Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I weighed my MS today....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The weight will vary based on the options. Tesla's weight may be a fully loaded Model S or one prior to the weight reductions. This weight may be accurate. Every car will be different by some amount even with the exact same options.

I think it's fair to assume the quoted weight on the Tesla specifications page will be the base car with no options.

The following options will add the most weight:

Pano roof
Rear facing child seats
21" wheels
Twin charger

Any other options will add a small amount of weight, but probably not enough to be meaningful, as in they'll be single digit pounds.

The interesting thing about the OP is they list having none of the big weight options, so assuming the scale's certification was valid for this purpose (certified for absolute weight, not just relative weight) then it suggests that any significant weight reductions in the design of the car have happened more recently than their VIN. They do show some weight reduction already though - 57 lbs is something.

The only way to get to the bottom of this would be for the OP to get together with another Model S owner with an early VIN who also doesn't have the four big ticket weight options and both measure on the same scale right after each other.

I will post this here, since I actually JUST did this for the purposes of another thread... 4 hours of my life and 10$ later this was the result:

20140816_160501.jpg

So, to clarify, car was made in March, thinking about it and seeing other people's weights listed, I believe this captured the car WITHOUT me in it. At first I thought that might not be the case, but now I am sure this is the empty weight by itself. Of note, I would discount the weight of the mobile connector and 3 plugs plus some other very lightweight items. This is also a certified scale measure since the truckers need this in order to pass the state weight inspection stations.

Aside from March make, I have an S85, Pano Roof, twin chargers, leather seats, premium audio, tech package... I think that is everything. All other things are standard (including 19" wheels). So it is likely that I have the twin chargers where the OP does not, which I am going to guess is about 50 lbs.

I also love that this really shows the weight distribution. 48/52

charge does not affect weight.

Charge does not affect weight much.

There, fixed that for you.

Does the mass of a batterys change when charged/discharged? - Physics Stack Exchange

shows a 16kw battery changing weight by half a microgram so a 85KW battery could change weight by 4 or 5 times that, maybe 2 whole micrograms. :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

My poor attempt at humor.

fwiw I found it humerous, not LOL funny but nothing I'd discourage.

I will post this here, since I actually JUST did this for the purposes of another thread... 4 hours of my life and 10$ later this was the result:

View attachment 56876

So, to clarify, car was made in March, thinking about it and seeing other people's weights listed, I believe this captured the car WITHOUT me in it. At first I thought that might not be the case, but now I am sure this is the empty weight by itself. Of note, I would discount the weight of the mobile connector and 3 plugs plus some other very lightweight items. This is also a certified scale measure since the truckers need this in order to pass the state weight inspection stations.

Aside from March make, I have an S85, Pano Roof, twin chargers, leather seats, premium audio, tech package... I think that is everything. All other things are standard (including 19" wheels). So it is likely that I have the twin chargers where the OP does not, which I am going to guess is about 50 lbs.

I also love that this really shows the weight distribution. 48/52

OP here :
My car does in fact have twin chargers and UMC cable was in fact in trunk as well (along with about 10lbs) of work stuff. Our cars are actually identical, but I do NOT have pano. My wheels are cyclone, so I'm not sure if there is a discrepancy from cyclone to standard wheels.
My car was also made in March. Did yours have the Ti shield from the factory?
40-50lbs lighter for no pano seems reasonable.

OP here :
My car does in fact have twin chargers and UMC cable was in fact in trunk as well (along with about 10lbs) of work stuff. Our cars are actually identical, but I do NOT have pano. My wheels are cyclone, so I'm not sure if there is a discrepancy from cyclone to standard wheels.
My car was also made in March. Did yours have the Ti shield from the factory?
40-50lbs lighter for no pano seems reasonable.

Yes, sorry I have the Ti shield. I have the regular 19" but I wouldn't think it would be much weight difference between the two. The big hit is going to be going up from 19 to 21's... If I were to guess.

So, now all we need then is a pretty close car to ours but made like last month, and one made mid - early 2013 to start to get a nice baseline curve :)

One thing that wasnt mentioned much - official car weight is always in most basic version, so besides dual chargers and 21" wheels, Pano roof, big item is battery - 85KWh version will weight quite a bit more than 60KWh.

Right, which is why if we want to figure out where they have slimmed the car down we need to try to compare like cars with like cars across different manufacture dates.

What do you have? A performance? I don't recall your manufacture date. I wouldn't think there would be a significant weight difference between a 19" performance and a 19" standard... The inverter likely costs the same (in terms of weight). Although if you have larger wheels we will have to discount that weight.

I have a P85 (VIN P02281) with 21s. Frankly, I am not that curious about the weight of my car - but I am glad (seriously!) you and others are!! :)

Yes, sorry I have the Ti shield. I have the regular 19" but I wouldn't think it would be much weight difference between the two. The big hit is going to be going up from 19 to 21's... If I were to guess.

So, now all we need then is a pretty close car to ours but made like last month, and one made mid - early 2013 to start to get a nice baseline curve :)

What scale did you go to for your weights? I am in Virginia and I can (assuming it is near NoVA) swing by and get my early VIN S85 built in Dec 2012 weighed.

Mine is #3225

I do have aftermarket wheels that are roughly ~7lbs lighter then the stock 19s

In another thread, we're talking about cells with 10% more energy/cell. If Tesla already had those and if they put less cells in the battery case (but still giving same range) ... that would easily account for weight reduction.

#rumormillhardatworkconnectingthedots

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone with a recent VIN want to crack open their battery case and count 'em?

:)