Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many EAP owners would pay for the 3.0 FSD computer at what price?

How much would you pay now to upgrade to the new 3.0 computer?

• I'd pay cash $2k

Votes: 115 72.8%
  • I'd pay cash $3k

Votes: 28 17.7%
  • I'd pay cash $4k

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • I'll pay the curent $6k price

Votes: 11 7.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a legacy EAP owner and I will pay exactly $0 for FSD/HW3. I paid $5,800 for EAP and I'll bite my tongue on that... but I do love it and use it all the time.
Yeah, when I bought the vehicle, FSD was NOT an option, only EAP, so I went with that at $5k, and the Tesla person told me when FSD became an option again, I would only need to pay the $3k price difference. It's not at $6k, so I'm miffed about it. Totally missed it when it was at $2k, didn't have my finger on the pulse of this rapidly changing landscape. Boooo.

• Informative
Reactions: Runnergirl
My problem is not with the price exactly (though lower is better) but with the poor communications with owners. I bought a Model 3 with EAP in December 2018. I don't think there was any offer of an FSD option at that time. I only found out about the $2K upgrade offer when I joined this forum a few months later, and that was a few days after the offer had already expired. From reading the prior posts, I'm guessing most people found out about the various prices and dates for FSD indirectly such as through this forum rather than from Tesla. I like the car, I like Tesla's vision, I even like Elon Musk, but man do they need more competence in the owner relationships department.

I'd pay $2K or $3K at this point to upgrade to FSD, but $6K on top of $5K for EAP seems way too high.

Just finding out about this offer right now ‍♂️

My problem is not with the price exactly (though lower is better) but with the poor communications with owners. I bought a Model 3 with EAP in December 2018. I don't think there was any offer of an FSD option at that time. I only found out about the $2K upgrade offer when I joined this forum a few months later, and that was a few days after the offer had already expired. From reading the prior posts, I'm guessing most people found out about the various prices and dates for FSD indirectly such as through this forum rather than from Tesla. I like the car, I like Tesla's vision, I even like Elon Musk, but man do they need more competence in the owner relationships department.

I'd pay $2K or $3K at this point to upgrade to FSD, but $6K on top of $5K for EAP seems way too high.

I also bought in dec 2018

I love the EAP.
And I’ll consider what’s coming out but for now am pretty happy.

I’m an airline pilot, and one of the most unexpected things I’ve run across are the intelligent conversations with EAP Tesla owners relating the levels of automation to what’s in the airliner. How different scenarios require different levels of automation - I’ll click through all the levels several times on my 25 minute drive home- especially since i ride motorcycles and that makes me compelled to not always want to be dead center in my lane- i give them as much room as i like to give the person in 1995 Camry who’s clearly texting driving with his knee and drifting over to my side. I don’t trust other drivers as far as i can throw them and just don’t want to test Tesla’s jerky response when i can smoothly give them another foot or two to the other side of my lane. Raising or lowering the level of automation for where you are is very much like what we do in the air. But there’s no time where you get to tune out.
And when the lightbulb goes on and they realize that “the airplanes really don’t fly themselves do they?” ‘No more than you’re not really important at this point in your Tesla’. Obviously a lot of the automation in my airliner was developed in the 90’s and passengers and regulators are a lot less tolerant of an airline crash that an auto crash, but it’s nice to have non pilot people start to gain that understanding.
You drive and fly with your mind- the rest is efficiency, reducing fatigue, and giving yourself some valuable seconds adding up to minutes, where the automation can handle it and you don’t have to be hyper vigilant til you’re exhausted.

As an EAP owner (got car in December 2018) I want the new 3.0 hardware. I know it won't change what I have immediately, but it will. I want to help Tesla keep developing the technology. But at what price, after EAP already cost me $5k?

With apologies for not reading the entire 6-page thread: There is an implication in the above that the HW3 computer will improve the performance of the EAP software at some time in the future. I think this is unlikely, so I would not buy the computer.

I will buy FSD for whatever they charge, IF AND WHEN they release features that I want. If they raised EAP to Level 3 (eyes off the road and hands off the wheel) I'd buy it. At whatever price they charge. But that would require reliable stop-sign and stoplight recognition, as well as obstacle avoidance, and I don't think they are anywhere near that yet.

Reactions: evannole
I am not of a mind to purchase FSD/HW3 at any price right now. I was happy to be an early adopter of this car, but not that feature. I will wait for it to mature before considering buying it.

That said, I fear they will start adding other new non-FSD features to the FSD package (like what they did with some EAP features for new buyers), trying to incentivize people to buy it.

There are so many variables in this thread/questioning.

FSD as it stands today, is vaporware. I'd suggest that today, It's worth nothing. The only thing it's worth is what value we anticipate it will offer us in the future and that's why some of us have either already bought it or would consider buying it.....what we think it will offer us in the future. Nobody here knows what that is. We can all speculate. Autonomous Investor day might have helped frame where Tesla is going with some Elon timelines. That's why some people think it's totally worthless today and others think it's work $30K.

I bought EAP with my car and LOVE it. It is amazing and worth every penny to me as a heavy commuter. It is NOT without flaws, for sure, but it's a fantastic tool that enhances the quality of my life during my commute. A lot. I want AP to get even better (and it should). One thing I don't like are the constant nags even when my hands are on the wheel and would like a path to fewer or even no nags. I suspect that would be via FSD and HW3 only. I bought FSD once HW3 became a reality and imminent because I wanted to do my best to future-proof my Tesla. I bought my Tesla for the long haul and plan to own it for far too many years and miles. Buying FSD was definitely a "gamble" since I paid something for nothing today, but I'm fairly confident sometime in the future it will be a wise decision. I might be wrong. I do know this- these cheap $3K/$4K prices (maybe even $5K or $6K honestly) will be GONE if FSD works even close to plan. So, like most of life there are gambles here, but if you think Tesla has a shot a getting somewhere useful with FSD, then don't expect that to come cheap AFTER it's proven and the value is available at once.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
I'm in the camp of those who just didn't know about the FSD sale in March. I bought in July 2018 and purchased EAP for $5K. Would I have gone with FSD at $2K? Who knows? I just didn't have the option, since I was traveling out of the country at the time, and the sale came and went while I was away. I really wish I had received any sort of an email from Tesla regarding the FSD sale while it was happening. Like others, I found out about it only on this forum, only after it was over. I am signed up for communications from Tesla in all ways possible, and yet they NEVER email me anything at all. I used to get the occasional email notice from them before I purchased, but after becoming an owner, NOTHING. How can I trust them going forward, if they can't even notify me when they're selling something that might be of interest to me? I am beyond disappointed. I like EAP, and I might have gone for FSD in March for $2K, but definitely not for an extra $5K or $6K.

• Love
Reactions: dkde
There are so many variables in this thread/questioning.

FSD as it stands today, is vaporware.
I bought EAP with my car and LOVE it.

FSD would be vaporware to you but only bcos you have EAP. Other folks could only purchase AP (which is essentially TACC), so FSD would give them a couple of bells and whistles today: auto lane change & summon.

(personally, I have one m3 with EAP and one with AP -- jumped on the fire sell to add it in March.)

So in that sense, you are perfectly correct: there are many variables to this post.

So why didn’t you buy it a couple months ago when it was $2k?

Me personally, I’ve given Tesla more than enough money on future promises, so there aren’t any poll options that apply to me.
I bought an MX in December'18 after reading that the price was going to go up. That was obviously bad info but who could have predicted otherwise? Most posts on this site were saying the price was probably going to go up since no one was sure if Tesla was going to meet their $900M note. So I'm hoping there will be an inexpensive path to HW 3.

I also bought in dec 2018

I love the EAP.
And I’ll consider what’s coming out but for now am pretty happy.

I’m an airline pilot, and one of the most unexpected things I’ve run across are the intelligent conversations with EAP Tesla owners relating the levels of automation to what’s in the airliner. How different scenarios require different levels of automation - I’ll click through all the levels several times on my 25 minute drive home- especially since i ride motorcycles and that makes me compelled to not always want to be dead center in my lane- i give them as much room as i like to give the person in 1995 Camry who’s clearly texting driving with his knee and drifting over to my side. I don’t trust other drivers as far as i can throw them and just don’t want to test Tesla’s jerky response when i can smoothly give them another foot or two to the other side of my lane. Raising or lowering the level of automation for where you are is very much like what we do in the air. But there’s no time where you get to tune out.
And when the lightbulb goes on and they realize that “the airplanes really don’t fly themselves do they?” ‘No more than you’re not really important at this point in your Tesla’. Obviously a lot of the automation in my airliner was developed in the 90’s and passengers and regulators are a lot less tolerant of an airline crash that an auto crash, but it’s nice to have non pilot people start to gain that understanding.
You drive and fly with your mind- the rest is efficiency, reducing fatigue, and giving yourself some valuable seconds adding up to minutes, where the automation can handle it and you don’t have to be hyper vigilant til you’re exhausted.

Thank you! You’ve described Autopilot so perfectly for me. I’m only a monthlong owner, but I’ve been struggling to explain to others HOW I find Autopilot so valuable. It’s the same idea as in the plane — you let it take care of the mundane but always remain in control and vigilant. Great comparison and hopefully I can do a better job explaining to others what makes it so great.

So many people say “well if you can’t trust it and go to sleep, what’s the point?” Aye aye aye ....

I was watching a British driver using AP on those miserable narrow roads they have, and how he's smartly switching it on and off. There's another clip of a German on the autobahn, entering then leaving towns, frequently dropping and re-engaging AP for assist. I'm very satisfied with that, and value the benefits of EAP on a majority of my traveled miles. I'd love to go the next steps over time.

Thank you! You’ve described Autopilot so perfectly for me. I’m only a monthlong owner, but I’ve been struggling to explain to others HOW I find Autopilot so valuable. It’s the same idea as in the plane — you let it take care of the mundane but always remain in control and vigilant. Great comparison and hopefully I can do a better job explaining to others what makes it so great.

So many people say “well if you can’t trust it and go to sleep, what’s the point?” Aye aye aye ....

When I'm describing it to people, I say that when you're driving, even though you're not consciously thinking about it, your brain is constantly micro-steering to stay in the lane, and that's tiring. You don't even realize it. With autopilot, your brain is not required to do this. You only realize how much more relaxing it is when you experience it. And without having to micro-steer, you have more brain power available to be aware of possible hazards. You can be more alert to what's around you and approaching. Its utility is limited, but extremely useful. You need to disengage it in situations where you can do a better job than it can, as well for turns, and for stops not forced by a car ahead of you. Overall, used properly, it makes you safer because you remain more alert, and you are far less likely to have an accident during those inevitable brief moments when your attention is distracted.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
Now that I've gotten to know the EAP system better, and it's taken months, on a lot of drives I'm in AS or NOA about 90-95% of the time. I've learned for instance that with well marked lines it handles what I thought were serious highway curves like a dream.

Hey, I love just driving this machine, and that's great for the hell of it, and in situations where the AP isn't ideal, like city streets with multiple lanes that require frequent short distance jags. But what a relief when you can get back to AP, let the car handle the details, and focus on avoiding danger. At $6k that upgrade is a bit of a problem, but given where I know this is going, I'd grab that HW3 + FSD in a flash at $2-3K.