Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How reliable is your Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 Model S 75 refresh. (Bought as a 60).

Had a new drive unit installed.
Currently in for an issue preventing the vehicle to drive at all. "Car will not start" message.

Probably 4 times autopilot system failed and had to be brought in for repair.

Sunroof shuttered closed and needed repair

Dash rattle

Floor mat velcro came completely off

12v battery died a few months after buying the car.

Probably a few things I'm forgetting.

I had the dash rattle too. Mine seems to be a bad dash pad that they're replacing as we speak. The weird thing is I've actually had a few rattles that went away on their own which great, but confusing.

Otherwise no mechanical issues (needed a sunroof adjustment too). That's basically what I tell people, It's sort of like a corvette Sedan, you buy it for the drivetrain and it's a legend in it's own time but expect some fit and finish issues.

Reliability can be relative. I was cross shopping X5 35d but those have serious carbon buildup issues. It seems like a lot of modern ICE engines are running into problems with increasing complexity keeping up with emissions. Looking at what 10 year old luxury cars are like to maintain now I think the simpler Tesla probably won't be too bad.

Last edited:
45k on my 2014 P85D

I've been left, unexpectedly, without the services of my car twice in 3.5 years of ownership. First with a 12V battery contact failure (fairly common issue from what I've read on these forums). Second was power steering failure. Also a common issue from what I read on here. The service center didn't want to admit it when I picked the car up, but Tesla issued a recall a few weeks after my car was fixed.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Water leak on day 2 of ownership, dash rattles (took a week to fix), water in tail lights, misaligned trim, grinding door handles.
No mechanical issues, but lots of down time to fix all the above. Great customer service with the Tampa center...
That said, these cars are rushed out of the plant with little to no QC control.. Dont expect a perfect car, the driving experience is what makes one forgot all the QC issues.

• Informative
Maybe we need to find a common definition of 'reliable'. To me that means the car does what it's supposed to do which is getting me from A to B. If it does that it's reliable, if it fails, it's not. My car has never ever not driven, so it has been 100% reliable.

I see many people here posting every single one of their little issues they had. Every car has little issues and the older they get the more of these little issues are coming up. I know many people who are loving their old cars and how reliable they are never letting them down. They have many little things getting worn out, rattles and things like that. They would never say their car is unreliable.

Maybe we need to find a common definition of 'reliable'. To me that means the car does what it's supposed to do which is getting me from A to B. If it does that it's reliable, if it fails, it's not. My car has never ever not driven, so it has been 100% reliable.
I completely disagree with your definition and your assertion that your vehicle has been 100% reliable.
I see many people here posting every single one of their little issues they had. Every car has little issues and the older they get the more of these little issues are coming up. I know many people who are loving their old cars and how reliable they are never letting them down. They have many little things getting worn out, rattles and things like that. They would never say their car is unreliable.
Per Consumer Reports' Car Reliability FAQ, what they ask is
How Is the Survey Conducted?
The Consumer Reports National Research Center conducts the survey each spring. In the questionnaire, we ask subscribers to note any problems with their cars that occurred in the past 12 months. They are asked to identify problems that they considered serious (because of cost, failure, safety, or downtime). We ask them to include problems covered by warranty, but not the ones resulting from accident damage or due solely to recall. Respondents check off problems from a list of trouble areas, ranging from the engine and transmission to climate system, brakes, electrical system, and power accessories. They also tell us specifically what their experiences were to help us understand precisely what problems they are having. (See the full list of trouble spots below.)
Car Reliability Histories lists the average problem rate at the bottom.

For me, if a vehicle needs any sort of repair be it DIY, visit to a dealer, independent garage, mobile service, etc. and it is not a wear item/consumable (except in the case of wear item that wore out far earlier than expected), then that's counts as a repair. Have a lot of them within a short ownership span from new? That starts counting as unreliable.

Battery degradation can be a grey area though, for some and given what I said above. Some will say Leaf batteries are "unreliable". No. They're not. They still work but due to degradation, the car's range autonomy is reduced, sometimes by a lot. In hot climates, they can degrade rapidly, esp. the chemistry that was in Leafs that built before 4/2013. It is almost unheard of for a Leaf battery pack to fail (to charge and/or propel the vehicle) and require replacement.

Virtually all Leaf battery pack replacements (I'd say 99+%) are for degradation, many covered under the capacity warranty.

Cars that I personally owned since late 2001 (the rest were assigned to me by my parents and one was a hand me down) have NEVER ever required 7 or 8 repairs for the same thing. People who are used to known reliable makes and models of Japanese cars rarely need more than the prescribed maintenance (often just oil changes, inspections and in some cases other fluid replacements) and replacement of wear items (e.g. tires, brakes, wipers) and consumables like air filters (cabin and engine) within the first say 60K miles. By 100K miles, I still wouldn't expect many needed repairs.

So, by your definition (for example, on a hypothetical vehicle), if power windows fail, one needs 4+ drive units replacements due to noise, one needs new door handles, the MCU dies, the MCU develops bubbles, one needs repeated repairs for snapping and messed up trim (e.g. examples at Driver side Falcon wing door hinge snapping when opening), all of which requires visits to the SC/mobile service, the vehicle is still "reliable"?

If my car kept throwing check engine lights, leaked oil, leaked transmission fluid, emitted weird noises, power locks and windows failed, AC failed, heater failed, cruise control failed, power seats stopped working, stereo stopped working and I had car another that had none of these within the same age and mileage range (assuming both started from new), the former is certainly less reliable than the latter.

Last edited:
My 2-year old model S has been very reliable. It's had exactly 2 issues both of which were minor; the right front headlight made just a slight buzzing noise while parked sometimes. When I took it in for the 2nd annual service, they noticed the right condenser fan was making a little noise so they replaced it. 25,500 miles with no other problems.

• Informative

We had the MCU go out on our P85D recently. While you could still drive the car, you had no AC or fans, no heat, no radio, no nav, no Bluetooth hands free, or anything else the MCU controlled. That was a pretty dang annoying failure even if the car would still get you from A to B and I think many people would list it as a reliability problem.

The P85D has also stranded us once when the power steering failed, so she was towed down to Van Nuys. It later had a suspension issue (rear hubs needed replacement) that required three weeks to fix and prematurely wore out a set of 21” tires due to the effect on the alignment. “Driveable”, but expensive in the end as it cost us a set of tires.

Reactions: David99
I took delivery of my MS 100D in March and had a few issues in the beginning related to the MCU2, 12 volt, and Air ride but all has been worked out and I can say the car is nearly perfect now.

I have owned a lot of high end vehicles and this one clearly is the most fun to drive and I most LOVE 4 things about it:

1. I love that Tesla's lawyers got beat down and don't run the company as evidenced by the fact that we are allowed to be responsible adults and have FULL access to all settings and features while the vehicle is in motion.

2. I love that the center rear view mirror has a slight convex to it so it makes all cars behind me look a bit wider and almost ALL cars looks cooler when they look wider.

3. I love that the voice recognition ACTUALLY WORKS!!!! I can talk to it in a normal tone in normal english ("Take me to Starbucks, take me home, take me to the nearest REI" etc) and it has never failed to work. Couldn't say that about BMW, MB and ESPECIALLY not Lexus!!!!

4. I love that it gets better the older it gets. Updates and improvements are handled over the air. It's more of a computer that is a bad a$$ car than a car with bad a$$ features.

It's a wonderful machine and I could not see myself driving anything else that is currently available over my Model S.

Oh, and with the 100D you will have ZERO range anxiety. I take it long distances all the time. We are super lucky to live in the West. I can't drive 300 miles in any direction without a super charger location along the way.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: EinSV
I'm just saying, while I had more service visits with my Model S than with any other car combined I would never call my Tesla unreliable.

Issues here and there, yes I had plenty and sometimes it was annoying. But at the same time Tesla makes service visits super convenient. Always a loaner car ready when I'm there. When I dropped off my old ICE cars for oil changes and regular maintenance, I had no car during that time and if I was lucky they had a shuttle bus. That was a PITA. Even though my Tesla was in the shop many times it was hardly an inconvenience. I think that needs to be considered as well.

60k miles. May 2015 70D

Never stranded.
Dealer visits - one at 6 months for loose armrest
2nd one - 2.5 years for 50k mile service (skipped the others)
At that visit they replaced the front half shafts and worked on a hatch rattle
Had to go back because the hatch was giving me issues after they adjusted it.

So 3 service visits (inc maintenance). 3 Tesla loaners. One was not AP but was P. One was a new 100D which was practically a P.

Out of warranty. At 52k miles - had my first 12V battery warning. They came to my place of work and changed it out - like $175 or something. No extended warranty here - pretty sure the 12V battery would not be covered since there is a deductible and it is really a wear item anyway. In NC, 3 years is just a little short of average 12V battery life.

I also had a AP disabled warning. Not sure what caused the issue but the radar unit got popped out of place. The front bumper was replaced because of a deer 8 months prior. I got it back in place after reading about the issue.

Last 5 series - in shop for 1 month the day after picking it up. Custom order. 10 service visits (or more) in the 2.5 years I had it. But never stranded and never paid anything. But terribly inconvenient as the dealer was a decent drive. And one time I got sent to Enterprise..... Boy was I mad.

I have owned two of the Mod S, first one (2015) had 30K miles at trade after about 18 months. Never back to service center. My second S is now just about a year old with 16K miles - also never seen the service center.

My wife has a 16 Mod X, did have the AC compressor fail, but Tesla picked up and returned the vehicle all at no charge. We are about to take delivery of her second X, a trade of the 16 for an 18.

Her previous ride was the Ford Explorer and that had a series of issues including wheel bearings and 4WD transfer case problems all at around 5,000 miles.

I own a factory where we "make stuff". I am acutely aware of how difficult it is to achieve perfection so maybe I am a little less critical of the producers. We own a dozen over-the-road tractors, a half dozen pickups and a few cars. Everything breaks, some a little more than others but in comparison these electric passenger cars are terrific. If you want to talk about reliability - ask anyone who owns or operates new large diesel trucks. The emissions and exhaust controls have something like 30 sensors, any single failure can stop the truck in its tracks. The truck is then towed to the shop and repairs commence. Sometimes it is warranteed, sometimes you get a bill for $4500, either way you are without that truck for at least a day.

I tell everyone that having driven a variety of cars and trucks for over 40 years, everything else was just a way to avoid walking. These cars are fun. And, we are doing our part to reduce carbon and other emissions.

Whenever this topic is discussed I need to point out that with any technology...'Machines break, Software has bugs and People make mistakes'. It's a fact if life that is built into service level contracts. When bad things happen quick repair/replacement service and Engineering Changes for poor design are the best that you can expect. If the product it not fit for the purpose there can be damage claims.

I don't think that the quality problems from a new manufacturer with leading edge technology justifies the criticism as long as repair/replacement are within some norm for that industry. I haven't heard of anyone making claim for damages except for the lemon law cases.

Tesla may in fact be leading the industry with mobile service techs, flat bed recovery contracts and constant cellular connection for the vehicle. Others may be doing the same but as mitigation for reliability issues it looks good to me.

Although I have to admit that we kept our 11 year old ICE vehicle was backup when we bought the Model S. It was well maintained but not worth much in the marketplace so it's now a winter beater and second vehicle when required. We burn very little fuel in a year with this old car so emissions are not a concern while our Model S runs on sunshine (solar array).

Hopefully my viewpoint will add value to the discussion.

This creates a false dichotomy, where a vehicle can only be either reliable or unreliable (which makes the inclusion of a percentage irrelevant). Such a paradigm eliminates both the spectrum of reliability and the granularity of each part of a vehicle that functions (or does not function) as intended.

Every car has little issues and the older they get the more of these little issues are coming up.

My Tesla required more warranty repair visits in the first week of ownership than the previous 3 new vehicles I owned during the entire period of ownership (4-5 years per vehicle), combined. That number of visits was 1.

Well, last night on my way in to work was the first time I felt like she would leave me stranded, I started getting the "Car needs service, car may not restart" warning. When I arrived at work, I had to put the car in park, and then when I tried to put it back in drive i received the following messages, and it won't let me charge either
IMG-9788.JPG IMG-9789.JPG IMG-9790.JPG IMG-9791.JPG IMG-9793.JPG
I call service and they have me do a couple more restarts and then tell me to get the car into service ASAP, I'm hoping the car will let me drive to Buena Park this morning when I get off work.....
This was a CPO purchase 21 months ago, and I have put about 60,000 miles on it since then so this will be a "customer pay" service
In the past I've had the car in for several other issues, but never had it not start
  • Leaking Pano roof (a few times before they fixed it)
  • Milling sound, drive unit replacement
  • Main contactor replacement
  • Rear tailight replacement
  • Driver seat replacement (twice)
  • Mobile connector replacement
  • Passenger airbag recall
  • A/C compressor replacement (out of warranty, goodwill without asking)
Hoping for some good luck this morning

• Informative
Would you buy another Tesla?

I bought my first Tesla expecting a higher than average amount of quality issues in the first 12 months of ownership (based on studying a variety of owner reports, here and elsewhere). The number and magnitude of warranty service replacements/repairs I experienced in the first 5 months exceeded my expectations.

If that answer seems to not address your question, see the thread title.

I bought my first Tesla expecting a higher than average amount of quality issues in the first 12 months of ownership (based on studying a variety of owner reports, here and elsewhere). The number and magnitude of warranty service replacements/repairs I experienced in the first 5 months exceeded my expectations.

If that answer seems to not address your question, see the thread title.
Yes or no would suffice.