Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mjptech: Do you agree with my recent post? Really interested in your response.
I'm not who you're asking, but if you're referring to the "how many minutes" post, I'd say turn it on when you feel you need it and turn it off when you feel you don't. If the air is clear and smells fine in the vehicle, you're probably safe to drive. If the air is not clear or stinks in the vehicle, then you probably want bioweapon defense mode on regardless of whether or not you are just starting your trip.

What about this Elon Musk Twitter post? I understand that at one point some people put a HEPA filter in and got the service center to enable the feature, but that doesn't prove those items don't exist on vehicles where the upgrade was paid for (or perhaps even in early vehicles without the feature, like with the larger battery in the Model S 60). Also, having previously driven other vehicles with air filters that have carbon in the air filter, I can assure you that my Model X does FAR better than they ever did at dealing with sewage and skunk smells, which wouldn't necessarily be measured in many tests. This could be due to having an actual bed of carbon instead of just a thin layer on the filter, or it could be the work of these other components.
I don't think any teardown has shown these other filters in play? I mean, it would be nice to see these somewhere, but, I don't think I have. They could just be sensors? Musk does often mention many things that don't actually pan out (e.g. FSD coming this year, years ago)... With all those service diagrams floating around, or, even trips to a service center (ask, when I should replace the "acid gas filter"?) someone should have mentioned something?

mjptech: Do you agree with my recent post? Really interested in your response.
I'm not who you're asking, but if you're referring to the "how many minutes" post, I'd say turn it on when you feel you need it and turn it off when you feel you don't. If the air is clear and smells fine in the vehicle, you're probably safe to drive. If the air is not clear or stinks in the vehicle, then you probably want bioweapon defense mode on regardless of whether or not you are just starting your trip.

Yeah, there's no "minutes to run" - it's just use it.. I mean, technically, you can leave Bioweapon mode on always... Your HEPA filter may get a little clogged/dirtier sooner rather than later, but, other than that, there's nothing other than personal preference... Do you like the loud noise of the Bioweapon mode? The smell in the cabin? Many personal subjective factors in play on that one.

What about this Elon Musk Twitter post? I understand that at one point some people put a HEPA filter in and got the service center to enable the feature, but that doesn't prove those items don't exist on vehicles where the upgrade was paid for (or perhaps even in early vehicles without the feature, like with the larger battery in the Model S 60). Also, having previously driven other vehicles with air filters that have carbon in the air filter, I can assure you that my Model X does FAR better than they ever did at dealing with sewage and skunk smells, which wouldn't necessarily be measured in many tests. This could be due to having an actual bed of carbon instead of just a thin layer on the filter, or it could be the work of these other components.

Okay, well, from here: Tesla HEPA Filter Bioweapon Defense Mode Review - AutoPilot Review - they quoted another Musk Tweet... So, it's just additional layers in the HEPA filter cartridge itself, so, if you have that large HEPA cartridge, you have the acid gas reduction and whatnot. No additional filters or other components in the mix.

Okay, well, from here: Tesla HEPA Filter Bioweapon Defense Mode Review - AutoPilot Review - they quoted another Musk Tweet... So, it's just additional layers in the HEPA filter cartridge itself, so, if you have that large HEPA cartridge, you have the acid gas reduction and whatnot. No additional filters or other components in the mix.
I had seen that tweet, but forgotten about it (hadn't seen the article). I'd expect those layers to be less effective at such a small size, but I guess they cover a lot of surface area even without being thick. This still means that it's not "just a HEPA filter," though, and the aftermarket 3rd-party HEPA filters that fit therefore wouldn't be as effective if they're just HEPA media. When I say bioweapon defense mode clears out sewer and skunk smells, I mean it clears them out while I'm in the area where the smells are present, not just that it moves them out faster once I've left the area. I have seen claims that all inbound air goes through that filter compartment, but the smells come in unless bioweapon defense mode is active. I guess the smells could be coming in elsewhere due to the lack of positive pressure, but I also wonder if any of the layers in the filter are actively connected to power in any way or if they are all passive.

I had seen that tweet, but forgotten about it (hadn't seen the article). I'd expect those layers to be less effective at such a small size, but I guess they cover a lot of surface area even without being thick. This still means that it's not "just a HEPA filter," though, and the aftermarket 3rd-party HEPA filters that fit therefore wouldn't be as effective if they're just HEPA media. When I say bioweapon defense mode clears out sewer and skunk smells, I mean it clears them out while I'm in the area where the smells are present, not just that it moves them out faster once I've left the area. I have seen claims that all inbound air goes through that filter compartment, but the smells come in unless bioweapon defense mode is active. I guess the smells could be coming in elsewhere due to the lack of positive pressure, but I also wonder if any of the layers in the filter are actively connected to power in any way or if they are all passive.

From looking at the pictures of the cartridge and installation spot, I'm guessing it's more related to the pressure and air movement being caused by the BWD mode, rather than something powering the filter. Very similar to a pressurized cabin on an airplane.