Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC UI design sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Idk. I too will withhold final judgement until trying it for myself. But some of the criticisms in the article seem legitimate to me. The contrast part is a no-brainer, for example.

And I guess I'm weird compared to most of the other people posting because I do quite frequently adjust the directions of the vents in my car and I wouldn't want to have to take my eyes off of the road to do so.

Maybe/hopefully it will turn out that the driver can learn to rest his/her thumb on the outside edge/frame of the screen, and that will allow the driver to have a steady hand even while driving over uneven pavement, and will also provide a reference point which will make it easier to make necessary adjustments without taking his/her eyes off of the road for more than a split second.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'll reserve judgement for when I use it.

Most of the conventional vents I use have the flap in the middle so that when you are adjusting, you block the wind (at least partially). So I kind of adjust it, see if it blows correctly, and then adjust it again if not. So one advantage of this design is there is nothing blocking the wind when adjusting.

The other difference is you adjust it largely based on where you want the wind to go instead of indirectly with the flaps. You get a much larger range of motion so it may be more accurate without having to fiddle with it. Also it may be easier to set it exactly to where you want it to blow at an instant (just tap at the general area, instead of having to use flaps and feedback from the wind to see where it is going).
Wow you joined TMC in 2007... #respect

While "this sucks" is a wonderfully compelling argument, I was rather hoping for some actual bolstering evidence.

Alas, I am disappoint.
bfBaBz3.jpg

We don't know if the vent settings are tied to the profiles.... But they should be, and more importantly, due to Tesla's decision to control them via the touchscreen they CAN be. Even if they don't initially, they could later. So, I, for one, think it is brilliant. Particularly because when I get in my car, I can always tell that my wife has driven it because she always points the vents away from her face. I know within seconds / minutes due to discomfort. The idea that she could have her own settings and when I get back in it returns to mine is amazing. By the way, not all HVAC are created equal. I have learned that my current vehicle is too aggressive for me (compared to my previous GM product). Both climate systems have auto mode. But, It always wants to cool things down so rapidly that I inevitably have to turn it off auto to stop it from blowing too hard and cold. It's quite annoying because I NEVER adjusted anything but temperature on my previous vehicle and now I constantly have to override the overly ambitious auto settings after the system starts to cool me down. I hope that the M3 is calmer or even better, adjustable!

From someone that has actually tried it:
  • D_LivsGarland
    8/15/17 4:52pm
    That’s the thing... it’s not buried. It’s easy and fun to use.

I’ve tried it. My friend has a beautiful white Model 3. It’s so cool. Just trying to offer my opinion as you guys are all shitting on it. Try it! I thought you guys were enthusiasts who could appreciate fun design. Perhaps you’re just used to other automakers *sugar* infotainment systems? Having hot flashes?

It’s seriously not any more confusing than the HVAC in my Porsche with its Lear-jet inspired interior with 1,000 buttons. I still have to hold down the “economy” button for 3 seconds to engage mono temperatures. That’s not easy or intuitive (my fiance can never remember).

And no. I have to adjust temps in cars that are older than 10 years ago. Modern cars do a good job of keeping in comfortable once you find a temperature.
    What is so hard for everyone to understand? I can only assume everyone is used to *sugar* HVACs or *sugar* infotainment screens? Do all these Jalops really drive *sugar* cars all the time?
    I’m telling you: I’ve actually used one of these things, and it’s freaking cool. Where as the jalopnik author and everyone else here are judging it off a twitter video. The two people who have used it love it. Torch is obsessed with beetles so we know his opinion on HVAC systems is not to be trusted.
Also, note that the passenger in the demo video was trying to film and use the UI at the same time, so trying to frame the video and using your other hand in a moving car is a leeetle difficult.

My friend, who is a Sherrif's Deputy, told me this:

To me, manipulating this while driving is asking for trouble. I don't think I could bust drivers for this, since it's part of the car, but if it didn't control vital features of the car, I'd treat it like someone using their mobile phone. Its designed for a future where driving is a distant memory.

• Disagree
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rich966 and Lunarx

To me, manipulating this while driving is asking for trouble. I don't think I could bust drivers for this, since it's part of the car, but if it didn't control vital features of the car, I'd treat it like someone using their mobile phone. Its designed for a future where driving is a distant memory.
Porsche Panamera compared to Model 3

One of these cars will identify you before you get inside. The other won't.

At least in CA you're allowed to touch your mobile phone while driving in almost the exact same way, swipe here, swipe there.

Wouldn't you be able to FEEL the air blowing on you while you move your finger around to adjust the vents? So why would you need to look at the touchscreen the whole time?

I also tend to check my vents when I start the car and am still in park. When you live in Florida and your car is hot as heck most of the time you get in it, that's the first thing you check.

It's also not the end of the world to adjust your vents at a red light or when stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. Also, driver profiles (combined with pre conditioning) seem like they'd make this a potential non issue.

I am curious if you'd be able to assist the vents with the steering wheel buttons. I would hope so. And again, it would nullify that articles complaints.

The contrast issue is a ridiculously weak point. Would take 3 seconds for Tesla to change that part of the software.

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture

Cops were I live are on their laptops and talking on cell phones while driving... I think that quickly moving some dots around is no more distracting than glancing at a GPS device. You don't keep looking at the screen while you're moving the dots. It's not like you're texting.

Imagine if you had two separate vents on either side of the steering wheel that you had to look down or feel for and adjust each one separately, first with one hand, and then with the other. The majority of people would be quickly glancing at such vents instead of blindly feeling for them, so being able to feel for the vents is not really a benefit. To me, manipulating this while driving is asking for trouble. :rolleyes:

A touchscreen in plain sight where you glance for half a second just to put two fingers on the screen and adjust to how it air feels on your face without looking down again seems far less dangerous than two separate vents manipulating with one hand each and two separate glances. Next time you're in a traditional car, be mindful of where your eyes go when you adjust your vents. It's natural to look, but obviously you don't need your eyes on it the whole time, the same is true with the screen.

Let's go back to riding horses. Horses are far superior to cars.

I know some people who would agree with that, they are horse trainers and travel around the country to show, buy, and sell horses. The interface for the vents can change with time perhaps auto change with driver profiles? Like I said I will hold judgement good or bad unill I try it. I may love it or I may hate it.

And you have to adjust it while the car is moving

I suppose I don't have to adjust them while moving, but since the majority of my commute is freeway, I would have to exit and pull over to do so. So I do normally make the second adjustment while driving. I guess I am surprised others don't ever adjust their vents.

If the vents get tied to my profile, I could just make two profiles: one with the vents pointed at me, and one with them away. It would be even nicer if I could save vent profiles independently of my seat profile. All of which is possible with the vents controlled by the touchscreen.

3 memory slots that are tied to the user profile would be an interesting possibility that not only adds functionality, but reduces distraction activity.

Each (namaeable?) profile remembers:

• HVAC mode
  • Recirc settings
  • blower settings
  • vent mode(s)
  • vent positions
For instance, I often set AC-off / non-recirc / dash&floor vents enabled / blower 5. This is my "fresh air" recipe. I could save this in memory slot 1, along vent positions, named "Fresh Air". I could get to this setting with one button press. from the HVAC page. Not only would this eliminate 5-6 activities on the UI as well as fiddling with physical dash vent positions, it recues the distraction to below that of a manual system.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx