Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Tesla Charges Idle Fees?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm with the others, can you share with us this "proof" of the no strings attached SC'ing for life? I just read through my MVPA and all it lists on the page with the cost is "Supercharging $0". There are no terms listed anywhere so it would be up to the court's discretion as to what "Free SC'ing for life" means. I believe that courts would allow some limitations especially if they are for the common good (allowing others to use the SC's).

Like the others said they can easily bring up a window next time you SC asking you to agree to the terms or else you can only SC on odd Thursdays when the moon is full some such weirdness. I don't think they will do that but they could. I was also reading through my paperwork just now and it seems like they can shut off app (telematics) access for "any reason" with 30 days notice. Assuming your agreement was like mine you signed that one when you picked up the car.

At this point you're just taking time off your life stressing about it. Sure, you can pull one over on big bad Tesla. But the cost to one's personal health just isn't worth it IMO.

Reactions: mobe
I think, legally, you'd be considered trespassing, if you are in the vehicle while not charging and signage shows a reasonable explanation of fault.

If not in the vehicle, it might considered to be blocking use of others and also covered under common use practice.

Something like this verbiage....

(1)

The abandoned property is left unattended for more than 48 hours; or

(2)

In the judgement of the member of the police department, the abandoned property constitutes a safety hazard or unreasonably interferes with the use of the real property by the person in possession.

I'm fascinated how some people don't care how they come across in the forums.

You might be a narcissist if:

1. You have an obvious self-focus during interpersonal exchanges.
2. You lack the ability to view the world from the perspective of other people.
3. You have difficulty with empathy.
4. You pretend to be more important than you really are.
5. You have no problem inconveniencing other people without considering the cost of doing so.
6. Your an expert. Not just any expert but the only expert that's got it all figured out.

We should stop commenting and let this thread fizzle out.

Then YOU can feel free to pay whatever fees you want.

I never agreed to any fees of any form for supercharging when I was offered the option. so I won't be paying any fees.

If they want to take me to court to try to collect, they can. But that is exactly what it will take, and I don't think their odds of winning that court case would be very high.

I still don't see why you are calling "parking", "supercharging". This whole conversation is to get people to move their cars after they finish charging.

And, you are welcome to your opinion, but it doesn't make much sense.

Reactions: juice15e
refusing to return the car is theft. They have no legal right to seize the car. As stated in my previous reply, I had a mechanic try that. it was sorted out very quickly, I drove away in the car, and they got nothing.
Wow. Now you are acting like Tesla is going to "seize" your car if you refuse to pay an idle fee. Tesla will do no such thing.

Well the only thing they legally can do there is stop the bleeding by changing the rules for NEW owners, nothing they can do about existing ones. That's their mistake that they should have thought about 4 years ago.

Free parking was nowhere on your order, nor a promise Tesla made. You can continue to have all the free supercharging you want, just get out of the way when done so others can do the same.

This is for the betterment of the tesla community and overall adoption of EV transport. Do you anticipate needing to park your car for extended amounts of time at full supercharger locations?

Reactions: juice15e
It's sad to see so many people attack green1 when he is 100% right.

A4QGzyu.jpg

Reactions: byan1232
All I have to say is @green1 is a great advertisement for how awesome Tesla cars are. Otherwise why would he put up with all the crap Tesla is putting him through with these updates and fees and all. Most others would have sold the car already and been done with them.

I do agree that Tesla does some shady stuff (ranger fees anyone?), but I don't know that idle fees fall into that category.

Tesla has marketed free long distance charging - which is not the same as unlimited free charging.

My purchase agreement only indicates I didn't pay anything to have supercharging included in my car - which is likely documentation that I am not being charged for the capability to be enabled in the car. There isn't anything in the agreement that specifies terms for use of the supercharger network. The free long distance charging claim was on the website - and because the purchase agreement has a clause that states that agreement is the only legally binding agreement, any other claims (such as free long distance charging, on board music storage or 3rd party app store) are probably not part of the purchase (we'd have to get an attorney to provide an expert opinion on this).

Imposing an idle fee isn't unreasonable. The commercial EV chargers I've used charge based on time connected - not on energy used or whether or not the car is actually charging. It might be simpler for Tesla to do the same - charge for time connected, whether or not the car is charging.

Of course, no matter what system they use for managing the superchargers, there will always be loopholes. They can't detect cars parked in the charging spots, unless they are connected to the charger - so anyone parked in one of the spots without a connection isn't going to get charged (and doesn't even have to have a Tesla). They also can't detect when charging spots are unusuable (either because the spot is blocked or because there is a technical problem, such as a damaged charging connector).

Waiving the fees when there's an empty stall makes this policy unnecessarily more complicated. Tesla should keep this as simple as possible, and encourage drivers to charge - and then leave, to minimize the time each car is at a charging spot.

If Tesla doesn't start taking orders for 100Ds this month, then our next Tesla purchase would be covered under this new policy - and depending upon how Tesla decides to implement this, it could impact our purchase decision, especially because this is another price increase, on top of the price increases over the last few months and what is likely to be another price increase for a 100D.

Reactions: mhan00
I went through my purchase and sale agreements. I actually don't see anything related to free use of supercharging facilities (although I am happy to have that benefit presently). This bit was in there though:

(emphasis mine)

Governing Law; Integration; Assignment. The terms of this Agreement are governed by, and to be interpreted according to, the laws of the State in which we are licensed to sell motor vehicles that is nearest to your address indicated on your Vehicle Configuration. Prior agreements, oral statements, negotiations, communications or representations about the Vehicle sold under this Agreement are superseded by this Agreement. Terms relating to the purchase not expressly contained herein are not binding. We may assign this Agreement at our discretion to one of our affiliated entities.

I looked for "Features Elon tweets about" in the items covered by the agreement but alas, it was nowhere to be found.

It seems to me that a company can add any changes they want, providing such changes do not conflict with the original agreement. In this case, I completely fail to see such a conflict. In fact, it seems everyone fails to see that except for @green1

You have been placed on notice that parking at a SC incurs a fee. Not only that, but your posts here are an acknowledgment that you have been made fully aware of this policy. If you refuse to pay, I hope you get sued. You will lose. Easy peasy.

FINALLY, please answer everyone's question to you: where does it say you can leave your car at a supercharger and not charge? You will not answer because you can't. You are horribly and completely wrong and you know it.

Reactions: MP3Mike
The *only* way green1 incurs any fees is if the charger stalls are all busy and he's not moving his car within 5 minutes of it being done charging.
Everyone is arguing with him whether or not Tesla can get him to pay those fees, but that's between him and Tesla and I couldn't care less. What I DO care about is when I am waiting at that same supercharger where his car is no longer charging, blocking me from being able to charge my car.

Give up, people. You're getting nowhere with green 1 - Totally closed mind. I have a lot of experience with this type of person.

We can only hope that most folks who have abused their supercharger use in the past will be prompted to modify their behavior by the new parking fees. Shame that it takes a stick to encourage basic consideration on so many peoples' parts, but the entitled attitudes of so many apparently make it necessary, as green1 so abundantly shows us.

Not according to the documentation provided when I signed up for supercharging services with a term of "life" at the time of purchase. Retroactive changes to contracts are not valid in my (or really any) jurisdiction

PROVE it. Show us a scanned copy of a contract that shows supercharging for LIFE. Not some @#$%ing twitter post, etc. Scan in the page of the bloody "contract" you claim shows that. Hint hint, no one else here has been able to find the wording you propose exists that gives you unlimited access WITHOUT RESTRICTIONS (these two words are the key genius) to Tesla's supercharging network.

Put up or shut up.

Reactions: MP3Mike and Max*