Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2.5 even after April 12th build date

Do you have HW3 build date after April 12?

• Yes

Votes: 44 50.6%
  • No

Votes: 43 49.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the very least, I would say @torontohm3wait 's case is confirmed HW2.5 from this message: HW2.5 even after April 12th build date

he "was told" it was HW2.5. That is not confirmation enough for me; I'd like to see the part number (1483112 and some others vs. 1462554) and the codecs of the video rather than "the delivery centre guys told me".

I've been told many things by Delivery and Internal Sales, including that they were 100% sure my car wasn't on the ship I named, only it was. What I was told about the manufacturing date made absolutely no sense either, unless they flew it by helicopter to catch up with the Morning Cornelia while it was sailing towards the Panama Canal. So you'll forgive me the skepticism.

Some of the methods that are reliable for seeing whether a model S and X have HW3 are defeated on a model 3, so it's not that hard to get it wrong while thinking you're getting it right.

Last edited:
he "was told" it was HW2.5. That is not confirmation enough for me; I'd like to see the part number (1483112 and some others vs. 1462554) and the codecs of the video rather than "the delivery centre guys told me".

I've been told many things by Delivery and Internal Sales, including that they were 100% sure my car wasn't on the ship I named, only it was. What I was told about the manufacturing date made absolutely no sense either, unless they flew it by helicopter to catch up with the Morning Cornelia while it was sailing towards the Panama Canal. So you'll forgive me the skepticism.

Skepticism is healthy on a forum with so much speculation, but in addition to being told his hardware was 2.5, he confirmed his firmware was 2019.16.2. I have only seen HW2.5 vehicles with that firmware, all the HW3 vehicles jumped from 2019.12.1.2 to 2019.16.3. So short of seeing the part number, that's as certain as we can be that it's actually HW2.5.

Quite -- but if we saw the part number we'd be sure, instead of guessing. Who knows exactly how Tesla fenced the cars getting 2019.16.2 and .3...here in Europe we can't really know. The cars from the NOCC Oceanic that I've asked about tended to have older firmware when they got off the boat (usu HW3 specific) and all jumped right to 2019.16.3.2 (as did the HW2.5 ones).

I've asked some Dutch people if they want to volunteer to look at the part numbers of their cars that were on the NOCC Oceanic (which is the boat right after the one of my car, which definitely still had HW2.5 cars).

Reactions: willow_hiller
I'm having a SR+, Black Ext, White Int, Aero, FSD delivered to Toronto on June 19th. Ordered on May 3rd.

Did anyone here purchase the FSD capability and NOT receive HW3 (build after April 12th)?

Taking 47 days for delivery. I initially blamed it on the white interior, but maybe it's the new chip as well.

Reactions: torontohm3wait
I'm having a SR+, Black Ext, White Int, Aero, FSD delivered to Toronto on June 19th. Ordered on May 3rd.

Did anyone here purchase the FSD capability and NOT receive HW3 (build after April 12th)?

Taking 47 days for delivery. I initially blamed it on the white interior, but maybe it's the new chip as well.

There are reports of FSD purchasers receiving HW2.5, however, I don't know if they have fully confirmed whether or not they have HW2.5 or HW3 per inspection of the MCU enclosure part #.

So if you ordered FSD (which I did) then it's automatically free hardware upgrades for the life of the car?

I wouldn't say free upgrades for the life of the car.

When HW3 computer is in stock and easy to come by then 2.5 to 3 upgrade will be treated like a warranty repair. Done by tesla at no cost to you.

But if HW 3.x or HW 4.x comes rolling along newer than the HW3 you got as a free upgrade, that doesn't mean you get every upgrade that ever comes out for the life of the car. Once you get on HW3 that'll be what your car will keep. Then whatever newer version comes down the road will be for cars that get sold after that comes out.

But yeah if you have 2.5 and you don't get the upgrade right away you'll get some form of HW3 computer as a free upgrade when they have some in stock and can give you one.

Reactions: Mansley
I got a call last night to pick up my blue/ white SR+ today, ahead of the Friday schedule. I have been told on the phone by one person I have HW3, and by another 2.5. So I will just need to find out when I get there. May 19th build date. Bringing a formatted USB stick to check for the H265 codec. I have FSD, so either way I will end up with HW3.
No DA assigned. Just need to ask for the next one available when I get to Lawrence Ave at 5:30 tonight.

Reactions: torontohm3wait
I got a call last night to pick up my blue/ white SR+ today, ahead of the Friday schedule. I have been told on the phone by one person I have HW3, and by another 2.5. So I will just need to find out when I get there. May 19th build date. Bringing a formatted USB stick to check for the H265 codec. I have FSD, so either way I will end up with HW3.
No DA assigned. Just need to ask for the next one available when I get to Lawrence Ave at 5:30 tonight.
Mine was same build date as yours. Make sure you check the top trim between the front and rear doors. Mine was sticking out. Also the weather strip above the rear door was bunched. Mobile service came and fixed it for me yesterday. At the Lawrence centre they didn't give me a demo of how the car works. Just told me to create the driver profile and then he left and it wasn't even busy at that time

• Informative
Reactions: tongw
This is a topic I've been following closely so now that I have my Model 3 I figured I'd post my findings too.

I have a Model 3 VIN# 310XXX. The delivery center performed an update before I arrived. It was firmware version 2019.16.3.2 when I picked it up.
HW vin and firmware.jpg

Door sticker shows May 2019 build date.
HW door sticker.jpg

Here's a picture of the housing under the glovebox. The sticker shows part # 1462554-00-G Rev01
HW parts number.JPG

TeslaCam footage is recorded in H.265
HW codec.jpg

This is my chat log with Tesla online chat support.
HW chat log bl.jpg

Since the purpose of this post is to help us differentiate between HW2.5 and HW3 ourselves, it's helpful if everyone reading this could post the following:

[Current firmware]:
[Last six of your VIN#]:
[Codec of your TeslaCam videos (H.264 or H.265)]:
[Parts # of the STICKER underneath your glovebox]:
[Location (US, EUR, ASIA)]:

If we can get everyone to post as much complete information as possible we can paint a clearer picture.

This is a topic I've been following closely so now that I have my Model 3 I figured I'd post my findings too.

I have a Model 3 VIN# 310XXX. The delivery center performed an update before I arrived. It was firmware version 2019.16.3.2 when I picked it up.
View attachment 415771

Door sticker shows May 2019 build date.
View attachment 415773

Here's a picture of the housing under the glovebox. The sticker shows part # 1462554-00-G Rev01
View attachment 415770

TeslaCam footage is recorded in H.265
View attachment 415768

This is my chat log with Tesla online chat support.
View attachment 415774

Since the purpose of this post is to help us differentiate between HW2.5 and HW3 ourselves, it's helpful if everyone reading this could post the following:

[Current firmware]:
[Last six of your VIN#]:
[Codec of your TeslaCam videos (H.264 or H.265)]:
[Parts # of the STICKER underneath your glovebox]:
[Location (US, EUR, ASIA)]:

If we can get everyone to post as much complete information as possible we can paint a clearer picture.
And don't forget to include if it was ordered with FSD

My delivery guy got in the car with me and gave me the full run through on everything. He was nice and very knowledgeable.

Unfortunately he reeked of BO! (Big guy with a heavy jacket on when it was 90+ outside).

I tried to listen, but all I could think about was the Seinfeld BO car episode!! Couldn't get him out of there fast enough.

He's going on and on about important and relevant things - which I'm hardly hearing - while I struggle to maintain a painfully neutral face and rush him the hell out of there.

Luckily the odor wasn't permanent. Hell of a way to christen a brand new car!

Mine was same build date as yours. Make sure you check the top trim between the front and rear doors. Mine was sticking out. Also the weather strip above the rear door was bunched. Mobile service came and fixed it for me yesterday. At the Lawrence centre they didn't give me a demo of how the car works. Just told me to create the driver profile and then he left and it wasn't even busy at that time
Thanks for the heads up. I had a good look, no issues there on my blue/white SR+.
I actually did not find anything, but they did. Seems I do have one minor scratch in the clear coat about 1/4 inch long where the drivers side door meets the trim, also a barely noticeable indent in the left rear pillar. You need the light to shine across it to see it. They will fix both. He said a person comes into their shop to fix the indent. But the small scratch goes out to a body shop for sand, and clear coat. Only significant downside is I think I need to wait to get my ceramic coating done.

I do have HW2.5. He said that is mostly what they are delivering in this batch. Free upgrade because I have FSD, but he said that will most likely not be this year. I did not notice any others taking delivery asking this, and I was there an hour in advance.

Came with 16.3.2 firmware, J1772 adapter, no Nema 14-50 ( and apparently none in stock). About 70% charge. They spent a lot of time with me. Over an hour. Car fully set up before I left, except for home Wi-Fi. Depends on the person I guess.

He said 36 deliveries today. The rush was first thing in the morning, but they do have nine this evening. The place did not feel hectic, like I was expecting.

I drove home in the rain and heavy traffic, but autopilot and the automatic wipers did really well. I found the rear mirror view smaller than I am used to. The sound was clear, but not as full as the car I tested.

Supposed to be sunny here tomorrow. I will have a closer look then.

All reports I have of NOCC Oceanic cars recently delivered at the moment have HW3 confirmed.

That was the first ship to Europe that was loaded after Elon Musk’s purported production switch to HW3 (the Morning Cornelia was loaded so close to that date that it would have been surprising to see HW3, and indeed, all reports including mine show HW2.5).

No SR+ yet, though...these arrive tomorrow in Zeebrugge on Grand Phoenix, so delivery will start in roughly 10 days. Other people are quoted SR+ delivery dates consistent with Grand Dahlia which is next.