Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2.5 even after April 12th build date

Do you have HW3 build date after April 12?

• Yes

Votes: 44 50.6%
  • No

Votes: 43 49.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s pretty easy to pull the plastic cover down from the passenger footwell and inspect the computer. Just confirmed I have HW2.5, which matches what online chat told me. My build date is 5/25.
Are you sure you got the right part, can you post a picture? Build date on the door says what exactly?

This should be the MCU not the AP HW part.

Can you confirm the codec on your dashcam videos, H.264 or H.265?

Maybe, maybe not. But since as far as I know none of us work on the Tesla software development team I don’t think any of us can say for sure whether they will utilize any of the additional processing power of HW3 to develop new features for the car that fall outside the FSD category. I’d be willing to bet they will.
Don't remember if it was Musk and exactly what was said and how it was said but at the Autonomy event it was stated that all cars with FSD would receive the HW3 upgrade and anyone upgrading to FSD would also get it. Also the it was stated that current Autopilot was at 80% usage of 2.5 all all future features would require FSD. All of this is of the off cuff paraphrasing but you don't need to be on the development team to watch the event.;)

Also to update all Tesla 2.5HW cars (S,X & 3s) to HW3 would be prohibitively expensive. This is part of why FSD cost so much is to cover the upgraded hardware.

Don't remember if it was Musk and exactly what was said and how it was said but at the Autonomy event it was stated that all cars with FSD would receive the HW3 upgrade and anyone upgrading to FSD would also get it. Also the it was stated that current Autopilot was at 80% usage of 2.5 all all future features would require FSD. All of this is of the off cuff paraphrasing but you don't need to be on the development team to watch the event.;)

Also to update all Tesla 2.5HW cars (S,X & 3s) to HW3 would be prohibitively expensive. This is part of why FSD cost so much is to cover the upgraded hardware.

Yes, that’s essentially what was said. You just have to decide if you believe it. I believe Musk also said that cars produced as of 4/12 will have HW3 and now we have Tesla reps telling people who bought cars built in May that they have V2.5. I find that 90% of the stuff I hear from this company turns out to be false.

Reactions: torontohm3wait
The NOCC Oceanic cars being delivered in Europe _do_ tend to have HW3 installed (unless you think they're forging the part numbers and the differences in video codec on the TeslaCam videos).

Cars from the Morning Cornelia, the ship just before that one, that were being loaded around the cut-off date? These do tend to have HW2.5.

That seems to indicate that Elon Musk wasn't actually lying (90% of the stuff I read on this forum turn out to be false, of course, so...)

But that doesn't mean that if you get a car in May you are entitled to HW3. I can imagine that if they ran out of HW3 and they still had some HW2.5 lying around, they'd resort to use them, rather than halt production and wait for HW3 just because someone feels entitled to HW3 even when there is no software that actually currently requires its features.

And some people got cars from the NOCC Oceanic that were actually built before mine. I don't see the problem.

Last edited:
Most of the NOCC Oceanic cars are already delivered and there are no HW3.0 reports yet.
Not many of us go and have a peek under the glove box compartment either ;-).

And no, most of the NOCC Oceanic cars aren't actually delivered yet; it usually takes them a week to unload from Zeebrugge and ship the cars to the Delivery Centres, and then it usually takes a couple of days before the first delivery meetings are scheduled (at least here in Belgium). And that's for Belgium and the Netherlands, which happen to be closest to Zeebrugge.

Last week some people had their delivery meetings in Tilburg rescheduled because some of the cars hadn't arrived in time...

Right now, though, so many boats are arriving in Zeebrugge with Teslas in short order that soon there won't be a real way of knowing on which boat your car was -- a lot of delivery delays are also related to paperwork, registration, leasing, etc.

Last edited:
Yeah and it's been 2 weeks since it landed. Trust me most,not all,of have been assigned and delivered.

Well, it is a 1 minute process, or you can try the dashcam trick and see if the videos have h265 or h264 encoding.
H265 is hw3.0

Ok, I'm thinking of returning the car.
I don't like the idea of having an older cpu while cars built before and after mine have the newer one.
And don't say that if you buy FSD you will get a free upgrade.
I do not intend to buy FSD at the current prices!
And don't say that if I don't buy FSD, I don't need HW3.
Nobody knows what new features or updates may require HW3.
Autopilot may run better in the future with HW3.
Navigation may be improved.
Maybe they will add birds eye view that requires HW3.
Nobody knows and if I'm paying the same as everybody else, than I should get the same hardware.
I have a few more days to decide what to do.
Any opinions?

Ok, I'm thinking of returning the car.
I don't like the idea of having an older cpu while cars built before and after mine have the newer one.
And don't say that if you buy FSD you will get a free upgrade.
I do not intend to buy FSD at the current prices!
And don't say that if I don't buy FSD, I don't need HW3.
Nobody knows what new features or updates may require HW3.
Autopilot may run better in the future with HW3.
Navigation may be improved.
Maybe they will add birds eye view that requires HW3.
Nobody knows and if I'm paying the same as everybody else, than I should get the same hardware.
I have a few more days to decide what to do.
Any opinions?

Why are you asking for opinions when you said " And dont say XXXX"?

You already made your decision on what is important to you. You should return the car.

Reactions: tongw