Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to erase your current trip for Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been pointed by some drivers here and I tested it myself.
I will make this post short and straight to the point of a method that specifically worked for me.

If you have a bad drive you don't want counted towards your score, this is how you erase it:

1. Continue driving as you normally would.
2. Once you get to your parking spot, DO NOT put car on Park.
3. Hold the wheel buttons and keep an eye on the Cellular signal.
4. Once the cellular signal gets crossed, put the car on Park and go on about your life.

Safe trips everybody!

Hold the wheel buttons and keep an eye on the Cellular signal.
Interesting. Is there a way to disconnect LTE ? If so, may be we can disconnect LTE and then safey park before rebooting.

I guess a round about way would be to connect to mobile after disconnecting mobile from internet. Even then, not sure whether Tesla would use LTE ...

I tested a theory today and found how to stop my car from uploading the safety data probably by disconnecting from LTE--park in a parking garage. YMMV as AT&T is very spotty in the Bay Area.

The drive safety data isn't cached and sent off when your Tesla connects again.

Interesting. Is there a way to disconnect LTE ? If so, may be we can disconnect LTE and then safey park before rebooting.

I guess a round about way would be to connect to mobile after disconnecting mobile from internet. Even then, not sure whether Tesla would use LTE ...

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
How do you know that a bad event has occurred other than an obvious FCW?
It won't show up in the app until you park the car.
Hard braking is the only one that's sort of difficult to avoid and very impactful, but it's also fairly obvious when it has occurred. If it's not obvious...well, probably you're not shooting for 100.

Still hoping that Tesla keeps track of how many two-button resets users have done during the evaluation period, and checks the mileage discrepancies vs. the vehicle odometer, for FSD Beta qualification. I assume they already have the ability to track all of this for other reasons. This reset method is clearly outside the spirit of the Safety Score competition (and more importantly it impacts their measurement of the risk profile & quality of their driver pool, and selects for people who may employ other driver-monitoring defeats).

Obviously users will occasionally need to reboot for other reasons (though it seems pretty rare these days)...but seems like three strikes or something over a two-week period should be fair enough. Or just reset the clock every time a reset occurs (require 7 or 14 days to be reset free before qualification is permitted).

Go for it, Tesla!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SgtPepper67
Well ... I guess you are saying "competition" as a joke ?
Not really. I mean, it's clearly a competition to see who can get the best Safety Score and qualify first for the FSD Beta. I'm not sure what else to call it? It seems kind of like a job interview.

To me it seems that people who use the two-button reset are taking unfair advantage of other participants. It is what it is, of course. I don't really care that much personally; I'll just try to keep my score at 100 and then hopefully I don't have to worry about it. It seems like Tesla should care a lot more, though, if they're actually trying to keep this as safe as possible.

Reactions: TresLA and ahoen117
Not really. I mean, it's clearly a competition to see who can get the best Safety Score and qualify first for the FSD Beta. I'm not sure what else to call it?

To me it seems that people who use the two-button reset are taking unfair advantage of other participants. It is what it is, of course. I don't really care that much personally; I'll just try to keep my score at 100 and then hopefully I don't have to worry about it.
I mean ... from Tesla perspective its not a competition. Its something they are using to weed out aggressive drivers.

From that perspective 2-finger solutes are probably not that significant. Esp. if it happens because of limitations of the current safety score calculation method.

I mean ... from Tesla perspective its not a competition. Its something they are using to weed out aggressive drivers.

This seems like semantics to me. Whether it is a competition or not isn't really relevant to my point, though. We can call it a qualification process if you wish.

The idea of the Safety Score as I see it is to determine people's ability to drive within certain parameters, and with a certain attentiveness, consistently. It doesn't really have anything to do with weeding out aggressive drivers - who are not necessarily bad drivers (depends on when they choose to be aggressive).

What if hypothetically people used the two-button reset primarily in situations where they would intend to use the FSD Beta? Would that be providing Tesla a good sample of candidates?

Last edited:
Reactions: Level8Drummer
Hard braking is the only one that's sort of difficult to avoid and very impactful, but it's also fairly obvious when it has occurred. If it's not obvious...well, probably you're not shooting for 100.

Still hoping that Tesla keeps track of how many two-button resets users have done during the evaluation period, and checks the mileage discrepancies vs. the vehicle odometer, for FSD Beta qualification. I assume they already have the ability to track all of this for other reasons. This reset method is clearly outside the spirit of the Safety Score competition (and more importantly it impacts their measurement of the risk profile & quality of their driver pool, and selects for people who may employ other driver-monitoring defeats).

Obviously users will occasionally need to reboot for other reasons (though it seems pretty rare these days)...but seems like three strikes or something over a two-week period should be fair enough. Or just reset the clock every time a reset occurs (require 7 or 14 days to be reset free before qualification is permitted).

Go for it, Tesla!
I’ve done 2
1 to fix the car’s Bluetooth from being hung
2 I slammed on the breaks (from around 5mph) and horn in parking lot as a car started to back out without looking.

Im not sure it should count at such low speeds. And I’d rather get a credit for being safe as opposed to being dinged.

Reactions: FalconFour
I've used this a couple times for stupid things, like a light turning yellow and silly me lifting off the go peddle and trying to not run an intersection. It's always a balance of wanting however many miles you've done COUNT but not have the bad event count. I can confirm this works, and doesn't immediately show up in the daily or overall score, but I wouldn't put it past tesla to look at logs and see just how many people increased their system reboots by 1000% compared to any prior week or month. ;-).

Regardless I have cleared the remaining problems that I (underscore I) have from this week with this little gizmo I found on Amazon.

йокелемене-men-in-black.gif

Attachments

• 1633559554326.png
    1633559554326.png
    169.1 KB · Views: 35
And I’d rather get a credit for being safe as opposed to being dinged.
As a driver you do get the credits, but Tesla is evaluating a Safety Score, not Driver Skills. If you just so happen to live in an area with a bunch of bad drivers or a bunch of deer, you're more prone to accidents. That's what they're trying to measure.