Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2.5 even after April 12th build date

Do you have HW3 build date after April 12?

• Yes

Votes: 44 50.6%
  • No

Votes: 43 49.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got back from the delivery centre.
Firmware version is 2019.7.107
Guess I won't know if it's HW3 until it updates to 2019.16.3.X ?

I’m not aware of anyone claiming to have taken delivery of a car with 2019.7.107 and not having HW3. Remember that 90% of the stuff Tesla employees say is just flat out wrong. The only way to absolutely know for sure is to inspect the board itself, which requires removing a bunch of parts in the car. But Elon stated that all cars built on or after 4/12 will have HW3, and if someone really discovered that Tesla had gone back to installing V2.5 boards this late in the game I think the media would have picked up on it and made a big fuss by now.

Could you remind me of the difference? Was one in H.264 codec and the other in H.265?
Yes, exactly. h.264 on hw2.5 and h.265 on hw3.

“Running 2019.16.2 on a Model 3, Apple QuickTime's "Movie Inspector" shows H.264 (not H.265) format on TeslaCam files still within the .mp4 container.

Perhaps this format change was present earlier, then pulled, or was on an experimental firmware branch.
I have since learned that this change isn't about what software version you're on, but rather if you have HW2 or HW3. It seems that cars with HW3 are the ones that are encoding to H.265/HEVC - several people across different online discussions have confirmed this (although I know the plural of anecdotes is not "data").

Maybe this is the first concrete indicator (besides build date) to determine if you have HW3 or not?‘

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Yes, exactly. h.264 on hw2.5 and h.265 on hw3.

“Running 2019.16.2 on a Model 3, Apple QuickTime's "Movie Inspector" shows H.264 (not H.265) format on TeslaCam files still within the .mp4 container.

Perhaps this format change was present earlier, then pulled, or was on an experimental firmware branch.
I have since learned that this change isn't about what software version you're on, but rather if you have HW2 or HW3. It seems that cars with HW3 are the ones that are encoding to H.265/HEVC - several people across different online discussions have confirmed this (although I know the plural of anecdotes is not "data").

Maybe this is the first concrete indicator (besides build date) to determine if you have HW3 or not?‘

Well, again we are just guessing, just like any cars built after April is HW3 which may be proven wrong
Maybe the encoding is based on software version.
HW3 is supposed to be only used for Autopilot and FSD so why would it be needed for sentry videos to encode at H265?
If it turns out that HW3 is needed for H265 encoding then that proves that not having HW3 is a big minus because it could be required for other updates and features!

So if you ordered FSD (which I did) then it's automatically free hardware upgrades for the life of the car?

No, its not "free hardware upgrades for the life of the car" (not sure where you read that, or inferred that from what you read. Its "An included upgrade to Hardware 3 when there are features available that specifically require Hardware 3".

Not "free hardware upgrades for life" but "included (pre payed with FSD) to Hardware 3 specifically... when they are ready to do it (so you will not be able to make an appointment for the upgrade now and get them to do it). It will be "later"

I see 4 people said yes but no one has provided proof or confirmed how they know...
I just cast my vote for NO, so now votes are even.
I think the YES believed what the DA's told them without checking their firmware version.
People were pretty sure that 16.2 was for HW2.5 and 16.3 was for HW3
I guess we won't know for sure until someone physically checks the hardware

Reactions: torontohm3wait
No, its not "free hardware upgrades for the life of the car" (not sure where you read that, or inferred that from what you read. Its "An included upgrade to Hardware 3 when there are features available that specifically require Hardware 3".

Not "free hardware upgrades for life" but "included (pre payed with FSD) to Hardware 3 specifically... when they are ready to do it (so you will not be able to make an appointment for the upgrade now and get them to do it). It will be "later"

Excellent. Thanks for the clarification. That’s what I expected as I thought it was too good to be true to be updated every time there’s new hardware.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Just picked up mine Thursday afternoon. Has 5/19 build stamp I was told it was built on or about 5/22. It has 7.1 So does that mean it is for sure HW3 and a DW2.5 built around this time would come with 12.x?