Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC | what is the expected charge rate when at home.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get 40A from my HPWC at home. It's on a 50A circuit. I have a single-phase connection from the street with an 80A maximum (which is a bit more than the norm I know).

It's pretty rare that I charge at 40A though. I usually just leave things between 10A and 15A and try to charge when the sun is shining to keep my car as solar-powered as possible (I guesstimate I manage ~50% solar. More in summer, less in winter). Charging at 40A means I have to start thinking about what else is turned on in the house so slower charging reduces a source of anxiety. It's nice to know it's there for when I might need it (not often).
I also charge using solar, and have noticed the charging speed is higher during the day. The solar seems to marginally increase our voltage, whereas at night it drops back down.

Nope, I'm not. At night we get 232 volts, and during the day if the sun is shining its 245 volts. If I turn off the solar panel circuit breaker the day voltage drops to 232 volts. The solar panel supplement increases charging speed by around 8kmh (varies)

That is one of the reasons that power companies sometimes give for not approving larger grid connected solar systems. Before they would let our 27kW system go live they had to test the grid voltage and ensure that it wouldn't go over the maximum voltage.

As I understand it they set the voltage at the 11kv to 415v pole mounted or padmount transformer to ensure that the person furthest from the transformer receives at least the minimum voltage they are required to supply. This all works fine with the electricity flowing from the power station, through the grid and out to the customer. However, when solar systems start popping up along a street there is now power being injected at mutiple points. This can raise the grid voltage locally. It is not a reason to block solar, it's just the grid needs to adapt from it's traditional one way flow of energy.

That is one of the reasons that power companies sometimes give for not approving larger grid connected solar systems. Before they would let our 27kW system go live they had to test the grid voltage and ensure that it wouldn't go over the maximum voltage.

As I understand it they set the voltage at the 11kv to 415v pole mounted or padmount transformer to ensure that the person furthest from the transformer receives at least the minimum voltage they are required to supply. This all works fine with the electricity flowing from the power station, through the grid and out to the customer. However, when solar systems start popping up along a street there is now power being injected at mutiple points. This can raise the grid voltage locally. It is not a reason to block solar, it's just the grid needs to adapt from it's traditional one way flow of energy.

If the voltage gets too high then the solar inverter shuts down. I saw this at my house after adding more panels - had to upgrade the AC feed in circuit to reduce the voltage drop across it. I'm near a transformer.

Effectively the inverters stop the line voltage from going out of control by shutting off.

If the voltage gets too high then the solar inverter shuts down. I saw this at my house after adding more panels - had to upgrade the AC feed in circuit to reduce the voltage drop across it. I'm near a transformer.

Effectively the inverters stop the line voltage from going out of control by shutting off.

I have micro-invertors on each panel which regulate the voltage to prevent the overload occuring, although I was advised to not exceed 16 panels on a solar circuit.

Nope, I'm not. At night we get 232 volts, and during the day if the sun is shining its 245 volts. If I turn off the solar panel circuit breaker the day voltage drops to 232 volts. The solar panel supplement increases charging speed by around 8kmh (varies)

How low can we go? Volts that is ... Seen it down to 217 so far.

image.png

I have micro-invertors on each panel which regulate the voltage to prevent the overload occuring, although I was advised to not exceed 16 panels on a solar circuit.
Yep, all of the inverters work that way. They increase the voltage to just above the line voltage so that power flows into the load, but within limits.

- - - Updated - - -

How low can we go? Volts that is ... Seen it down to 217 so far.

Charging just kicked in off peak. I saw the voltage drop to 240, but now at 242V.

image.jpeg

Was charging at a regular location last Tuesday and the voltage there varied between 214 and 219 through the day, ( I was bored). Still got my 2 kW. Probably because the UMC only draws a maximum of 8 amps. ( despite being rated at 10, according to the manual).

Guys, I picked up a new Model X for my wife this weekend. I ordered the car with the high amperpage charging update. I have an HPWC at home and also have 3 phase power.

I set the HPWC at 32A on the rotary dial when it was installed. When I charge I am getting about 85km/h at 17kw. That is about what I expected (with dual chargers I guess I could have been charging faster but alas that is no longer an option). But, I was also expecting to see 32A "available" and 440V or so.

What actually happens is that is the current shows 24A/ 32A for a few seconds and it then switches down to 24/24. And I am only ever showing 240V (though I do have the 3 phase indicator).

I realise I am not going to do better than 17kW with this charger (16.5kW rated) but I want to be sure there is no other problem brewing with the car showing only 24A "available". If nothing else, if one of you guys with a dual charger S drops by you will want to have the full 22kW experience!

Any thoughts on this?View media item 116552View media item 116551

I set the HPWC at 32A on the rotary dial when it was installed. When I charge I am getting about 85km/h at 17kw. That is about what I expected (with dual chargers I guess I could have been charging faster but alas that is no longer an option). But, I was also expecting to see 32A "available" and 440V or so.

What actually happens is that is the current shows 24A/ 32A for a few seconds and it then switches down to 24/24. And I am only ever showing 240V (though I do have the 3 phase indicator).

After a recent software "upgrade" (I think it was 8.0) the car will now only show you the maximum the car can draw from that location.
I suspect this is to stem the number of support calls asking why the car isn't charging any faster, but the end result is that it makes it impossible to know what charge rate other people may get - making for some very confusing PlugShare entries.

I think the charging screen on the old mobile app still showed the maximum current available, but I would not be surprised if they "fixed" that in the new version as well.

And the car will always show the phase-neutral voltage (ie 230->250V) with the "3" indicator to show when you're charging at 3-phase.

• Informative
Reactions: Blue heaven