Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far are you willing to keep your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I totally understand where you coming from.. I don't understand why Telsa just wouldn't put a spare tire and hardware in the trunk because regardless you're going to need that either way so whatever they're saying about extra trunk space, it's really pointless so might as well just put the spare tire as standard packaging..smh

Spare tires increase cost, increase weight (and thus decrease range), and most customers are too stupid to be trusted to keep them inflated properly. Many, if not most, manufacturers are phasing them out.

What is happening to cause these tire blowouts so often?

People buying larger wheels with lower aspect ratio tires. Less rubber and air to absorb the hit = higher probability of damage to the wheel. Throw in the fact that these are heavy cars, and the wheels aren't forged, and voila.

Large wheels for fashion purposes are so dumb. If they were forged, and wider to give a bigger contact patch, I could understand, but :rolleyes:

If anyone is interested in buying my 20 inch Tesla Model 3 performance wheels with tires... please let me know... I will have pictures uploaded soon.

As others mentioned if your going to an 18” the width should be 8.5” for a 235/45/18. You can probably find a set of the stock Tesla 18” wheels and/or wheel and tires on the second hand market if you like those. Many have replaced them with aftermarket wheels and sell them. If these were going to be the only wheels on a P personally I would want really nice wheels. T Sportine TST come to mind:

Reactions: Common_Loon
I'm thinking of going with these wheels for my M3P....lightweight and cheap...
I am using the Trumotorsport C2, 18x8.5, on my Model 3 D. A little under the weight of the stock Aeros, which is pretty good, at $755 for the set of four. Not really fancy lookers, but they get the job done. That is without TPMS, though. Also, quite possible they won't fit over the P3's calipers. You'll probably have to go a bit more expensive to fit on that. People have mentioned the TSportline the F1/F2/F3 from Tirerack, but Enkei also have 18" options that'll fit.

You can get a full set of four TPMS that are Model 3 compatible for about $125. Send a private message to @SomeJoe7777 , last I saw he had the details of a set of blanks for about $100 and if you drop shipped to him he'd charge $25 to program them appropriately for the Model 3 and ship them to you

Last edited:
Reactions: Halloween81
Hello everyone.. I have a 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance that come standard with 20in wheels...I had taking purchase of my car December 22nd 2018 and I'm at the point that I'm running out of patience due to the fact that I have had 4 blowouts already with the car.... it's bad enough that Tesla doesn't cover or offer road hazard warranty coverage to the tires or rims and that I have to come out of pocket of to pay for these damages and I'm at the point where I'm so frustrated that I'm willing to give up my Tesla to finally have a car that I can actually depend and rely on without any worries or concern of driving it anywhere, especially knowing that I have three kids...it's a damn shame it took me 4 years of hard work and sweat to finally have a decent amount for a down payment on my dream car and I can't enjoy driving it... do you know how frustrating that is .... give me some advice guys I'm at the breaking point and I really don't want to get rid of my Tesla... I love the car I don't have any issues other than the rims and tires... I am considering to downgrade to 18in wheeks, but then again I just might be in the same scenario...please help!!!

What's the cause of the blowouts? If they because of structural issues with the tires, that's not road hazard.

If you are running through potholes and causing the damage, well, then, …..

Thanks for the advice... I'm thinking of going with 235/50/18 cs......the recommended tire size of 235/45/18?
You'll want to stick close to the stock size of 235/45R18 because there isn't a lot of clearance over the top of the front tires. The tip of the suspension arm (or the knuckle or whatever it is called) hangs over the inside 1" or so of the stock tires and has only about 10-12mm clearance off the stock tires.

The 235/50R18 adds +/- 1" of outside diameter to the tire over the stock tires so is almost certainly going to rub on that suspension piece.

Reactions: Halloween81
You’re in NJ - the problem is fundamentally the tires not the wheel size. When the rubber on those 4s tires get cold they become like glass and crack easily. Trust me, I learned the hard way (living in nyc here). If your car had proper winter tires this most likely wouldn’t have happened. I talked to Tesla about it and they tried to pretend it has nothing to do with the rubber but that is bs. There’s nothing magic about the smaller rims. If you put the 4s on those you’re going to get tire damage too when you hit a pothole at 10F.

What's the cause of the blowouts? If they because of structural issues with the tires, that's not road hazard.

Just a bad combination of things.

He shouldn't be using the summer high performance tire in the Winter in NJ. They turn hard in the summer, and crack easily.
The 20" rims that come with the P3D+ are soft, and they are known to bend even hitting a pot hole at low speed
The tires are low profile so not a lot of tire to absorb the pot holes

I haven't had an issue, but I haven't driven my P3D+ in well over a month.

It sits in the garage while the PNW facebook forum gets filled up with 20" P3D+ people with bent rims.

There are a ton of pot holes now so I've been driving 2nd vehicle which doesn't care about potholes.

I'm saving enough money NOT fixing/replacing tires/rims that I can save up to buy 4 18" rims plus all-season tires for use starting next fall. I'll see how the spring/summer goes on my 20" wheels with summer performance tires. I honestly don't even like looking at the tires themselves as they came with like half the tread one expects.

I kinda wish I would have gotten the P3D-, and I wouldn't had to put up with this crap.

The only issues with the tires is that if once I go over any sort of type of pothole I'm more likely to get damage to the rims cuz they're so fragile and sensitive, so I want to be able to drive around without having to drive like an old lady with a high performance car just doesn't make sense to me

Reactions: 2012MS85
Just a bad combination of things.

He shouldn't be using the summer high performance tire in the Winter in NJ. They turn hard in the summer, and crack easily.
The 20" rims that come with the P3D+ are soft, and they are known to bend even hitting a pot hole at low speed
The tires are low profile so not a lot of tire to absorb the pot holes

I haven't had an issue, but I haven't driven my P3D+ in well over a month.

It sits in the garage while the PNW facebook forum gets filled up with 20" P3D+ people with bent rims.

There are a ton of pot holes now so I've been driving 2nd vehicle which doesn't care about potholes.

I'm saving enough money NOT fixing/replacing tires/rims that I can save up to buy 4 18" rims plus all-season tires for use starting next fall. I'll see how the spring/summer goes on my 20" wheels with summer performance tires. I honestly don't even like looking at the tires themselves as they came with like half the tread one expects.

I kinda wish I would have gotten the P3D-, and I wouldn't had to put up with this crap.

Yeah I was just thinking that the model X in the model S you can still get the performance p100d package without having to get the performance package wheels of the 22 or 21 inch rims and just get the basic style rims so that way the car is even more of a sleeper and yet you could drive comfortably without any issues but they didn't offer that for the model 3 Performance..smh ugh

Reactions: 2012MS85
If the roads are that bad and have that many pot holes in NJ, then every tire bought should have a hazzard warranty. U should have roadside assistance on your car policy, i do, its works.
Also your car policy should cover wheels, i hit a brick, broke wheel on my PU, insurance bought new wheel. Mag wheels are just like winshields.

Hello everyone.. I have a 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance that come standard with 20in wheels...I had taking purchase of my car December 22nd 2018 and I'm at the point that I'm running out of patience due to the fact that I have had 4 blowouts already with the car.... it's bad enough that Tesla doesn't cover or offer road hazard warranty coverage to the tires or rims and that I have to come out of pocket of to pay for these damages and I'm at the point where I'm so frustrated that I'm willing to give up my Tesla to finally have a car that I can actually depend and rely on without any worries or concern of driving it anywhere, especially knowing that I have three kids...it's a damn shame it took me 4 years of hard work and sweat to finally have a decent amount for a down payment on my dream car and I can't enjoy driving it... do you know how frustrating that is .... give me some advice guys I'm at the breaking point and I really don't want to get rid of my Tesla... I love the car I don't have any issues other than the rims and tires... I am considering to downgrade to 18in wheeks, but then again I just might be in the same scenario...please help!!!

Please provide more information on your "blowouts" - do you have any visual documentation/pictures of the tires? I have never heard of anyone having more than one 'blowout' in six months or two in a year (defined as explosive/rapid decompression of tire from a large puncture), more often than not the sidewall, and typically from lateral impact with either curbs or other large objects.

There is a reason why spare tires are disappearing from cars, including the Model 3. It's incredibly hard to generate a true 'blowout" from a more commonplace tread puncture, such as a nail or other sharp metal object. Typically those generate a slow leak that can be plugged with sealant well enough to get to a service area.

Also, Michelin has some of the best QC in the industry. Where did you get your replacement tires? Was it just the OEMs that failed or did replacements fail? Something just doesn't make sense here. Unless you are driving on Summer performance tires like the 4S when the temp is below 35F. Then you are asking for trouble, and shouldn't be blaming Tesla or Michelin.

Last edited:
Please provide more information on your "blowouts" - do you have any visual documentation/pictures of the tires? I have never heard of anyone having more than one 'blowout' in six months or two in a year (defined as explosive/rapid decompression of tire from a large puncture), more often than not the sidewall, and typically from lateral impact with either curbs or other large objects.

There is a reason why spare tires are disappearing from cars, including the Model 3. It's incredibly hard to generate a true 'blowout" from a more commonplace tread puncture, such as a nail or other sharp metal object. Typically those generate a slow leak that can be plugged with sealant well enough to get to a service area.

Also, Michelin has some of the best QC in the industry. Where did you get your replacement tires? Was it just the OEMs that failed or did replacements fail? Something just doesn't make sense here. Unless you are driving on Summer performance tires like the 4S when the temp is below 35F. Then you are asking for trouble, and shouldn't be blaming Tesla or Michelin.

I keep hearing this, but most of my flats in the last few years have been non-repairable. Mostly damage to sidewall.