Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I bought a 6 digit car...not a video game.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the games started I'd hoped they were using silly distractions to train new developers how to make more important things like a usable Media app and Carplay or Android auto integration, etc. Instead we just get more games, farts, and more games again. Nothing useful or even belonging on a car. I'm starting to think they hired these developers to do what they're doing and nothing more. Old problems remain, new problems keep getting introduced, nothing is getting improved by games and distractions.

Again, this is only true if you completely disregard everything we know about employee productivity, morale, and the expense of turnover.
So you mean if I'm the average consumer not tasked with those concerns? Check.

I don't know nor do I care about those things. Not my job. I'm a consumer who expects me vehicle to work as promised and if it doesn't I want it fixed. If you tell me that they company is turning a profit and working on farting apps when I and many other have persistent issues all I care about is that some of those resources get diverted into fixing known persistent issues. Period. I don't care if Patty in Accounting is having a case of the Moondays or if Ted in Programming is actively seeking another job.

I don't care if Patty in Accounting is having a case of the Moondays or if Ted in Programming is actively seeking another job.

Point being, if you want these issues actually fixed and the company to maintain a stable workforce that can manage a complex software environment sustainably over time, you should care.

You're basically dictating what the solution to the problem is and how you expect the company to take care of it from an external position of ignorance.

Point being, if you want these issues actually fixed and the company to maintain a stable workforce that can manage a complex software environment sustainably over time, you should care.

You're basically dictating what the solution to the problem is and how you expect the company to take care of it from an external position of ignorance.
No, I'm just not getting in the weeds for purposes of this conversation.

They're cutting corners on customer service and software programming to turn a quarterly profit ahead of schedule. This is apparent because they're doing so at a rate large enough to create massive problems in these two categories. Why wouldn't I, as a paying consumer, expect them to dedicate more resources to address those either from increased investment in employees, redirection of existing resources or both? Isn't that a logical solution to the problem w/o having to get into details?

Reactions: Droschke and GreenT
It amazes me how many grown, ostensibly successful and intelligent humans still bitch about this like it’s an either-or.

Study after study shows allowing developers to spend a little time on creative or “fun” stuff INCREASES productivity and job satisfaction.

So, seriously. This argument is old and tired. Move on. A German brand might be more to your liking. Those cats are serious AF. No fun allowed.

I can buy that argument -- sort of, and reluctantly, for the Easter eggs. they mostly seem to be small bits of software, so I can imagine they might have been done "on the side" by someone whose main job is something else.

But i do not buy that argument for the video games. They are clearly much bigger pieces of code. Developing and integrating those was not somebody's side task to relax and have fun for just a little while, something to blow off steam. I suspect they represent a substantial cost to Tesla, either in labor or in purchased services or licenses, or all of the above. Tesla is losing money, hand over fist. With limited resources, I would still rather have them spending their money and engineering talent on fixing stuff like the audio system that people have complained about for years and never seems to get fixed, or any number of other things that owners would want -- not on video games.

When the games started I'd hoped they were using silly distractions to train new developers how to make more important things like a usable Media app and Carplay or Android auto integration, etc. Instead we just get more games, farts, and more games again. Nothing useful or even belonging on a car. I'm starting to think they hired these developers to do what they're doing and nothing more. Old problems remain, new problems keep getting introduced, nothing is getting improved by games and distractions.

How do we know that they are not working on updates? Shouldn't we expect Version 10 at some point in Q4 this year?

It seems that every other recent update has to do with some enhancement to games or other entertainment distractions.

I'd really like Tesla to prioritize updates to vehicle operability...better navigation, autopilot, internet browser, or user interface (how about a trunk release button on the main menu, a favorite phone numbers list, or better stereo usability and configurability?).

Great post... My last 2 updates were scratchpad changes... They are wasting time and money and even bandwidth on stuff I don't care about. When I get an update I get excited that maybe finally I will get advanced summon or something useful and then get disappointed by meaningless updates.

How do we know that they are not working on updates? Shouldn't we expect Version 10 at some point in Q4 this year?
Because many of the problems have extended out over years now and several updates with no fix in sight. This is why I used the term "persistent" several times because it's an important word in this conversation. It's not like a bug just surfaced with the latest update and is already being fixed in the upcoming update. (But even if it was a small bug that just presented in the latest update that just means more man hours should have been applied to testing and debugging prior to release rather than making us the test mules.) This is stuff that they can't seem to get right over several updates and yet waste man hours on coding and testing fart apps and video games that do NOTHING to fix the actual problems people are having.

Stop diverting resources to BS when the meat and potatoes of what you're selling requires attention Tesla!

Great post... My last 2 updates were scratchpad changes... They are wasting time and money and even bandwidth on stuff I don't care about. When I get an update I get excited that maybe finally I will get advanced summon or something useful and then get disappointed by meaningless updates.
Not to mention hardware resources being taken which are precious resources especially if you're running with an older MCU1 that has VERY limited hardware resources that are slowly being soaked up with senseless BS that none of us even use. This isn't going to suddenly get better when they start introducing even more games and idiotic things that have no bearing on the actual functionality of our cars. They need to focus on cleaning up the firmware that already exists to streamline and correct any and all issues that are currently present. Do that and then I won't have a single negative thing to say about all this frivolous stuff because the core functions all work flawlessly.

Because many of the problems have extended out over years now and several updates with no fix in sight. This is why I used the term "persistent" several times because it's an important word in this conversation. It's not like a bug just surfaced with the latest update and is already being fixed in the upcoming update. (But even if it was a small bug that just presented in the latest update that just means more man hours should have been applied to testing and debugging prior to release rather than making us the test mules.) This is stuff that they can't seem to get right over several updates and yet waste man hours on coding and testing fart apps and video games that do NOTHING to fix the actual problems people are having.

Stop diverting resources to BS when the meat and potatoes of what you're selling requires attention Tesla!

I agree they should prioritize bugs over games, but my MCU1 seems to be running fine. What problems are you having specifically?

• Disagree
Reactions: Droschke
I agree they should prioritize bugs over games, but my MCU1 seems to be running fine. What problems are you having specifically?
The browser is basically unusable. I nearly never use the thing as I've been conditioned to never use it due to it never working. Early on, when I was demoing the car for someone who had never been in one, I would say something like "it even has a web browser built in" and I'd press the browser option only to have it sit waiting to load making both the car and myself look like a jackass. Now, I just bypass that "feature" when showing it to someone new because I know it simply doesn't work and is a terrible thing to showcase to someone who is experiencing the car for the first time.

Regularly my text will go to gibberish across all menu screens and the only "fix" is to reboot the thing.

Regularly my backup camera will split itself across the middle with the lower part being on top and the top part being on the bottom. Again, a reboot is required to repair.

I'm now finding out that my MCU has a flash card that is constantly being written to via system logs that have absolutely nothing to do with the car once it was completed and is now only serving to act as a ticking time bomb that will someday render my entire MCU inoperable requiring a VERY expensive replacement to rectify.

There's more but any one of those would be a better use of Tesla resources than farts and video games. It's offensive the amount of persistent issues these cars have and yet I keep installing updates with worthless crap that keeps soaking up Tesla's resources and my car's resources.

Thanks Tesla!

It amazes me how many grown, ostensibly successful and intelligent humans still bitch about this like it’s an either-or.

Study after study shows allowing developers to spend a little time on creative or “fun” stuff INCREASES productivity and job satisfaction.

So, seriously. This argument is old and tired. Move on. A German brand might be more to your liking. Those cats are serious AF. No fun allowed.
"fun stuff" for every serious developer I've ever met or worked with meant trying out some radically different way to do something very technical. Such people generally have very little, if any, interest in games or fart applications.

Regularly my backup camera will split itself across the middle with the lower part being on top and the top part being on the bottom. Again, a reboot is required to repair.

What year did the video corruption issues start? Was that fall of last year? It's one of the things I was hoping the game developers were brought in to fix, with games being their training and acclimation to Tesla's OS. But here we are a year later, the OS itself is still fuctionally corrupt but we still have many more polished games to come.

Tesla's priorities are completely wrong.

This is why i tell all my friends when they ask me how I like my car?

I absolutely love the car, but i detest the company with a passion.
They have very loose priorities, and a book full of excuses to side train people.

Games? who has time to play games.
Honestly the last place i want to be is in my car after sitting in traffic on the commute.

Fart Machine? Yeah im really going to use that when im driving coworkers, or business partners.
Lets see if you can afford a Model S, your partners / coworkers obviously wont find a farting machine comical.

Got my update last night, jumped in the car this morning with a light rain, and .... remembered how crappy the auto-wipers are.

Enhanced AutoSketchPad 2.0 may be great for some people and generates tweets, but someone needs to discuss priorities with the Tesla SW dev team.... it's been nearly 3-years and the auto-wipers on AP2 cars still don't work half the time.

it's been nearly 3-years and the auto-wipers on AP2 cars still don't work half the time.
They'll never work like everyone else's auto wipers. They implemented a method of rain sensing that I think was never proven in the real world before roll out, now they can't get it to work 100% so it stays in beta status forever. All to save a few bucks on a sensor, there is a reason every other car maker uses a proven way to perform this function rather than some crazy software processing of rain.

FWIW, I have mine disabled because it just doesn't work as advertised. Either they are too slow or they go full speed for 10 seconds when there is little rain, it's kind of embarrassing if someone is in the car.