Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

QQ: 2023 EAP+LA. Still have to confirm traffic lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been on FSD beta for a couple years now but am considering opting out because the erratic lane shifting makes it unusable for me unless I am travelling on a single lane road. I have a couple questions, though. The reason I have not switch back sooner is I really like two things that came with FSD: 1) No need to confirm traffic lights and 2) can set the speed more than 5mph above speed limit. Are these still limitations of standard EAP?

Been on FSD beta for a couple years now but am considering opting out because the erratic lane shifting makes it unusable for me unless I am travelling on a single lane road. I have a couple questions, though. The reason I have not switch back sooner is I really like two things that came with FSD: 1) No need to confirm traffic lights and 2) can set the speed more than 5mph above speed limit. Are these still limitations of standard EAP?
EAP doesn’t stop at traffic lights, but standard (non-beta) FSD does, and I believe the restriction is still there. EAP and standard FSD won’t go more than 5mph over the speed limit on secondary roads. You won’t be able to use NoA on secondary roads without the beta, so you could avoid the erratic lane changes by using FSD Beta without navigation.

Reactions: TjckTock
Thanks. I really appreciate the detailed reply. Argh! - I am still on the fence. Can live without the traffic light detection since I usually drop out of FSD coming up to one anyway to avoid waiting until the last second to start slowing but that 5mph limitation is really tough. Don't want to be "that guy" backing everyone up on the road.

Anyone know if I will have to go through the whole safety check again to get back in if I decide the 5mph thing is too oppressive?

Anyone know if I will have to go through the whole safety check again to get back in if I decide the 5mph thing is too oppressive?
No, but given what I said earlier, what are you gaining by getting out the FSD Beta program, other than access to newer builds? Standard FSD doesn't do anything better than FSD Beta. If you paid for EAP and are subscribing to FSD, then I can see dropping FSD, but if not, I don't think you'll gain much by dropping out.

Isn't there a separate switch for Traffic Light/Stop Sign in the Autopilot settings? Can you enable FSDb without traffic light control? Or is that for non-beta FSD?

Also you could use TACC to set the speed you want but you lose everything FSD does for you.

Isn't there a separate switch for Traffic Light/Stop Sign in the Autopilot settings? Can you enable FSDb without traffic light control? Or is that for non-beta FSD?

Also you could use TACC to set the speed you want but you lose everything FSD does for you.
There are no settings in FSDb for traffic light control. By it's nature, FSDb always reacts to traffic lights (well, almost always!).

No, but given what I said earlier, what are you gaining by getting out the FSD Beta program, other than access to newer builds? Standard FSD doesn't do anything better than FSD Beta. If you paid for EAP and are subscribing to FSD, then I can see dropping FSD, but if not, I don't think you'll gain much by dropping out.
Unfortunately, I paid in full ($10k) for FSD so yeah, kinda sucks not getting anything back for that, but in the current state, I think I would prefer to stick with TACC+LA until they get it sorted. Highway is fine with the beta since you can use LA there so I guess I am dropping FSBb just so I can get LA back for surface streets.

I got into the car fully planning on opting out and noticed I had an update pending. So I figured I would give it one more try. One thing that looks like it might, at least, help is the following line from the release notes:
"Tesla has introduced a new 'Minimal Lane Changes' option. This option will also reduce the number of lane changes. Tesla says Minimal Lane Changes will do the following: When enabled, Full Self-Driving (Beta) will limit changes only to follow the navigation route or when required for safety. This option gets reset when the car is parked at the end of a drive."
A bit annoying that it gets reset after every drive, but re-enabling minimal lane changes at the start of each drive is a small price to pay to get the other benefits of FSD. So I guess I'll stick it out a little longer. Updating tonight.

Just to summarize if anyone has the same question and comes across this. As of update 11.3.2/2022.45.11 yes, with auto-steer beta you do still have to confirm green traffic lights and you are limited to 5mph above posted limits. However, it is easy to switch between fsd beta and autosteer on this new single-stack release which is nice. Can choose before any drive which mode you want easily. Erratic lane changing is still an issue - even with the minimize lane shifting option enabled so you have to choose between that or the 5mph limit. Very disappointing. Ford Blue cruise is hands-down superior to auto steer beta. No 5mph limit and is hands free on the freeway. It's not FSD but it's something that is useful now. Not just a promise of someday being awesome (a promise that has gotten very tired). If Tesla would just let us confirm lane changes I would use FSB beta and probably be happy (and they would get great feedback for their machine learning). OK. Starting to become a rant so I will stop here.

That's an interesting point. I never thought about how you can't have standard Autopilot / Autosteer / adaptive cruise + lane centering without having to confirm green traffic lights if you purchase FSD. Once you purchase FSD, you either have to use FSD beta or confirm green traffic lights if you want lane centering.

I have only purchased Enhanced Autopilot, and just subscribe to FSD for $99 / month when I want to try FSD beta, and when I'm not subscribed, I don't have to confirm green traffic lights.

In case you didn't know, that's because EAP doesn't stop for traffic lights or stop signs, so there's nothing to confirm.

Yeah, I'm aware that it's an FSD feature. I was just pointing out that there's no way to disable that (annoying) feature if you purchase FSD outright and want to use lane centering without FSD beta. When I first subscribed to FSD and was waiting to get FSD beta, I absolutely hated having to confirm green lights... it completely negated any enjoyment I got from the car automatically stopping at stop signs and red lights. I would much rather have to manually stop at red lights than have to manually confirm green lights. Where I live, I would say lights are green 75% of the time I'm approaching, so I was experiencing the annoyance of green light confirmations far more than I was experiencing the benefit of automatically stopping at red lights.

Last edited:
Reactions: TjckTock
Yeah, I'm aware that it's an FSD feature. I was just pointing out that there's no way to disable that (annoying) feature if you purchase FSD outright and want to use lane centering without FSD beta. When I first subscribed to FSD and was waiting to get FSD beta, I absolutely hated having to confirm green lights... it completely negated any enjoyment I got from the car automatically stopping at stop signs and red lights. I would much rather have to manually stop at red lights than have to manually confirm green lights. Where I live, I would say lights are green 75% of the time I'm approaching, so I was experiencing the annoyance of green light confirmations far more than I was experiencing the benefit of automatically stopping at red lights.
Non-Beta FSD isn’t designed to be used on city streets, so it’s not surprising that it isn’t better at handling traffic lights. You must not get a lot of traffic where you drive, because you don’t have to confirm green lights if there’s a car in front of you.

Non-Beta FSD isn’t designed to be used on city streets, so it’s not surprising that it isn’t better at handling traffic lights. You must not get a lot of traffic where you drive, because you don’t have to confirm green lights if there’s a car in front of you.
It's designed to handle traffic lights and stop signs on highways? :confused:

Correct, I don't have a huge amount of traffic where I live. But by the same token, even standard Autopilot will stop for red lights if there's traffic (a car in front of you stopping).