Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or use your finger nails! :)

Wrt the actual retrofit procedure:

On S/X, replacing the Autopilot ECU shouldn't take very long. Perhaps half an hour or so, this will depend on the SC tech's experience, as well as the quality of the factory install. Back when AP2.0 was all the news, @kdday made an awesome post on how APE can be accessed. You basically have to remove the glovebox:
Inside the NVIDIA PX2 board on my HW2 AP2.0 Model S (with Pics!)

Also have to add some time for FW redeploy, paperwork and such.

On Model 3, replacing the computer is more involved... Like I said it's mounted to the firewall, and water cooled. Your SC would have to, at a minimum, remove the frunk bin (bucket), drain the coolant with special equipment and hoses, plug the coolant ports, loosen the nuts connecting the computer to the firewall, remove footwell trim, release harness clips and only then remove the computer from the inside.

Since the Model 3 has both Autopilot and MCU computer in the same sandwich assembly (they're both in the same encosure), M3 owners should also get a fresh MCU in the process :) (Honestly, though, I dunno if they've revised the MCU, so that's wild speculation on my part.)

Does the coolant loop not just terminate with a heat exchanger plate where it hits the computer? I was envisioning a closed system like a typical PC. Reapply thermal paste and you're done, no draining. Seems like an overly complicated design, but I've never looked at it before. Curious what your thoughts are.

Does the coolant loop not just terminate with a heat exchanger plate where it hits the computer?

That would make more sense to me.

From Elon: "This is a simply change that takes about half an hour to upgrade the computer. Anyone will be able to upgrade their car to Full Self-Driving capability with a simple service visit."

Removing coolant doesn't sound like a simple service visit in 30 mins. But maybe it isn't too bad.

Ice cold.jpg

I may be in the minority here, but here goes anyway...

I checked all the boxes when I ordered my Model 3, including FSD. I believe it was $3,000 back then. I'm a first day line waiter. Looking forward to getting the retrofit. I don't care one bit about: 1) When I get it, 2) Who gets it before me, 3) Whether anyone paid $0.05 less for the same thing, 4) Whether someone who paid $0.05 less gets an FSD feature turned on 7 minutes before I get it, 5) Whether my car ever drives itself at level 5 autonomy with my sleeping in the back seat on my way to Vegas, 6) Any and all possible combinations of 1-5 above and any additional complaints going forward.

Having said that, there will no doubt be 7,459 threads devoted to the inevitable first world problems arising from this rollout. I will religiously follow the hand wringing, teeth gnashing, back and forth accusations, associated Elon SEC tweets and all other accompanying detritus mostly for the smile it brings to my face because I simply don't care, and will appreciate HW3 whenever it arrives and whatever it adds to the most amazing car ever created.

Crazy huh?

RT

• I think today production switched from US to EU/Asia. It should switch back to the US around 10 May 2019 and US deliveries with HW3 should start around 17 May 2019. I think that's when we will start to see HW3 videos on Youtube in high numbers

I’ve been following model 3 VIN registrations and it appears less than 500 AWD models were registered yesterday. I ordered my AWD nearly two weeks ago and don’t even have an assigned VIN yet (there seem to be others waiting even longer). Are you saying that if we don’t get one of the batch that was just registered, those of us in the US won’t get our cars until sometime in mid-May?

Tesla should not put the hw3 in the standard and standard plus models AND keep it at 2.5. Chances are most will never buy anything other than AP. Could save them a few hundred per car.

Any saving would be wiped out by the cost of continuing to make small quantities of HW2.5 boards and to replace the boards in cars that would otherwise have had HW3.0 when their drivers elect to pay for the option later...

Makes zero sense to continue with HW2.5 once HW3.0 is available in volume.

I guess we both don't have the exact costs and buy in rate to make a proper conclusion. It was something to consider, I would believe the adoption rate of FSD on standard cars to be extremely low. Chipsets continue to be made at much lower costs as they age. Even if it avgs to 50 dollars a car at 200k model y and 3s per year is 10 million . There's a reason why German cars are junk, the engineers will sacrifice part life for a 10 cents savings.

I may be in the minority here, but here goes anyway...

I checked all the boxes when I ordered my Model 3, including FSD. I believe it was $3,000 back then. I'm a first day line waiter. Looking forward to getting the retrofit. I don't care one bit about: 1) When I get it, 2) Who gets it before me, 3) Whether anyone paid $0.05 less for the same thing, 4) Whether someone who paid $0.05 less gets an FSD feature turned on 7 minutes before I get it, 5) Whether my car ever drives itself at level 5 autonomy with my sleeping in the back seat on my way to Vegas, 6) Any and all possible combinations of 1-5 above and any additional complaints going forward.

Having said that, there will no doubt be 7,459 threads devoted to the inevitable first world problems arising from this rollout. I will religiously follow the hand wringing, teeth gnashing, back and forth accusations, associated Elon SEC tweets and all other accompanying detritus mostly for the smile it brings to my face because I simply don't care, and will appreciate HW3 whenever it arrives and whatever it adds to the most amazing car ever created.

Crazy huh?

RT

Right on bro

But that would be 150,000 vehicles capable of being retrofitted with the HW3 computer, right? My question was more asking how many vehicles are there with the FSD option purchased thus far. If that number is over 100,000 I’d be very surprised.

I know. That's what I was answering. AP2.0 production and FSD sales started in Q4 2016. I'm calculating 461,774 Tesla deliveries since then including this quarter. The numbers are as follows:

Deliveries from the beginning of Q4 2016 to the end of Q1 2019:
Model S: 131,690
Model X: 118,898
Model 3: 211,186
Total: 461,774

Based on my Model S/X/3 surveys (also known as delivery tracker spreadsheets), the blended take rate of AP and FSD for S/X/3 was as follows before the discounts between 28 Feb-20 Mar 2019:

Autopilot: 83.5%
Full Self-Driving: 19.5%

Therefore, without recent discounts, the numbers would look like this:
461,774 * 83.5%= 385,581 cars with Autopilot option
461,774 * 19.5%= 90,046 cars with FSD option

I increased the FSD estimate from 90K to 150K because lots more people must have purchased it when the price dropped to $2,000