Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2.5 even after April 12th build date

Do you have HW3 build date after April 12?

• Yes

Votes: 44 50.6%
  • No

Votes: 43 49.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I'm thinking of returning the car.
I don't like the idea of having an older cpu while cars built before and after mine have the newer one.
And don't say that if you buy FSD you will get a free upgrade.
I do not intend to buy FSD at the current prices!
And don't say that if I don't buy FSD, I don't need HW3.
Nobody knows what new features or updates may require HW3.
Autopilot may run better in the future with HW3.
Navigation may be improved.
Maybe they will add birds eye view that requires HW3.
Nobody knows and if I'm paying the same as everybody else, than I should get the same hardware.
I have a few more days to decide what to do.
Any opinions?
I agree the hardware part is upsetting. I have yet to drive my car for a longer time span to understand or tell if i should do the same. I found panel issues, a few spaces under the plastic and more paint issues. Again love driving it just want to ensure its in mint condition given how much we pay for it down here.

Its a tricky decision. Be amusing to see if some folks challenge Elon with a photo of evidence.

Yes, if its important and you want to play safe you should return the car if built after Elon HW3 date and only has 2.5. Plus if you plan to keep the car for more than several years. Especially true if you ordered it after the Elon HW date. Also need some way to guarantee that the replacement car will have HW3. Maybe they will use HW2.5 for reminder of this year for non FSD orders?

No if you are car is otherwise perfect and you might be concerned about getting a perfect car next time. Also might depend on driving style: if only drive locally and you are a good driver and like driving.

Perhaps toss a coin?

I agree the hardware part is upsetting. I have yet to drive my car for a longer time span to understand or tell if i should do the same. I found panel issues, a few spaces under the plastic and more paint issues. Again love driving it just want to ensure its in mint condition given how much we pay for it down here.
I like the car and will buy it again after this quarter's madness is done.
I noticed today that the middle glass roof was not aligned with the front.
When I went to look at the other side, I saw that side was aligned. That means the middle roof is not the same width as the front glass!
Quallity is not the same as Mercedes or even Japanese cars.
I can accept the trim and alignment problems because that's cosmetic and does not affect the operation of the vehicle but having inferior hardware is where I draw the line.
I will roll the dice and buy it later. If the price is higher, c'est la vie!

I
I like the car and will buy it again after this quarter's madness is done.
I noticed today that the middle glass roof was not aligned with the front.
When I went to look at the other side, I saw that side was aligned. That means the middle roof is not the same width as the front glass!
Quallity is not the same as Mercedes or even Japanese cars.
I can accept the trim and alignment problems because that's cosmetic and does not affect the operation of the vehicle but having inferior hardware is where I draw the line.
I will roll the dice and buy it later. If the price is higher, c'est la vie!

I see you are in Ontario and have ordered a SR+, check with Tesla if you can return the car, because I've read that if your car has received an incentive such as the 5K from the federal government, the 7 day return period is nullified. But I might be wrong as this program is brand new and it might have different terms for Tesla. Anyway worth checking into.

• Informative
Reactions: Kmartyn
Hello everyone

So i ordered March 8th
Reservation holder
SR+
RED/White interior
19" FSD
Built Date May 18 2019

I received a VIN have a DD for tomorrow. I do not have HW3. Many have suggested they do because of their build date that is incorrect. I would like to know if anyone has been specifically told or shown proof they have HW3.
This is how I checked my HW level -

I don't like the idea of having an older cpu while cars built before and after mine have the newer one.
And don't say that if I don't buy FSD, I don't need HW3.
Nobody knows and if I'm paying the same as everybody else, than I should get the same hardware.
I have a few more days to decide what to do.
Any opinions?

Because you took the federal incentive, the 7 day return does not seem to apply. Tesla would have already applied for the rebate, that you received.

Has anyone seen an article in the media about cars still being produced with V2.5 hardware? It seems like any time Tesla does anything Fred Lambert is writing up an article about it. I’m surprised that something this significant hasn’t made the media, unless I’ve missed it. I find the whole idea of Tesla still using V2.5 hardware at this point very odd.

then by all intents and purposes you don't need HW3 at all, and returning the car for something that has no effect on its functionality is irrational.

But hey, there's no law forcing you to be rational. Return it if you can and if you want to.

If you had no delivery issues other than the HW revision I think you're not only irrational but also doing yourself a disservice, since you never know another car like it delivered later might have more cosmetic defects, but that's just my private opinion.

Geez, I have HW2.5 and I have ordered FSD. I'm just a bit miffed that the car is going to have to be torn apart to install HW3, but I don't return a car just because I'm a bit miffed.

Reactions: tongw
Has anyone seen an article in the media about cars still being produced with V2.5 hardware? It seems like any time Tesla does anything Fred Lambert is writing up an article about it. I’m surprised that something this significant hasn’t made the media, unless I’ve missed it. I find the whole idea of Tesla still using V2.5 hardware at this point very odd.

IIRC only 3 people confirmed HW2.5 with May build dates, though many may not be checking or asking. I have asked about my yet undelivered (May 19th birthdate) vehicle by phone (said she could see that detail) and by email to my DA (no response). My delivery date is Friday. Fred would probably want something more official before publishing. These old computers could just be a small anomaly on a very small number of vehicles. Possibly some reworked cars that started production earlier, but failed a QA check and got reworked.

I pick up Friday, and will have my son (a mechanic) pop open the trim to check on the weekend, what is really installed. If it is HW2.5 I will definitely send pics with proof to Fred. I will also bring my formatted USB stick with me, to check the video codec be used.

I would encourage anybody with proof to send to to Electrek’s anonymous tip function on their web page. If it was deliberate on Tesla’s part, they should offer free upgrades, FSD or not, just to maintain goodwill IMO.

Reactions: tongw
then by all intents and purposes you don't need HW3 at all, and returning the car for something that has no effect on its functionality is irrational.

But hey, there's no law forcing you to be rational. Return it if you can and if you want to.

If you had no delivery issues other than the HW revision I think you're not only irrational but also doing yourself a disservice, since you never know another car like it delivered later might have more cosmetic defects, but that's just my private opinion.

Geez, I have HW2.5 and I have ordered FSD. I'm just a bit miffed that the car is going to have to be torn apart to install HW3, but I don't return a car just because I'm a bit miffed.
Did you miss the part where I said this?

Reactions: cadetsea
I had the delivery scheduled for this Friday, so I called the San Diego Delivery Center and asked if the M3 that was assigned has HW 3.0 or not. They said that unfortunately it has HW 2.5, although it was built on May 21, VIN in the 400,000 range. I ordered FSD, so I decided to ask for a new VIN...

I had the delivery scheduled for this Friday, so I called the San Diego Delivery Center and asked if the M3 that was assigned has HW 3.0 or not. They said that unfortunately it has HW 2.5, although it was built on May 21, VIN in the 400,000 range. I ordered FSD, so I decided to ask for a new VIN...

I think yours is the first confirmed US new delivery with HW2.5. Maybe this is part of the cost cutting measures? I don't see why Tesla would intentionally make more work for their mobile techs later, though...

It does seem odd, and it is also odd that they haven't fixed the API to return accurate HW# codes.

Though... that email about crazy attention to expenditures gives it a little plausibility. If someone found a crate of HW2.5 units and said "listen, we paid for every single one of these, do we really just throw them away now?" then I'm sure the cost-cutting answer would be to put them in vehicles.

So hard to know.

It does seem odd, and it is also odd that they haven't fixed the API to return accurate HW# codes.

Though... that email about crazy attention to expenditures gives it a little plausibility. If someone found a crate of HW2.5 units and said "listen, we paid for every single one of these, do we really just throw them away now?" then I'm sure the cost-cutting answer would be to put them in vehicles.

So hard to know.

It's definitely short-sighted to put HW2.5 into vehicles where FSD was pre-purchased, however. Might save a little today, but at tomorrow's expense.

Reactions: torontohm3wait
*If* that's a thing. I don’t think delivery centres are actually privy to the information necessary to determine HW version if the car is not physically there...and at my delivery centre only the service people knew where to look.

*If* that's a thing. I don’t think delivery centres are actually privy to the information necessary to determine HW version if the car is not physically there...and at my delivery centre only the service people knew where to look.

At the very least, I would say @torontohm3wait 's case is confirmed HW2.5 from this message: HW2.5 even after April 12th build date

I haven't heard of a single HW3 vehicle in the US getting 2019.16.2 firmware.