Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How LONG must I wait for my MCU2 UPGRADE???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this is only true if the owner agrees to pay the $2500 to get MCU2, then they will upgrade to HW3. Still no MCU1/HW3 upgrades

Indeed that seemed to be the case but recently I've seen 4 or 5 reports MCU1 Hw2.5 owners get the SX HW3 ECU only without MCU2 upgrade. Then again maybe they were mistaken about having MCU1 but most owners know that pain.

Reactions: Amber85
I'm a long time lurker first time poster here, but I wanted to share my upgrade experience since I have a November 2017 Model X with MCU1 and AP2.5 FSD and FINALLY have my upgrade for MCU2/HW3 confirmed for Monday next week.
I hadn't received any notification from Tesla that I was eligible for the HW3 upgrade but have been scheduling the appointment for the upgrade through my app 3 times over the last couple months, each time getting rejected saying my VIN didn't qualify yet. They had told me to do this during a recent visit to the SC (Agoura Hills, FYI).
Then, I had a separate door trim issue that needed fixed so they sent a mobile service truck out earlier this week to take care of this. During my conversation with him, he said he's noticed that from what he's seen there seems to be some vehicles, like mine, which are eligible based on configuration but don't actually show up in Tesla's system as eligible. He was kind enough to do some digging after he repaired my door trim and called me later in the day saying they had made the necessary changes on their end to show that my vehicle was eligible for the upgrade. I then scheduled the appointment and it's been confirmed for MCU2/HW3.

I have been one of the frustrated ones who was told my AP2.5 MCU1 configuration should be scheduled starting in March but was continually told I wasn't yet eligible, so I wanted to share the above in hopes it may help guide some of you in my situation.

called me later in the day saying they had made the necessary changes on their end to show that my vehicle was eligible for the upgrade. I then scheduled the appointment and it's been confirmed for MCU2/HW3.
Congratulations. I hope your installation goes smoothly.

Their process often confounds me. I have had several text interactions with my SC regarding the MCU2/HW3 upgrade for my MCU1/HW2.5 model X. In this one I think they are telling me that they have no way of checking my eligibility for the infotainment upgrade.
61971C8D-AC4A-4A7C-ABAB-57576C726016.jpeg

The whole process seems to be waiting for the email. They went on to say that when I get the email, make a service appointment and make sure to include in the notes that I received the email.

Today I was surprised to get a text that they have my HW3 in stock and I should make an appointment for it. When I asked about the infotainment upgrade, they said, “It does not state you are eligible for this yet. You will get a specific email from Tesla when you are.” I respectfully said that I will wait until HW3 and MCU2 can be done together.

I really like my SC guys and my frustration is not towards them, but rather this strange process that I must rely on receipt of an email (which could possibly get lost in cyperspace.) My MCU crashes almost every time I use the car, and I am truly anxious to get that resolved, even tho it will relieve me of $2500.

I know that Tesla makes many small changes to the cars over time, but are there really differences in MCU1/HW2.5 configurations that makes some of us eligible and others not?

Congratulations. I hope your installation goes smoothly.

I know that Tesla makes many small changes to the cars over time, but are there really differences in MCU1/HW2.5 configurations that makes some of us eligible and others not?

I agree it's confusing and seems disjointed on their end. The first 3 times I preemptively scheduled my upgrade and was denied they sent me the same response as your screenshot.
When they open up the chat prior/during my repair I'll be asking them for further clarification on why I never received the email and why it took the mobile service guy changing something in their system in order to show mine as eligible.

They went on to say that when I get the email, make a service appointment and make sure to include in the notes that I received the email.

At least for most of the folks I have seen post on here (myself included), none of us actually got an e-mail. All of us were part of that first group of eligibility (MCU1/AP2.5/FSD pre-purchased) yet we had to reach out and schedule on our own. And some of us had to reach out a few times because of this communication gap Tesla is appearing to have.

i was just told by a mobile technician that my car will not ever be eligible for the upgrade. Face lift Model S 2016 90D HW2.5. So many mixed messages.
There aren't any 2016 cars with HW2.5. If your car is 2016, it is either HW1 or HW2 (built November/December 2016).

Even so, Tesla has stated that pre-HW2 cars will still be able to upgrade to MCU2.

Usually sales people do not have real time information as to when your car will reach it's final destination. Instead of just giving you constant (and inaccurate) updates they will find it more efficient to just wait till they get notified that it is ready and been through inspection before contacting you and arranging for your pickup.

There aren't any 2016 cars with HW2.5. If your car is 2016, it is either HW1 or HW2 (built November/December 2016).

Even so, Tesla has stated that pre-HW2 cars will still be able to upgrade to MCU2.

i'm sure you are right about that but then why would this guy be telling me otherwise after looking it up and how do i get someone at Tesla to give an informed answer and expected timeline?

Last edited:
cool then why would this guy be telling me otherwise after looking it up and how do i get someone at Tesla to give an informed answer and expected timeline?
It sounds like there's a lot of misinformation since there's no 2016 car with HW2.5 and Tesla does plan on allowing HW2 and earlier cars to upgrade the MCU. The timeline is right here, under details: Infotainment Upgrade

upload_2020-5-7_13-18-42.png

If you have HW2, then your car will be eligible before a car that has HW1. People who have ordered Full Self-Driving appear to have priority over those who haven't.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
i'm sure you are right about that but then why would this guy be telling me otherwise after looking it up and how do i get someone at Tesla to give an informed answer and expected timeline?

“Someone at Tesla” provides wrong information all the time. Thankfully, you don’t need to find someone to tell you the expected timeline as they’ve already published everything you need to know. Your timeline is “coming soon”, or “late May” if you have the FSD package.

Infotainment Upgrade

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
“Someone at Tesla” provides wrong information all the time. Thankfully, you don’t need to find someone to tell you the expected timeline as they’ve already published everything you need to know. Your timeline is “coming soon”, or “late May” if you have the FSD package.

Infotainment Upgrade

This information is useless because Tesla's changes it monthly into yet another month delay.

Reactions: Amber85 and Vector2