Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I See your AP1 and I will raise you my AP2. Firmware is getting freaky good.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had my autopilot 1 X in for service and they gave me a brand new X loaner with autopilot 2.5

My impression was on the interstate it still wasn't quite as stable, although it was pretty good. On local roads might be a bit better.

I am rooting for Autopilot 2.5 though as eventually I will upgrade.

I just had my autopilot 1 X in for service and they gave me a brand new X loaner with autopilot 2.5

My impression was on the interstate it still wasn't quite as stable, although it was pretty good. On local roads might be a bit better.

I am rooting for Autopilot 2.5 though as eventually I will upgrade.

I just got back from a 2000 mile road trip in my new AP 2.5 X. AP seemed quite stable for me. Like the video above, it did amazingly well on some roads that were poorly marked, or missing lane markings entirely for quite a while (patched pavement). It only disengaged ("take over now") twice for me, both times when going through curves on the interstate, passing trucks that were wondering around in their lanes. In both cases, I was pressing the accelerator to speed up the pass and decrease the time next to the wondering truck, and was about to disengage AP anyway, so as to move farther left in my lane, to get farther away from the truck.

The main AP2.5 drawbacks as I saw them were:

- It is a bit more timid than I'd like when executing lane changes. One polite driver even flashed his lights to indicate it was safe for me to move over, as my blinker was on for so long.

- Lane changes did not work at all on divided US highways (not interstates). I thought lane change was supposed to work on divided highways, or is it supposed to be limited to true interstates? Is there some kind of controlled access designation it is looking for?

- The speed limit database *SUCKS*. We really. really, really need the speed limit sign reading from AP1. I was unable to use AP for quite a while in Florida on a few fairly major secondary roads, including A1A, since it either had the wrong limit, or no speed limit was detected at all. For a while, it thought the speed limit was 35, and would not go over 40. Similarly, the GPS based speed limit totally misses construction zones and sets you up for tickets unless you're paying attention.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Like the video above, it did amazingly well on some roads that were poorly marked, or missing lane markings entirely for quite a while (patched pavement).

This is where I think my AP1 vehicle falls short, and where I'm left really wanting AP2 now. On well marked roads AP1 is great. On roads without good paint, I rarely bother. As example, on a country road with only a center stripe, my car doesn't center up in the lane well - is way too close to the shoulder and has left the asphalt, risking a blowout. These videos make me believe an AP2 car would handle my personal use cases better at this point.

Reactions: EinSV
One of the little discussed reasons that Autopilot 1 was down rated in Autopilot 2 was do to early users posting pictures of themselves riding in the back seat with no one at the wheel. Also asleep or reading a book.

Tesla realized that this was not the intended use of that Beta release, and began to make changes to reduce their liability.

Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

I believe that autopilot will continue to improve and add features. Not all that far away it will become a safer alternative to human drivers.

We are a 2 Tesla household, one with AP1 and one with AP2. With current firmware versions, my impression is that AP2 is now much better at figuring out the lanes than AP1. On the other hand, AP1 is still quite a bit smoother in terms of the actual driving itself. I have a chance to compare them head to head, on the same roads, several times a week.

Have to hand it to you, buttershrimp, you’re braver than I am. That road section at 58 seconds in? Truly brave my friend, or nuts. Can’t decide. :eek:
Fisheye lens makes you look like you have a death wish. Seriously... it really does make you look bat *sugar* insane.

If you watch the right side of the lane, and not the oncoming cars, you'll see that it was driving reliably in the center of the lane. The way I got about filming these videos (and I really don't like driving in the left lane like that) is that I hold the wheel and if auto steer turns even one inch to the left beyond what it should, I don't let it and it self disengages. Some other tricks I've learned.... I set up the steering on "comfort" so it takes very little energy to disengage and you don't end up overcorrecting when you break the auto steer. you can practically break the auto steer by squeezing the wheel firmly. That being said, I debated whether to release this video because it looks insane. I no longer film on fishy lense for fear of traumatizing the viewer.