Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to mount FasTrak transponder non-destructively

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After some trial and error, I got my Metro ExpressLanes pass (which is a FasTrak transponder) to work when it is held flush against the plastic at the top-center of the MS windshield, above the rear-view mirror.

What are your suggestions for how to mount the transponder non-destructively, that is, without using the velcro strips? If I use the velcro strips, the strips will look ugly when the transponder is taken off, and will likely leave a residue on the plastic.

I bought a suction device (JL Safety EZ Pass-Port EZP300) that clips the transponder to the windshield. The device works great on the windshield, but will not stay on the plastic above the rear-view mirror because the plastic is not smooth--it has textured ridges. As a result, I guess some adhesive will have to do, but I would prefer a removable and residue-free solution.

After some trial and error, I got my Metro ExpressLanes pass (which is a FasTrak transponder) to work when it is held flush against the plastic at the top-center of the MS windshield, above the rear-view mirror.

What are your suggestions for how to mount the transponder non-destructively, that is, without using the velcro strips? If I use the velcro strips, the strips will look ugly when the transponder is taken off, and will likely leave a residue on the plastic.

I bought a suction device (JL Safety EZ Pass-Port EZP300) that clips the transponder to the windshield. The device works great on the windshield, but will not stay on the plastic above the rear-view mirror because the plastic is not smooth--it has textured ridges. As a result, I guess some adhesive will have to do, but I would prefer a removable and residue-free solution.

Mount it on the front of the crash bar under the nose cone. It works there and is totally stealth.

Mount it on the front of the crash bar under the nose cone. It works there and is totally stealth.
Or if you have a front license plate, get a license plate fast trak unit.

In my case it won't work, because the transponder looks like this:
transponders.png

It has a switch to change the number of passengers, so putting it on the nose cone or getting a front license plate-mounted transponder will lose that functionality.

I'll try those other options and report back! Which 3M gray tape, exactly? The strong-looking ones on Amazon.com look like they will not come off cleanly on demand.

If you want the switch accessible, the only place on the window it will work is in the black/screened area behind the rear view. I currently have mine mounted using the velco tape included. It's ugly though. Since I primarily use it solo, I plan to place it in the nose cone at some point.

fastrack-ms.JPG

I put mine in the glove compartment and was surprised that it works just fine there. Definitely works better than mounting on the windshield with the added bonus of being out of sight.

I do not have the transponder with the number of passengers switch.

It's funny. I've been tossing my FasTrak transponder into the front drivers side corner of my windshield. No tape, just face it backside out (i.e., switches facing down).

I'm not a regular MetroExpress Lane user, but have used it from time to time on the 110 freeway in Los Angeles. In the dozen or so times I've used it over the last six months in my Model S, I've always been charged correctly by MTA.

I'm not sure what to make of that except to say that perhaps my car is being visually checked by photographic evidence if the transponder isn't working.

If you are an infrequent user, that may be the way to go.

It's funny. I've been tossing my FasTrak transponder into the front drivers side corner of my windshield. No tape, just face it backside out (i.e., switches facing down).

I'm not a regular MetroExpress Lane user, but have used it from time to time on the 110 freeway in Los Angeles. In the dozen or so times I've used it over the last six months in my Model S, I've always been charged correctly by MTA.

Do you hear it beep when you pass under the detection devices?

FWIW, this has been working for me: I got the external FasTrak transponder and placed it on the left lower corner of the dash, and it reads! I keep it in the cubby until I'm approaching the station, then pull it out and place it there.