't but still an interesting video:

Here's Munro's complete 2020 tear down of the MY

Upvote 0
Back in 2020, Sandy Munro looked into the suspension of the Model Y. Based on what he saw, he thought that Tesla might install air suspension sometime in the future. Seems they didn't but still an interesting video:

Here's Munro's complete 2020 tear down of the MY

yeah, the space speculated as reserved for an air bottle on the rear megacasting does not appear to have come to fruition.
just another speculation of the many posted for Tesla's plans
Only Tesla knows what their plans might be....and they're only telling when it suits them
I have never seen a more controlled messaging from any other company.

Upvote 0
yeah, the space speculated as reserved for an air bottle on the rear megacasting does not appear to have come to fruition.
just another speculation of the many posted for Tesla's plans
Only Tesla knows what their plans might be....and they're only telling when it suits them
I have never seen a more controlled messaging from any other company.
I've always found their messaging to be out of control and unlike any other company. Their de facto messaging comes from their Chief Twit.

• Helpful
Reactions: brinox
Upvote 0
I've always found their messaging to be out of control and unlike any other company. Their de facto messaging comes from their Chief Twit.
that chief has won all his arguments in court
respect

Tesla runs a Master Class in Internet Marketing
Nothing gets out they don't wish out
They take full advantage of the blogsphere and let it run
that blogsphere is where your animosity should be focused; they live on clickbait.

Upvote 0
that chief has won all his arguments in court
respect

Tesla runs a Master Class in Internet Marketing
Nothing gets out they don't wish out
They take full advantage of the blogsphere and let it run
that blogsphere is where your animosity should be focused; they live on clickbait.
Being an idiot savant isn't against the law, especially with endless legal funds. You're kidding yourself that his tweets are calculated though. Proof is in his deleted tweets. He regularly pisses people off. He's suggestions on how to vote has lost his company business. I'm not sure any other CEO would call that a master-class move. I've no animosity. He's a self-declared chief-twit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Being an idiot savant isn't against the law, especially with endless legal funds. You're kidding yourself that his tweets are calculated though. Proof is in his deleted tweets. He regularly pisses people off. He's suggestions on how to vote has lost his company business. I'm not sure any other CEO would call that a master-class move. Your judgement seems questionable. I've no animosity. He's a self-declared chief-twit.
I'm less commenting on Elon's personality than I am the effectiveness of their approach to marketing Tesla and it's products.
Hard to argue it's cost, effectiveness, and impact it's made on the car industry.
Don't care to argue about Elon.

Reactions: Noflash
Upvote 0
For god's sake, can someone make an effort and create some good visualization of how the suspension of MY over the years actually feels like on different roads?

Not only that feeling of suspension is dependant on so many variables like different parts used in assembly, tires, tires air pressure, tires and wheels condition, temperature, road texture, speed, additional weight of the car, age of the car (springs and rubber are affected), etc ... on top of that so many descriptions, it feels mostly creates a confusion and not pinpointing the issue, IMO.

• Funny
Reactions: Noflash
Upvote 0
For god's sake, can someone make an effort and create some good visualization of how the suspension of MY over the years actually feels like on different roads?

Not only that feeling of suspension is dependant on so many variables like different parts used in assembly, tires, tires air pressure, tires and wheels condition, temperature, road texture, speed, additional weight of the car, age of the car (springs and rubber are affected), etc ... on top of that so many descriptions, it feels mostly creates a confusion and not pinpointing the issue, IMO.
Maybe it's too early here but I have no idea what you are asking for/trying to say.

Upvote 0