Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2.5 even after April 12th build date

Do you have HW3 build date after April 12?

• Yes

Votes: 44 50.6%
  • No

Votes: 43 49.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...and a moment ago I jumped on Chat again, and the next agent gave me a build date of 5/2 - and confirmed HW3. The first agent above said 4/23 and that they couldn't see HW3 or not.

Clearly, you cannot trust the information from the Chat agents - although the second one seemed to be a little more on the ball.

Getting my SR+ model 3 delivered tomorrow. Chatted with a rep if it has HW3. VIN: 398XXX

Rep said it has HW2.5 with build date of June 03.
Haven’t ordered FSD.
Surprised they didn’t build with HW3 being such a new car ‍♂️

At least your build date aligns with the build date the second agent gave me, assuming the factory is still making 6-7k cars per week.

If the information they gave you is correct, they are either:

A) Using up old stock - particularly on SR/SR+ builds.
B) There is some problem with HW3 and they want to fix it before sending more into the wild.
C) They intentionally ran a limited number of HW3 vehicles to gather data and avoid scenario B.
D) Agent is wrong and you actually have HW3

I would think they had a supply or yield issue, and had to use HW2.5 to keep things running. So far my brand new HW2.5 vehicle is meeting all expectations, but we will see how it goes as the FSD software updates.

At least your build date aligns with the build date the second agent gave me, assuming the factory is still making 6-7k cars per week.

If the information they gave you is correct, they are either:

A) Using up old stock - particularly on SR/SR+ builds.
B) There is some problem with HW3 and they want to fix it before sending more into the wild.
C) They intentionally ran a limited number of HW3 vehicles to gather data and avoid scenario B.
D) Agent is wrong and you actually have HW3

...and a moment ago I jumped on Chat again, and the next agent gave me a build date of 5/2 - and confirmed HW3. The first agent above said 4/23 and that they couldn't see HW3 or not.

Clearly, you cannot trust the information from the Chat agents - although the second one seemed to be a little more on the ball.
I don't trust Tesla chat agents. One of the agents told me I have HW3.0 build on Apr 2019.
I took out the glove box bottom cover to check the part number for AP module and found I have HW2.5

Last edited:
From what I’ve read there is no benefit to HW3 if you didn’t purchase FSD.

If that’s correct why are people getting pissed they don’t have HW3?

I’m not sure.

I bought FSD and fully expect HW3 when my car arrives as I ordered after the announcement and was excited about the new technology.

It’s like buying a new $50k iPhone because of the computer chip and then finding out they just used an old one... but ya know... they’ll replace it later when they feel like it.

Reactions: torontohm3wait
I’m not sure.

I bought FSD and fully expect HW3 when my car arrives as I ordered after the announcement and was excited about the new technology.

It’s like buying a new $50k iPhone because of the computer chip and then finding out they just used an old one... but ya know... they’ll replace it later when they feel like it.
But if the old chip isn’t the limiting factor......... why does it matter?

I have been told via email have it in writing that they do not have HW3 chips atm and whenever they receive them I will get a call from the SC to have it upgraded. So the theory that they did not have enough may be correct. Again these are assumptions we have no one knows and yes we cannot trust what we are told by the reps.

Reactions: Mansley
Can you post you parts number? Or better yet a picture of the module?
The part number is ‘1098058-00-L’ that is hw2.5 according to Tesla EPC catalog.

Attachments

• 41E9650B-44BE-4A3B-9A06-F3F2BE2A89D9.jpeg
    41E9650B-44BE-4A3B-9A06-F3F2BE2A89D9.jpeg
    319.3 KB · Views: 91
  • E1DCA73D-A026-4925-A6EE-BEC98DC14AEC.jpeg
    E1DCA73D-A026-4925-A6EE-BEC98DC14AEC.jpeg
    521 KB · Views: 86
My delivery appointment is set for tomorrow morning for a P3D. My delivery agent was able to pull up a detailed configuration screen which states explicitely that my vehicle has HW3 (AP3). He confirmed the build date of May 6.

He showed me the entry on the Tesla system for my car "Drive Assist HW (59): TESLA_AP3"

Seems like a fairly easy way to check what you have without tearing everything apart if your agents will do the same.

My delivery appointment is set for tomorrow morning for a P3D. My delivery agent was able to pull up a detailed configuration screen which states explicitely that my vehicle has HW3 (AP3). He confirmed the build date of May 6.

He showed me the entry on the Tesla system for my car "Drive Assist HW (59): TESLA_AP3"

Seems like a fairly easy way to check what you have without tearing everything apart if your agents will do the same.

You might want to be careful. With the Model S and X, they used integers to count HW versions. So what we call HW2.5 on this forum is registered in the codes as AP3, and HW3 is AP4.

You might want to be careful. With the Model S and X, they used integers to count HW versions. So what we call HW2.5 on this forum is registered in the codes as AP3, and HW3 is AP4.

Yes, I was just typing the same thing. On Model 3 HW2.5 is "APH3" and HW3 is "APH4". That doesn't mean your advisor is wrong though. It's still very difficult to determine at this point.