Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I remember when...my 3 would open without me having to open the app on my iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

smartypnz

Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2013
Monterey Peninsula
.... I used to walk out to my M3, flip the door handle - door would disengage - get in, put foot on brake, select forward/reverse and then I was off to my destination.

But - for over two months - 95% of the time, no door handle response!! I have to pull out my iPhone, select my wife's MS, wait for it to connect, then go back to select my M3 (wait for it to connect), just to get the door handle to respond.

Hopefully this is unique to those of us with 2 Tesla's on the App. I would hate to imagine what a single Tesla on the App needs to get into the car.

.... I used to walk out to my M3, flip the door handle - door would disengage - get in, put foot on brake, select forward/reverse and then I was off to my destination.

But - for over two months - 95% of the time, no door handle response!! I have to pull out my iPhone, select my wife's MS, wait for it to connect, then go back to select my M3 (wait for it to connect), just to get the door handle to respond.

Hopefully this is unique to those of us with 2 Tesla's on the App. I would hate to imagine what a single Tesla on the App needs to get into the car.

Where do you keep your phone? I keep mine in my back pocket and my doors stopped opening when I walk up to them (although the trunks still work). So now while opening my door I have to rotate my body about 90deg toward the vehicle (bringing my phone closer to the door) and it will open.

It sounds like proximity is not your issue but this is what worked for me.

Check your location privacy settings on your phone and make sure the app has access to your location at all times. For good measure guy can delete the key association and the App and reinstall both. If this doesn’t resolve the issue open a ticket with support.

There is no reason to give the app access to your location at all times. Mine is set to "while using" and works perfectly well.

As a thought, might have you disabled the App from running in the background?

On my Samsung it is Settings->Apps->Tesla->Battery->"Allow background activity" and the "Optimize battery usage"

I don't have my car yet, but following this thread. Maybe the phone decided to put the App to sleep (my phone sometimes asks me if it can optimize certain apps to save battery power).

There is no reason to give the app access to your location at all times. Mine is set to "while using" and works perfectly well.

Whereas if people don't want to "use" the app, which is defined as having it open and active, and want to just be able to walk up to their car with the phone in their pocket, they might want to have that set. But hey, I also see no reason not to give the app access to my location at all times.I only block that for apps I don't trust.

I'm a fan of the 2 step verification (PIN to drive), so I just have gotten in the habit of using the card key (wallet has an outside quick access pocket) to unlock the car and I don't have to bother placing the card on the center console. Just touch the brake, enter PIN and go.

Reactions: Itsuo-DC

We have two M3 and this happens all the time, it's quite frustrating. Strangely, the other day I went to get in wife's after leaving it for few mins. It let me open the door and get in but insisted on using Key Card, until I opened my phone and let it connect via app. Why let me into car but not start it ?

Reactions: Tron 3

Mine was doing the same thing. Had to start up the app before I could open the door.
For me, the fix was to sign out of the iPhone app, and sign back in.
Now the doors unlock on approach just like they used to.
No guarantee it will work for you, but worth a try if you haven't already.

Sometimes the car or the phone appears to be deeply asleep. I find if I hold the door handle out a few seconds it (or they) wake up and start talking and unlock. Most of the time it just works, but sometimes I look inside and the screen is lit up but the doors locked. After a few seconds with the door handle held open it suddenly finds the phone and all works.

Reactions: TQCLove
I'm a fan of the 2 step verification (PIN to drive), so I just have gotten in the habit of using the card key (wallet has an outside quick access pocket) to unlock the car and I don't have to bother placing the card on the center console. Just touch the brake, enter PIN and go.

Extra step of unlocking with the card? I use PIN because repeater attacks suck. But I walk up, open the door, sit, touch brake, enter PIN, and go. No card needed. When I stop, I get out and walk away. When I'm about 12 feet away, it locks and arms. I've noticed I can enter the PIN more quickly without it missing numbers on the most recent update.

Reactions: Tron 3