Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is .40/.42 AP2 doing for you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More .42 weekend driving: Only issues are the somewhat random in-lane bias as well as wide lanes causing issues. Now I got a ping-ponging effect as well for a moment before it settled in one instance, as well as wide lanes causing disengagements.

However, the overall feeling continues to be overwhelmingly positive. Divided roads work well in normal stretches of the road.

Again a .42 report:

Still, solid performance and annoying leftward-bias, but also experience from a couple of cars that exited the lane in front of my on a freeway. Even though the IC showed lanes as blue and the lead car as white, it started following the leaving lead car in both of these cases.

Now, it didn't go far, just merely maybe 10% of the lane towards the right before returning to its bias on the leftward side of the lane. But it was very noticeable for 1-2 seconds what was happening. Not too bad, not enough to disengage or force me to take manual control, but it was very noticeable and happened twice with different lead cars. This was a divided motorway.

Anyone else had this?

Ghost-brakings have remained blissfully away. The overall experience remains very positive.

Reactions: buttershrimp
.42 is More negative than positive for me. Actually thrusted me into a turn lane for a moment and it's never done that before. Really sketchy. Since then I'm refraining from using this update Autopilot as much as I would usually. Still going to try to contribute to the AP collection of data, but not going to as much as I usually would.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
.42 is More negative than positive for me. Actually thrusted me into a turn lane for a moment and it's never done that before. Really sketchy. Since then I'm refraining from using this update Autopilot as much as I would usually. Still going to try to contribute to the AP collection of data, but not going to as much as I usually would.

Divided motorways or local streets?

The lead car following moment definitely happens without rain too - just tested. Strangest thing is the same lateral yank - similar to lead car following - happened now once under an underpass without any cars around too. This was on a divided motorway. Are these some radar echoes the car reacts to?

The bias towards the edge of the lane is increasingly annoying the more confidence I have to use this thing now.

However, anomalies aside the rest is very nice.

Well, that's to be expected.

After all, annoyance due to bias toward the edge of the lane is the next step on from not using it because it crosses into another lane. :p

:)

But seriously, part of the annoyance really is because the system can be more confidently used in more scenarios and thus I have been cruising uncomfortably close to other cars, but otherwise steadily...

Divided motorways or local streets?
City streets. Right side turnoff, no intersection involved. Just a side street turn lane that caused it..

I’ve noticed in general with this update that it tries to yank me a little more violently than usual at turn lanes and openings. I frankly have been expecting it to do the full ‘drive through turn lane’ style screw up, but I just didn’t expect at a spot that it used to handle with ease!

Just keep an increased eye on it guys..

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I’ve noticed in general with this update that it tries to yank me a little more violently than usual at turn lanes and openings. I frankly have been expecting it to do the full ‘drive through turn lane’ style screw up, but I just didn’t expect at a spot that it used to handle with ease!

I have gotten four yanks today (not sure if they are the same as your's but still) - three were yanks to follow lead car changing lanes (then it returned softly) and one was a ghost yank underneath an overpass (from which it too returned softly).

The yanks were very noticeable, a bit startling really, as said maybe a laterial movement of 10% of the lane... but quickly over too.

.42. Divided motorway. Hands on wheel.

Reactions: selfbp
I have gotten four yanks today (not sure if they are the same as your's but still) - three were yanks to follow lead car changing lanes (then it returned softly) and one was a ghost yank underneath an overpass (from which it too returned softly).

The yanks were very noticeable, a bit startling really, as said maybe a laterial movement of 10% of the lane... but quickly over too.

.42. Divided motorway. Hands on wheel.

Welcome to AP2 :D. AP1 seems to always make gradual and smooth movements that people describe as comforting or settling. It does not at all mean it's safer or more correct as of 2017.42, in my opinion. It will smoothly steer you outside of the lane, or smoothly refuse to follow a lane shift and drive you towards a ROAD CLOSED sign/barrier, etc etc etc.

AP2's movements seem to be much quicker. It really grabs your attention when it suddenly believes the world has changed. I think AP2 at this point is driving correctly as often as AP1. Its ability to give more responsive steering input also allows it to follow much tighter curves and lane shifts. But unfortunately, it does contribute to that unsettling feeling when it is doing something quirky. You never know whether or not it's going to quickly shift 10% in your lane or do something crazier than that, and at least I personally will intervene and override before finding out unless there is PLENTY of margin around me.

EDIT: FWIW, I have AP2.0, March build. It is centered when driving straight, but since 2017.42, I've also noticed a slight driver-side bias when handling sweeping curves, and even for some time after a curve has ended. It never used to bias like that on curves.

The .42 FW is by far the best release for me so far. Previously I had problems with the car cutting the inside of curves but now it stays quite centered in the lanes. It even manages to stay on course with bad or even absent lane markers. The photo below is from my daily commute from a section with about one kilometer of new asphalt and just preliminary lane markers. AP was doing very well.

E18.jpg

Ladies and gents! .44 has sort of/kind of blind spot detection!

Now, when on local streets where auto lane change is not truly available when autopilot is on (so basically non-highway streets) if you put on your blinker, the cars in the adjacent lanes appear as soon as you put the blinker on! Which is nice because when you decide to switch lanes, and disengage the autopilot, you know what cars are to the left and right. Also, the ultrasonic sensors appear to be much faster with recognizing curbs, grass, etc..... That being said, I haven't yet tested this with a car behind and to the left or right which is actually where the real blind spot is.... however, it is a new development, I just don't know if it is the front camera or if it picks up the actual blind spot. I'll test it more tomorrow, but so far, pretty cool