Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hurricane & Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you all for the responses/information/help and good wishes!

I will charge it up to 100% today, since I still have to work tonight (crazy) and will "burn" a few miles. Then top it off to 90% over night. This should get me over an eventuell power outage. Besides, can't drive much in the after mess anyways.

See you all when it's over! lol

Thank you all for the responses/information/help and good wishes!

I will charge it up to 100% today, since I still have to work tonight (crazy) and will "burn" a few miles. Then top it off to 90% over night. This should get me over an eventuell power outage. Besides, can't drive much in the after mess anyways.

See you all when it's over! lol
you should consider getting out of there!

Power aside, you really don't want ANY vehicle to incur water damage. If you're close enough to the shoreline that there's any danger of that, I'd seriously consider relocating to a safer spot with your car(s). Or parking them in a business garage on an upper level.
Good luck.

Yes, but ICE cars have more options. Power may be out where you are but on a few miles away. There's not another supercharger where power may be on nearby.

In some places there is. In the rest there will be before too much longer.

But unless you're road tripping through a disaster area on a tight schedule (which sounds like a rather poor plan to begin with,) you don't need a Supercharger - just somewhere to charge.

There are a lot more of those than there are gas stations, and they don't have nearly the same supply challenges.

Power aside, you really don't want ANY vehicle to incur water damage. If you're close enough to the shoreline that there's any danger of that, I'd seriously consider relocating to a safer spot with your car(s). Or parking them in a business garage on an upper level.
Good luck.
My hurricane / flood strategy always has been to park in an upper level at an airport garage. I figure one of the first places they will restore power and access will be the airport. Back in the days before cloud and remote backup capability (and before my Model S), I would actually take down my office file server, load it into my trunk, and park my car on the 4th floor of the Tampa airport.

I can't recall if the WPB airport has a multi level garage, but might be worth exploring.

Good luck down there!

No reports yet of SC crowding on evac routes? There are reports of gas shortages so crowding would be expected. I'd be travelling in the middle of the night. Doesn't help with getting gas, just makes it worse.

Here in NC, we are just 2 weeks out from a gas shortage.

The truly best case is EVs a few years from now. All that idling in crowded roads hurts ICE a lot more than us.

But it's a lot easier to stash a 5 gal gas can than 40 kWh of electricity.
I'm not too sure. My S85 seems to store more than 40 kWh pretty well without the stink too.

As an aside, years ago Hurricane Andrew (1992) hit the Bahamas including an island I then owned. My spouse was on the island during the storm. Our solar power never went out, we even generated some during the storm from lightening flashes. Conventional generator power on nearly islands went out and stayed out for some time. Well designed solar power systems can be more stable and robust than the ICE ones. We store lots of power then.

I'm in Daytona Beach. I live a block from the ocean. I am supposed to evacuate, but I'm not. It's hard with animals. I haven't taken delivery of my X yet. It may have already arrived in Orlando. I hope it's in a garage.

This hurricane is almost as worrisome as my impending delivery of my Model X!

I'm in Daytona Beach. I live a block from the ocean. I am supposed to evacuate, but I'm not. It's hard with animals. I haven't taken delivery of my X yet. It may have already arrived in Orlando. I hope it's in a garage.

I hope you will be ok. This is a bad storm. Only being a block from the ocean and not leaving is not a very wise decision

I hope you don't live in the first floor...
daytona_beach.jpg

Hurricane MATTHEW
Take your dogs and cats and evacuate!

[Update makes things slightly better] above NOAA link

Last edited:
Reactions: nwdiver

Please be very careful and try at the very least to find a local shelter. This is a potentially coastline-altering storm and unprecedented in living memory in your area. If you run into a situation where your animals may not survive, there's an extremely good chance that you won't either. Over a thousand people thought they would be fine riding out Katrina and ended up dead, a few of whom I can only assume stayed for pets. If you live through the storm, you may face weeks without clean water and/or power.

Plus if you die, you'll never be able to experience such an amazing vehicle :<