Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I continue to be amazed at the hatred for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my Tesla Y because I love the Tech and the vehicle. Period. In our culture today, there are trolls that exist to hate on everything. (Including this forum.) It’s considered a sport in social media circles. Post a pic of a box of kittens and someone will post something negative and demeaning. Talk is talk but when it crosses the line into action, it becomes a problem. Icing, rolling coal, etc, can have negative consequences. I have no ideal why some people are so hateful but it is what it is.

I bought my Tesla Y because I love the Tech and the vehicle. Period. In our culture today, there are trolls that exist to hate on everything. (Including this forum.) It’s considered a sport in social media circles. Post a pic of a box of kittens and someone will post something negative and demeaning. Talk is talk but when it crosses the line into action, it becomes a problem. Icing, rolling coal, etc, can have negative consequences. I have no ideal why some people are so hateful but it is what it is.
WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE KITTENS, DO YOU HATE DOGS OR SOMETHING?!

I think government mandates have a lot to do with it. 30 years ago, I started to see lots of people with cell phones and I ultimately decided to try one. I've since given up my landline and haven't given it another thought since. If however, the government had told me that they were going to restrict my choices to ONLY cell phones, then I would be sure to resent it and might even start trash talking them. I'm sure that people's conversion to cell phones would have gone much slower if mandated by government. And cars are a much more expensive and emotional purchase than a cell phone so it's no surprise to see some of the reaction to EV's. Governments do very few things well, and telling people how to live their lives isn't one of them. (Some governments don't do anything well but I'll save that post for another forum).

I honestly think there would be more genuine interest in EV's if we had just let people discover them on their own. It might take a bit longer for it to catch on but there wouldn't be the polarization we see today. And by artificially forcing a conversion, we're just giving more ammunition to those people who want to say that EV's aren't ready for prime time. If governments want to be helpful, they should focus on charging infrastructure and grid updates. I love my Model S but think that the free market and human nature should drive adoption.
I don’t care for the mandates either and I agree with your sentiment but changing away from oil would be fought hard no matter what. Far more people are going to be affected by the EV change than the cell phone change.

WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE KITTENS, DO YOU HATE DOGS OR SOMETHING?!
IMG_4182.jpeg

Reactions: blodg1
Let’s be honest....there is hatred for electric vehicles and there is hatred for Tesla...I know of many people who can tolerate an electric car if it’s from their favorite manufacturer...Taycan springs to mind. But Elon is a polarizing figure, and is often his own worst enemy

Reactions: RSpanner
Let’s be honest....there is hatred for electric vehicles and there is hatred for Tesla...I know of many people who can tolerate an electric car if it’s from their favorite manufacturer...Taycan springs to mind. But Elon is a polarizing figure, and is often his own worst enemy
I agree, but dislike for some of Elon's antics tends to bleed over into suspicion of EV technology more generally, given the central role that Tesla has played in bringing this technology forward. And given this central role for Tesla - at least in North America and Europe - anti-Elon sentiment may really hold back the EV project.

I think that Elon is a talented and energetic guy who can be given a lot of credit, but what Tesla has achieved is due to way more than just him. I am against excessive CEO worship that seems to affect the technology and business worlds. There is a significant corps of engineers, software experts, designers and others who have done a lot to make the technological advancement of EVs a reality and to bring it practically into production. No one person is indispensable. If Elon cannot rein in some of his behaviours, I would be in favour of a new CEO at Tesla.

Why are they hateful? Because we live in a society that has muted consequences. We need to normalize not speaking to each other in a way online that we are not prepared to speak in person, and not to say words or make gestures from behind laminated glass that we are not willing to have in the open face to face. Then we can sort this decline in integrity. Part of this is why so many ex cons are so polite.

I agree, but dislike for some of Elon's antics tends to bleed over into suspicion of EV technology more generally, given the central role that Tesla has played in bringing this technology forward. And given this central role for Tesla - at least in North America and Europe - anti-Elon sentiment may really hold back the EV project.

I think that Elon is a talented and energetic guy who can be given a lot of credit, but what Tesla has achieved is due to way more than just him. I am against excessive CEO worship that seems to affect the technology and business worlds. There is a significant corps of engineers, software experts, designers and others who have done a lot to make the technological advancement of EVs a reality and to bring it practically into production. No one person is indispensable. If Elon cannot rein in some of his behaviours, I would be in favour of a new CEO at Tesla.
Elon is unconventional in that he will "get things done" and he is not squeamish about where his talent comes from. The man is an excellent talent scout and obviously is intelligent, but Elon didn't "make" Tesla. He sought and bought Tesla and its talent. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Elon is unconventional in that he will "get things done" and he is not squeamish about where his talent comes from. The man is an excellent talent scout and obviously is intelligent, but Elon didn't "make" Tesla. He sought and bought Tesla and its talent. Nothing wrong with that at all.
I don't think he went to the government and filed paperwork himself, but I'd argue he "made" Tesla by shaping the company and culture as CEO for the past 15 years.

I don't think he went to the government and filed paperwork himself, but I'd argue he "made" Tesla by shaping the company and culture as CEO for the past 15 years.
It's one thing to be a CEO in a startup running fast and breaking rules. It's another thing to be a CEO in a more established mature company where you are at the top and the government might rein you in to maintain competition.

Many CEOs do not know how to handle that transition. Elon appears to be showing that. I applied all the other employees but I think its time for him to move on.

Oh, for sure. Im just saying he invented nothing. He bought it and then hired development. He squeezed out the original talent and took the company over and shaped its culture to suit himself.

Oh, for sure. Im just saying he invented nothing. He bought it and then hired development. He squeezed out the original talent and took the company over and shaped its culture to suit himself.
But his intent was to have an electric car company....either starting one or buying an ongoing concern....the original Tesla company would unlikely have the global impact that it has without Elon...on the other hand, a new startup by Elon would probably have achieved the same thing, but perhaps with a delayed timeline

Reactions: DblOSmith
Where I live Teslas are still uncommon. I still get people deliberately blowing exhaust smoke in front of me, or revving their engine in neutral as they overtake me. It's usually one of those lifted 4WDs with mud tyres, maxtrax on the roof, etc. Not sure what they're trying to prove because my other car is an old V8 which drinks fuel. If they think that a bit of exhaust noise will upset me then they couldn't be more wrong.

This idea that Tesla drivers are tree huggers is just stupid. I bought the car because it's fast and it's a good car. The environment was not a factor in my decision.

Where I live Teslas are still uncommon. I still get people deliberately blowing exhaust smoke in front of me, or revving their engine in neutral as they overtake me. It's usually one of those lifted 4WDs with mud tyres, maxtrax on the roof, etc. Not sure what they're trying to prove because my other car is an old V8 which drinks fuel. If they think that a bit of exhaust noise will upset me then they couldn't be more wrong.

This idea that Tesla drivers are tree huggers is just stupid. I bought the car because it's fast and it's a good car. The environment was not a factor in my decision.
I am an old tree hugger and I care about the environment. We could fight about that here and keep itoff the road....? Ha, ha,...Naw, Enjoy your car...you made the right choice. I get those same lifted 4x4's here in Oregon...blowing smoke..sometimes, but usually following about a foot behind the car and then pulling around and speeding off. I laugh at the amount of fuel and cost...

They think you are a smug lefty a-hole that believes he is saving the planet with his EV and oil is evil.

Last edited:
Reactions: sjkjs

Can you even hear it? Ive run cars that are pretty loud (modded 5.0, Panamera 2.9 turbo, etc) and the only one I really heard was a audi r8 with exhaust. EVs are quiet.