TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Huge Delivery Fee on Inventory Purchase?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Kingside, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Kingside

Kingside Member

I just bought an inventory P85D - I was told the car was in Florida but it turns out its in Maryland. I am moving to Colorado so I want to ship it there, but Tesla is saying they can't do that for some reason, or there will be some huge delivery fee? I'm not sure what to think, but isn't Tesla supposed to ship the car to where you want?

2. dalamchops

dalamchops Member

u can only purchase inventory cars within your region.

3. Kingside

Kingside Member

Yeah they thought it was in Florida so that's when I purchased. So from your answer, it sounds like they only ship inventory cars to the same region? How much would it cost for me to pay tesla to ship it to Colorado?

4. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

A better way to put it is that they prefer you purchase cars within your own region. They were more than willing to ship inventory cars from Texas and Florida to NC for me, but I ended up with a CPO instead. They can make the move happen, but I do believe it is over $1k to transport it. For CPO cars, they charge $500/$1k/$1.5k depending on how far it needs to go. I have to imagine they got that pricing from the carrier agreements they likely already had in place for inventory and factory ship cars.

5. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

#5 MorrisonHiker, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    If you are able to get it shipped, be sure to check into the $6000 state tax credit once you register it in Colorado and see if you qualify.

6. Tamar

Tamar Member

They are not charging me at all to ship my inventory car from Chicago to Mpls. However, my store's SM would not share any cars from outside the region with me when I was looking. This is probably one reason why, the cost and logistics of shipping. I know they ship CPO cars between regions, for a price. How much is "huge"? Is it more than they charge to deliver CPO cars?

7. DFiveK2

DFiveK2 Member

Whatever you do don't let them put in on a train you won't see it for months.

Id pay for private transport to get it wherever you want it go in an expeditious manner rather than leaving it up to a really slow bureaucratic process. It's worth it.

8. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

If it were me & that was my perfect car, I'd fly out and drive it back myself. Nothing like a road trip to spend some quality time with a new car.

9. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Not a bad idea at all! Road Trip to Buy a Tesla

10. Insane

Insane Banned

I don't believe there are any shipping charges for inventory vehicles purchased within the same region. I would not have a used vehicle shipped to me because I may have to accept the condition of the car as being used. Which means there could be stains on the seats, internal wear and tear. I would go inspect the vehicle and if possible pick it up from there.

- - - Updated - - -

You will have to call a store at that region, fly up there and drive it back. However if you have already paid a deposit, then your deposit is stuck with you DS to get within the same region. I offered to drive up to a store within the same region to view the vehicle and my DS did not let me.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, it could take a month for the vehicle to be shipped.

11. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Well, I went back to my notes. The Texas and Florida cars both would carry a $750 delivery fee for me to get the car shipped to NC. Note, Texas is not in the same region. Florida was, but it was coming from Dania Beach, so distance wise, it was essentially going cross region even though it officially wasn't. That said, these were in March and Tesla has been more than willing to change their mind. On the CPO side, a week before I ordered my DC -> NC car, @lolgas ordered his Atlanta -> DC car with $0 for transport/shipping.

12. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

I paid $1000.00 from NY (ok, Paramus, NJ) to Charlotte, NC, as a benchmark (645 miles).

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Concur.

14. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

Just to add a data point: Inventory delivery from Atlanta to Springfield, NJ (850 miles) was $750 in April.

15. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Unless you're picking it up in a state with high sales tax and taking it to a state with low sales tax. A number of years ago I bought a rare ICE in CA because it was the only way to get one. Paying the CA tax instead of that of my own state made picking it up in person very unattractive. I ended up just having it shipped and saved a good bit of money.

16. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

While I completely agree with this, it also depends on the state. I flew to VA (DC area) and drove my Model S to NC. I did not pay VA tax. In fact, they even had a NC temp tag and registration on the car and collected NC tax (3%) on my MVPA and had NC title and registration paperwork for me to sign. The only thing they hadn't done/couldn't do was the NC state safety inspection of my car.

17. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Indeed, that's exactly correct. It does vary by state. Sometimes states near each other have taxation reciprocity for vehicle sales, such as what you aparently found between NC and VA. So while that's definitely good to point out, it's pretty unlikely that FL and CO have such an agreement and probably doesn't apply in this case.

18. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

True, but in this case, if the Op has a higher than 6% tax rate in Colorado, they will get a credit for the 6% paid in Florida. Florida requires the 6% to give a temporary transit plate with is valid with out-of-state insurance (so no need for special insurance). This quote is from Mesa County, but I would imagine it would be the same in all counties/cities in Colorado...

http://clerk.mesacounty.us/mv/sales-tax.aspx
    According to the same page, the City of Grand Junction has a total of 7.65% tax for car purchases:
    - 2.9% CO State
    - 2% Mesa County
    - 2.75% City of Grand Junction

Chances are good that the Op would be over 6%.

But I totally agree with you Giz, the devil is in the details and each buyer should take into their personal considerations and tax rates. Plus a Florida -> Colorado drive would not be a single-day affair like my DC -> NC drive. The value of your own time should be taken into account as well.

19. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

You could easily save all that freight. There are any number of teen-aged boys just out of school who would gladly drive it to CO for you for free.
    What could possibly go wrong? :)