Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much has your Model S cost you out of warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Consumer Reports marking reliability down, Drive units being changed regularly ... some pretty depressing news about.

Ownership costs will increasingly impact resale values, if the MS is cheap to run and own, resale will be strong, but expesive repairs bills will hammer the resale.

just FUD or what are your experiences of out of warranty costs vs mileage?

Drive unit replacements are free for now, because the car isnt 8 years old, and mileage is unlimited. I had one replaced at 55k.

Out of warranty fixes on the docket:
New touchscreen 4.K
TPMS sensors 100$ a pop
Mobile Charger 750$
Charging receiver assy (car port thingy) 2.3K

The last two may not be an issue, but just passing on the info. There are various threads on bubbles in touchscreen, hopefully ill get a goodwill out of it. Otherwise im out of pocket for two TPMS sensors i think. 65K miles and counting.

So far zero after 61k miles. Everything was covered by warranty. There were several issues, mostly DU replacements. The car never broke down or prevented me from driving or using it in any way though. So it comes down to the definition of 'reliability'. A car that has minor issues that don't prevent you from driving could be called reliable because it still does it's job. But that's only half the truth. A car isn't only to drive from A to B. If the main screen crashes, the car will still drive, but it's not acceptable. If features of the car have flaws then that's something every owner will be disappointed about. From that point of view Consumer Report is giving people a fair view.

Personally I don't care about a little noise from the headliner or some little things here and there. All the core features work great and most of all, it's a electric car that goes faster and farther than any other by far. So I'm fine. For those customers that don't care what us under the hood, all these little things become a deciding factor.

Still under warranty, I sure hope all the issues are resolved before my warranty runs out...
3 visits, in 4 months to fix:
-Broken Door handle
-Unresponsive steering scroll wheel
-Parking sensors seeing things that aren't there (they had a TSB for this)
-Screws falling out from the armrest
-Leaking sunroof
-The leather on the B-pillar bubbling
-Fogged headlights/fog lights (apparently normal)
-A few other minor intermittent issues being looked into

Just to clarify - have you actually had these repairs done (and paid for them?), or are you providing a list of the costs to replace these items should they break?
Thanks!
Drive unit replacements are free for now, because the car isnt 8 years old, and mileage is unlimited. I had one replaced at 55k.

Out of warranty fixes on the docket:
New touchscreen 4.K
TPMS sensors 100$ a pop
Mobile Charger 750$
Charging receiver assy (car port thingy) 2.3K

The last two may not be an issue, but just passing on the info. There are various threads on bubbles in touchscreen, hopefully ill get a goodwill out of it. Otherwise im out of pocket for two TPMS sensors i think. 65K miles and counting.

I have the extended warranty (at 54k now).
Already had two issues with the car
- chargepoint died (about $1k to replace); could not charge car
- car pulling to the right (control arms replaced, about $800).

#2 i've been complaining about since before the warranty expired and #1 was just around 51k, so i probably would have had a good will.

However, I got the extended warranty for peace of mind, and that's exactly what it has been,

I have the extended warranty (at 54k now).
Already had two issues with the car
- chargepoint died (about $1k to replace); could not charge car
- car pulling to the right (control arms replaced, about $800).

#2 i've been complaining about since before the warranty expired and #1 was just around 51k, so i probably would have had a good will.

However, I got the extended warranty for peace of mind, and that's exactly what it has been,

Can you explain how the deductible worked with your fixes? So your warranty was 4K? And I'm assuming you had to
pay $200 for each problem fixed correct ?

I have a 2012, so I got the early hardware. I'm at 47k miles.

I've paid nothing. NOTHING.

Like just about everyone from that era, I had my 12v replaced, though it never caused me problems. They called me up once and asked to replace my drive unit though again I had no problems. When I'd take it in for new tires or whatever, they would occasionally tell me they replaced these bolts or that assembly with updated hardware.

I had two actual problems. The first was the handles. Those were replaced and I haven't had a problem in at least a year, maybe longer. Again, I had the early hardware. The second was a cracked windshield. They replaced it gratis and no problems since. Again, early hardware (it is worth mentioning that the crack may have been due to a rock chip but neither Tesla nor I could tell for sure, so they just replaced it).

The story for me is that the service has been 6 out of 5 in terms of quality and attention.

10/10 would purchase again. In fact, I just did. Waiting for delivery.