Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which is nice for sentry mode, but the big question is if this matters for FSD or not. Is the camera failing to detect the green light or is the logic in the system failing to figure out what lane to assign it to?
Indeed.

I think upgraded cameras (HW4, 5 etc) benefit FSD mostly with regard to detecting distant objects (and estimating their velocity). If FSD can see farther, it theoretically is better equipped for UPL's, cross traffic and the like.

Which is nice for sentry mode, but the big question is if this matters for FSD or not. Is the camera failing to detect the green light or is the logic in the system failing to figure out what lane to assign it to?
Logic. Human drivers also often go on the green transition of the wrong light.
Recent video postings have shown the cameras (or at least dashcam output) are better at dealing with PWMed light sources (like digital signs).

Logic. Human drivers also often go on the green transition of the wrong light.
Recent video postings have shown the cameras (or at least dashcam output) are better at dealing with PWMed light sources (like digital signs).
They look better in the image, but a computer that sees in video might still get all the information it needs to read them after a few frames.

Wasn’t there a new NHTSA regulation that required front view cameras, or at least view for new cars in order to reduce or eliminate the risk of ppl driving over small children or objects DIRECTLY in front of the car? Or was that just for SUV and large Trucks?
I've never heard of a new front camera regulation. (The rear view camera became required in 2018.)

Why doesn't Tesla address this?
For some people depending on where they live this obstructed view rarely if ever comes up. But for others like myself this is a common problem in my area.
Are they going to use the bumper camera? If they do that leaves an awful lot of FSD cars with a pretty significant blind spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanCar and navguy12
Here are 2 photos.
HW4

1) Left B-Pillar Camera- Taken with the front of the car several feet into the crossing road. By leaning forward I can safely see but as you can see the B-Pillar camera is obstructed. Now this clearly is an edge case and the homeowner shouldn't have his bushes this close to the road but where I live this isn't uncommon. It's at the end of my street so I can go this direction and manually take the turn or go out the other end of my street where it's also an obstructed view.
2) Left Fender Camera- I pulled out past the center of the crossing road and since it's looking backward it's of no help on an obstructed view intersection.

3) I did not include the front "Wide" camera preview since it's extremely limited in how far left/right the camera sees.

I am at a loss why more people don't complain about this. I suspect because where they drive this obstructed view is extremely rare. For example I spent a week driving FSD in Houston, Texas and I never encountered any intersection I considered obstructed. In my neighborhood 3 intersections within 200 meters of my house are too dangerous for FSD to handle.

Attachments

• Left Fender Camera.jpg
    Left Fender Camera.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Left Pillar Camera.jpg
    Left Pillar Camera.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Reactions: DanCar
How would a 5 star Uber driver handle the situation? Angle the car slightly different? Not drive there?
The only safe way to drive this intersection is to creep out and lean way way forward to see. That is just enough to make a safe turn decision but since the B-Pillar camera is fixed you cannot let FSD make the decision so I have to take over. The best decision is just take a different route. The problem for me is both ends of my street are obstructed. The old road layout in New England and Massachusetts has some unique intersections and lots of obstructed view intersections. One the cold weather comes it's' not so bad once the leaves fall. But some intersections are obstructed by evergreens which always obstruct your view. And of course high snow banks just complicate matters.

There are lots of other problems caused by the B-Pillar location when the view is blocked by other cars, trucks or buildings. Just think how many times you rely on leaning way forward to improve your visibility. FSD cannot do that.

The real question is why Tesla doesn't address this with cameras closer to the front? V12 does not solve this.