Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’ve just been hacked...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sysalo

Apr 27, 2020
UK
I noticed that my iPhone Tesla app was logged out and wanted me to sign in. My password was rejected and I had to reset it to get back in. Oddly, the “touch to login” ability was now off. I can’t figure that part out.

The app no longer displayed the “available options” (I recently bought FSD, but had no intention of paying to increase the car’s performance).

Checking the car, I now have “Sport” mode.

Checking my credit card registered with Tesla I don’t see a charge (yet?)

I’ve complained to Tesla, of course, asking them to remove the option.

Occasionally you have to sign back to the Tesla application in on your phone. Its a bit weird, but it does mean I have my Tesla password memorized.

However, I don't see the evidence here that you've been hacked. is there more to this story?

BTW: Even for people that aren't very good about having unique passwords on their accounts, the Tesla account should be right up there with your bank when comes to ensuring it has a unique password.

Almost the same thing happened to me this afternoon. I opened my app and it actually told me that my car (it actually used the name of the car) was no longer in my account and then logged out of the app. In order to log back in I had to reset my password and when I did my car was there.

I've got a MR3 so no performance upgrade or sport mode for me, but the autopilot and fsd options are still there for purchase. I unfortunately didnt get those for free.

First post, eh?

Things that trigger an expiration of FaceID/TouchID:

1. You change your password.
2. The time window expires (it appears to be 30 days).

This expires the token that the app uses to authenticate. The app doesn't use a password constantly to authenticate. It gets a token, and the token handles authentication until it expires (time window) or is invalidated (password change).

What’s HW 3.0?
I picked up my Tesla Model 3 in early September 2018 and I had the FSD option. Tesla released a newer computer called HW 3 or HW 3.0, the older one was version 2.5 or HW 2.5. It's the full self driving upgrade. So why care about this after having the upgrade? Well for some reason folks older 2.5 computers are showing up on ebay with their wifi passwords and Tesla credentials intact. So I changed all of that stuff to be safe.

Yes, it does demand you re-enter the password from time to time - I used to think it was coincident with the App being updated. But no, not as simple as that. Seems random.... maybe when an alien spacecraft flies overhead cuz they're pissed about one of us sending a car into space for no real reason.

• Funny
Reactions: RayK
Occasionally you have to sign back to the Tesla application in on your phone. Its a bit weird, but it does mean I have my Tesla password memorized.

However, I don't see the evidence here that you've been hacked. is there more to this story?

BTW: Even for people that aren't very good about having unique passwords on their accounts, the Tesla account should be right up there with your bank when comes to ensuring it has a unique password.
I noticed I was being logged out during quarantine because I wasn't accessing the app or using the vehicle frequently, like weeks at a time. There must be a timeout period where if you don't use the app or the vehicle, it logs you out.