Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many PCS have failed?

Has your battery's Power Conversion System (PCS) failed?

• Yes, I can only charge at 32A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, and Tesla replaced it under the HV Battery Warranty

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For any other company that generally has their act together, I would think you're right. For Tesla though, I would more likely credit this to incredibly high turnover, confusion, miscommunication, etc. etc.
Well… I disagree. Mine is not the only instance of this breakdown and Tesla's refusal to cover it under the HV Battery Limited Warranty. We'll see what arbitration decides.

Oh, yes… if you read my dispute, the Las Vegas Service Center is where they refused to repair the breakdown under warranty. Which is why I filed for arbitration.
Holy cow. Do I just follow this thread for updates or what?

You should see what I had to do in this thread to get them to replace mine and nearly getting assaulted by a SA because of it. Trust me, the SLC SC isn’t any better. This is a Tesla issue.

Holy cow. Do I just follow this thread for updates or what?

You should see what I had to do in this thread to get them to replace mine and nearly getting assaulted by a SA because of it. Trust me, the SLC SC isn’t any better. This is a Tesla issue.
Oh, yes, I'll report the outcome of the arbitration meeting with Tesla here and in an addendum to my post.

Your thread describes a real nightmare! Service has truly become the weakest, most lamentable and frustrating link in Tesla's chain-of-operations. One might think that it shouldn't be a big deal, since electric vehicles have fewer parts to repair, but when they're built with faulty components that break down prematurely to begin with, and then they arbitrarily declare those components aren't covered by the appropriate warranty… customers start to sour on the company —and rightfully so.

Reactions: phishphan
Just had my 2018 Model3 (48K miles) PCS replaced with 2 months left on the Basic Warranty. I almost never charge on Destination Chargers so I guess I'm pretty luck to have encountered the problem recently when on a road trip. Who knows how long the PCS had been bad... (Though said road trip also left me with a cracked windscreen. :( ) Replaced under Basic Warranty in 2 days (including windscreen replacement and tire alignment... not covered under warranty). Was given an OLD (Signature Series) 2016 Model X to play with as a loaner. Those doors are fun to play with but I would HATE having to deal with them day after day!)

Just had my 2018 Model3 (48K miles) PCS replaced with 2 months left on the Basic Warranty. I almost never charge on Destination Chargers so I guess I'm pretty luck to have encountered the problem recently when on a road trip. Who knows how long the PCS had been bad... (Though said road trip also left me with a cracked windscreen. :( ) Replaced under Basic Warranty in 2 days (including windscreen replacement and tire alignment... not covered under warranty). Was given an OLD (Signature Series) 2016 Model X to play with as a loaner. Those doors are fun to play with but I would HATE having to deal with them day after day!)

Very glad they replaced your PCS, although I still maintain any and all components in the HV Battery Service Panel should be covered under the HV Battery Warranty —not the "basic" warranty. I actually suspect that my PCS lost its first 16kW module before I crossed the 50K miles on a roadtrip in AZ, but I simply didn't notice it on the charging display in my garage until weeks later, by pure chance. Can't prove it, however, so Tesla wants me to pay for the repair. And I might have to :( if my arguments don't sway the arbitrator.

Reactions: MP3Mike
If the poll wasn't closed, I'd add a PCS failure, currently able to charge at a max of 16A. I have an Oct 2018 3 with 82K miles. I have had this problem for years, but didn't recognize it as a Tesla problem due to the fact that the error message on the screen says something like "the power has been reduced due to a problem with the power grid" - which to me sounded like it was a problem with the energy source, not with the car. I didn't pay too much attention to the message because I use destination type chargers so rarely. Due to that misinterpretation, Tesla now wants to charge me $2,321.51 to replace the PCS and various related components. If nothing else, I would like to see Tesla reword that misleading message. I have refused the repair for now.

I will file a complaint with the NHTSA. I find interesting that the NHTSA issued service bulletin (SB-18-16-011) that is titled Replace Reworked Power Conversion System which has the Section/Group listed as 16 - HV Battery System. If it is indeed part of the HV Battery System, why wouldn't that be covered under Tesla's Battery Warranty? (The manager at Tesla service center was not interested in looking at this SB)

I am most interested in how your arbitration comes out. I am thinking to pursue arbitration, as well. Would love any tips and/or advice. My car is still at Tesla Service Center, I'll pick it up tomorrow not repaired. They will charge at least $185 for a general diagnosis fee plus for any work that I originally authorized as required in their most unfriendly APP process authorizing work before they'll take the car in. Tesla's requirement to communicate through the app to set up service may be efficient for Tesla, but definitely isn't in the customers' best interest.

I agree, authorizing work is standard practice which is why I authorized it feeling certain they would update the work order to the PCS instead, not install a part that isn't broken. What I'm objecting to is authorizing specific work before they've identified the problem. I would expect to authorize diagnosis and if the repair is different than the authorization, communication should happen before work begins.

If the poll wasn't closed, I'd add a PCS failure, currently able to charge at a max of 16A. I have an Oct 2018 3 with 82K miles. I have had this problem for years, but didn't recognize it as a Tesla problem due to the fact that the error message on the screen says something like "the power has been reduced due to a problem with the power grid" - which to me sounded like it was a problem with the energy source, not with the car. I didn't pay too much attention to the message because I use destination type chargers so rarely. Due to that misinterpretation, Tesla now wants to charge me $2,321.51 to replace the PCS and various related components. If nothing else, I would like to see Tesla reword that misleading message. I have refused the repair for now.

I will file a complaint with the NHTSA. I find interesting that the NHTSA issued service bulletin (SB-18-16-011) that is titled Replace Reworked Power Conversion System which has the Section/Group listed as 16 - HV Battery System. If it is indeed part of the HV Battery System, why wouldn't that be covered under Tesla's Battery Warranty? (The manager at Tesla service center was not interested in looking at this SB)

I am most interested in how your arbitration comes out. I am thinking to pursue arbitration, as well. Would love any tips and/or advice. My car is still at Tesla Service Center, I'll pick it up tomorrow not repaired. They will charge at least $185 for a general diagnosis fee plus for any work that I originally authorized as required in their most unfriendly APP process authorizing work before they'll take the car in. Tesla's requirement to communicate through the app to set up service may be efficient for Tesla, but definitely isn't in the customers' best interest.

I'm so sorry to hear this. There are times when I loathe being right, but I predicted in my dispute that there would be more and more and more PCS failures. It's a growing problem, and I can only conclude that Tesla realized it would happen years ago when they first issued that Technical Service Bulletin. They then made a company wide decision to henceforth distract, downplay, delay, sidestep the issue with purposely misleading "error alerts" rather then cover under warranty the faulty components that they had installed.

It sounds like they have also raised the price on that service. I was quoted $1,738.18 back in February, so the price they told you is $583.33 more. I'll be sure to report that when my arbitration finally takes place. I am growing equally frustrated that it is taking so long. I had to wait the 60 days specified in our Purchase Agreement, assuming that Tesla would then initiate the process, but I had to contact AAA myself and pay a $200 fee to file the case. They did reimburse me that fee, however, once they verified that Tesla was supposed to pay according to that agreement. Another 90 days have passed since then. AAA has told me that they assigned the case to one arbitrator in my area a few weeks ago, but that person declined, no explanation given. They then have asked a second person, but I have yet to hear if that arbitrator accepted, let alone when and if the arbitration meeting will finally take place.

I think most Tesla owners will now agree that Service has become the company's Achilles' heel. They have focused so much on quantity and growth, that quality and customer support have fallen apart. It really discourages me, for I have been a very active EV advocate for many years, and expected better than this from Tesla.

I've had my MYP for less than two weeks and I am having this PCS issue. Can only charge max 32A at home with a 60A charger. Took it to service center today (1 min away) and confirmed issue and got an appt.

So sorry to hear that! If this problem is now appearing in cars only two weeks old, rather than 3, 4, 5 years… Tesla is obviously still putting faulty equipment in it HV Battery Service Panels. In your case, since it's a fresh delivery, at least they'll cover the repair under the General Warranty (even though it should be covered under the HV Battery Limited Warranty).

Reactions: Rocky_H
I have a 2018 Model 3 with a PCS problem. Was quoted $1832 to replace it. I've been back and forth with a Service Advisor via the App but they simply stated that the PCS is not covered by the Battery Warranty and that my car (delivered July 25, 2018) is not covered by the Service Bulletin. I'll be filing an arbitration claim as well and look forward to hearing how others are dealing with this issue.

I have a 2018 Model 3 with 37,536 miles and a recently-diagnosed PCS problem. Was quoted $1832 to replace it. I've been back and forth with a Service Advisor via the App but they simply stated that the PCS is not covered by the Battery Warranty and that my car (delivered July 25, 2018) is not covered by the Service Bulletin. I'll be filing an arbitration claim as well and look forward to hearing how others are dealing with this issue.

Reactions: phishphan
Yanquetine, Any updates regarding your arbitration? I'm experiencing the same issue with my power conversion system and am anxious to hear the news.
I'm to have a "preliminary" online zoom with arbitration at the end of the month. Not even sure what that means or what it will entail, but I have it on my calendar.