TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

How does the Bio Weapon filter work?

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by tinkoo604, Mar 13, 2017.

1. tinkoo604

tinkoo604 Member

Hey Guys

I am curious to know how the bio weapon filter works in the MX. Does the filter only filters the air coming from out side or does it also filters the air with in the cabin. A few days ago, I order fast food and turned on the bio weapon to filter out the food odours but I couldn't tell if it was working or not. Any body have any clue on how it works?

Thanks

2. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

3. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Filters outside air coming in at a high rate, blowing whatever unfiltered air inside the cabin out. You can't recirculate the inside air and just filter that. Basically filters the air and creates a slight pressure in the cabin to keep unfiltered outside air from leaking in.

• Like x 1
  4. carteriii

carteriii Member

Have you seen that posted/described anywhere or taken apart your S to know for certain? I ask for a couple reasons. First, when going into bioweapon defense mode, the system automatically selects the recirculation mode. Second, I've looked for any definitive source AND I've asked my service center who ultimately said they weren't even sure. I've seen the picture on these forums of the HEPA filter placement (just behind our frunk) but couldn't tell from the picture alone whether that was purely intake to the vehicle or also used in any recirculation. I also haven't been able to find any definitive source on how/where the smaller filter and carbon filters are used.

You may be 100% right so please don't take offense at my questions. Too many others, including my SC, have speculated but later said they didn't really know so I'm just looking for something more certain. Thanks.

5. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

It's not possible to build the positive pressure that Bioweapon strives for without outside air - you need more total air in the cabin than you had before.

Because of this, Bioweapon can't use pure recirculation. Your post is the first suggestion I've seen that it might use any recirculation, and I still don't understand how that would be helpful to the goals of the operating mode.

Where do you see it selecting recirculation? It's been a while since I used Bioweapon, but the way I remember it, it greyed out both outside and recirculate when I hit Bioweapon, which is on the same line.

• Informative x 1
  6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I agree. Elon has stated that Bioweapon mode creates positive pressure in the cabin. It has to draw a significant quantity of air into the cabin -- through the HEPA filter -- to achieve positive pressure. Just because the display shows recirculation as being "on" does not mean that no additional air is being brought into the cabin in Bioweapon mode.

7. carteriii

carteriii Member

I agree with the comments about positive pressure but I believe there's more to it than that. For example, can anyone definitively describe the path that air takes to go through the smaller air filter? Does *only* recirculated air go through the smaller filter or ??? When/How does the smaller filter come into play?

Do people think that all the "dirty" air is simply pushed out of the car via positive pressure? Wouldn't it make more sense that SOME of the air inside the car also goes through the HEPA filter, via recirculation? Wouldn't that also explain the fan being on high when in bioweapon defense mode? That is purely speculation on my part, but I mention the possibility because it seems reasonable and I've still not seen anything which definitively describes how the different filters work together and which "path" air can take to go through any one or all filters.

8. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The cabin has normal exhaust vents designed into it (at the rear under the bumper,) and leaks at the seals. It's probably faster to clear the cabin by pushing air out through all of those than by recirculating the cabin air - especially since recirculating would lead to dead zones unless it is design very carefully.

9. carteriii

carteriii Member

You seem to be implying that you'll get fewer or no dead zones by just pushing air into random leaks at seals and/or explicit exhaust vents, and your use of "probably" also implies more speculation. Tesla has developed something fantastic here; I just wish they'd share a bit more of the details. One of these days I hope to get time with one of the technicians who might know for certain.

10. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Reading the May 2, 2016 Tesla blog about the system, it looks like you may be right. (bolding is mine)

" Inspired by the air filtration systems used in hospitals, clean rooms, and the space industry, we developed a HEPA filtration system capable of stripping the outside air of pollen, bacteria, and pollution before they enter the cabin and systematically scrubbing the air inside the cabin to eliminate any trace of these particles."