Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Happy Are You With Your Tesla?

How happy are you with your Tesla?

• 100%

• 90%

• 80%

• 70%

• 60%

• 50%

• Below 50%

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised that Consumers Reports published these results. The magazine is so negative on Tesla that these results confirm my opinion that Consumer Reports is a worthless source of information for any product.

My Model S is the finest product of any kind that I've ever owned. Consumer Reports is at the opposite end of that spectrum.
I don’t think Consumer Reports has anything personal against Tesla— thus, they sometimes have incredibly positive things to say. Rather, they have the rigid thinking that goes with testing thousands (millions?) of items over decades.

I think they are very objective about how whether an object meets their criteria, but lack perspective on how much each issue matters to actual owners. So, their ratings end up disconnected from owner satisfaction ratings.

• Love
Reactions: GSP and Magus
Not that this really makes them better, but they've flip flopped on Tesla several times depending on the news item of the day. Initial review of the Model S broke their scoring mechanism because it was rated so well. Then there were reports of door handle failures in some older cars and they tanked the score. Then those were taken care of and they brought it back up, then Tesla announced they were going to release AEB on AP2 and CR tanked their score again, retroactively, for not having it. Then Tesla rolled out the feature and they increased it again.
I think the key here is that they base their ratings on facts. The sequence of "flip-flops" you describe are changing ratings based on changed facts (more repairs, lack/presence of features). They don't "love" any thing or let their "love" bias their results. When the facts change, they change their ratings. I know it's a hard concept in this age of opinion journalism, but that's what they do.

I think the key here is that they base their ratings on facts. The sequence of "flip-flops" you describe are changing ratings based on changed facts (more repairs, lack/presence of features). They don't "love" any thing or let their "love" bias their results. When the facts change, they change their ratings. I know it's a hard concept in this age of opinion journalism, but that's what they do.

I'd agree with you except for the AEB bit. AEB was missing the moment AP2 shipped. They kept the rating where it was anyway right up until Tesla announced they were putting out AEB soon.

Reactions: Ken7 and Swift
Could not be less happy and I own two. Most unreliable cars I have ever owned, both of them, and not by a little, by a hundred miles. Model X 100D - Out of service for 29 of the 83 days I have owned it so far (yes over 1/3 of the days I have owned it, Tesla has had it at the Service Center), and is currently still there for 17 days and counting with an issue they cannot seem to be able to fix. My Model S P100D seems highly reliable compared to my Model X, only being out of service 13 days of the 114 days I have owned it.

I have owned most major brands of cars and have never had to leave one of them 1 day overnight for warranty service repairs. Guess I am just amazingly unlucky if Tesla rates that high.

When even a purely "fact-based" analysis overweights recent data it will flail.

Because I've never enjoyed driving and being in any other car we've had before more than our Model S, I voted 100. Feel the enjoyment everytime we are in it. At this point can't imagine wanting to own anything else. Just really happy with ours.

We have had a few minor issues (one hardware--charge port had to be replaced, rest more software related I guess and some of those due to not understanding how things work like one time we took our car for service because the a/c wasn't coming out of the left vent...should have figured out the vent could be closed manually but no markings on the equipment like on our ICE vehicles duh; strange and annoying warbling sound from slacker play when we were driving in a more remote area, couldn't stop it with resets and had to turn the volume off to the radio portion but sound went away later. Did reproduce one or two other times. Might have liked a bit more cabin storage and cup holders in center console arm rest located better but I really appreciate the clean minimal look of the interior all the same. Wish vandalism of the small rear window we experienced wasn't as expensive of a repair. The blocky nav maps aren't perfect. The cabin overheat protection setting I'd like to see activated remotely instead of by sitting in the car. These issues are overwhelmingly overshadowed by all the things I enjoy about the car). I suppose I could have rated satisfaction a point or two less, but honestly 90 would be too low to match how much I love our car. As for our experience with our few service visits, all really positive.

Hoping I'll enjoy our Model 3 as much when it arrives.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I came from a Volvo V60 PiH and now i understand why people call the Tesla a gadget, don't get me wrong i like it but it lacks practical stuff.

Compared to the Volvo you can't open and close the windows with the fob or app, you can't enter a destination via the app but just see where your car is located, you can't see travel history in the app, when your car alarm is triggered you get a notification via the app and not an SMS so only Tesla know this and not the police or other company and that's why in the EU they won't give it alarm class 5 rank.

You can't enter coordinates in the navigation software, i live in a new street and with the volvo you can enter the current coordinates as a destination. Your feet get real cold for some reason :p, the door alignment is a bit crooked, the antennas are so far hidden i never get full bars on LTE of WIFI (should have used a little stump or somthing else on the trunk lid.

Ofcourse he is fast and economy wise way better than an ICE car but my guess is that Volvo or other brand will create a "car" and the powersource is electric instead of an electric car like Tesla.

I don't regret the purchase but the Tesla is overpriced for what we got, 80k euros would be more than enough for the 100D.

For comparison my Volvo was full option and my 100D as well.

too make a long story short, they could copy the Volvo app functionality and it would make our car experience more complete.

I've only had my Model S for 3 months, but at this point I have to give it 100. To clarify, this doesn't mean the car is perfect. No car ever is. Some software glitches are rather annoying for example. However, the car did meet and actually well exceeded my expectations. So I can't give it 90 or less, as that would seem unfair.

Reactions: GSP
Could not be less happy and I own two. Most unreliable cars I have ever owned, both of them, and not by a little, by a hundred miles. Model X 100D - Out of service for 29 of the 83 days I have owned it so far (yes over 1/3 of the days I have owned it, Tesla has had it at the Service Center), and is currently still there for 17 days and counting with an issue they cannot seem to be able to fix. My Model S P100D seems highly reliable compared to my Model X, only being out of service 13 days of the 114 days I have owned it.

I have owned most major brands of cars and have never had to leave one of them 1 day overnight for warranty service repairs. Guess I am just amazingly unlucky if Tesla rates that high.

Ouch, that sounds unlucky. Build problems are (unfortunately) fairly common, but that sounds excessive on both cars. I've lost use of my MS for a total of about 5 days in the last ~1 year(will be 1 year on 12/30) due to defects. Specifically, I had an issue with the HVAC system that caused the battery to get too hot while charging. Other than that the only time I've been without her was when I used 3rd party snow chains that tore through the suspension, but can't really blame that one on Tesla.

Unbiased reporting is very hard to do. I'm not sure anyone does it. People want opinions.

The Model S is a great car - comfortable-ish, peppy, and I am very much in tune with its minimalist design. It's a good mobile meeting room. Personally, I think driving it is pretty boring, though. I can understand the excitement if you came from a BMW sedan, or a Volvo, etc, but it's just marginally less boring than those :)

Reactions: Eclectic
I answered 80, but just because I'm pissed off that I'm having to get my 6th door handle replaced today. Ask me on any other given day, I'd probably say 90.

Max, there's a thread with a linked STL file you can print out your own replacement part for the doors. Tesla sells the part that breaks for $1 now, but if I'd had my doors break that many times by now I'd just have the piece 3D printed in titanium and never worry about it again.