Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE to EV doubts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've totally bought into the ultra-minimalist approach to the interior even more so since I got mine. It's no more noisy than my 330d at motorway speeds and considerably quieter at lower speed.

In fact the only thing that really still makes my teeth itch is the W word.

In fact the only thing that really still makes my teeth itch is the W word.
wisdom-active-whitening-fluoride-toothpaste-fresh-mint-100ml--1120897435.jpeg

...then try Colgate.

• Funny
Reactions: davidmc
Came to M3 LR from an Audi, having owned VW/BMW before.

I find the LR is much quieter in the cabin than an ICE from the German brands.
They seem to have improved the sound insulation in the latest refresh as the earlier models I test drove were noisier.

My experience is entirely the opposite. I have a P on 20” wheels rather than an LR so road noise will be louder, but cabin noise was one of the first disappointments of my M3. Sure it’s quiet at very low speeds, but you can hear tyre noise from as little as 15mph. Wind noise at motorway speeds is very intrusive. Altogether it’s not nearly as quiet or refined as a car in this price bracket should be.

On the other hand my 30 month old Audi A6 3.0l diesel is much quieter at anything over 40mph. Modern ICE engines are extremely quiet and I can’t hear any engine noise at all at 70mph. There is some tyre noise and a little wind noise but much more muted than in the M3.

My M3 is a 2019 model so perhaps the more recent ones are indeed quieter, but for me it was a big step backwards in terms of comfort and refinement.

The 2019 M3 was very noisy coming from the leaf (which was pretty quiet).. and adding various 3rd party noise reduction kits really only brought it down to acceptable. But I hear the 2021 are much better built and don't suffer the same way.

When I had a model S loaner I was amazed how quiet it was.. completely different ride by comparison to the 3.. but that's a 100k car..

Thanks for the vote of confidence. This has certainly alleviated a few fears
I‘ve had my M3P for just over a year and hadn’t even test driven one before mine was delivered. Like you, I was full of worry and doubt.

The reality has been painless, cheap motoring that gives you a smile. Once you get used to it, you’ll never want an ICE car ever again.

Another ex BMW driver and I can't say its any quieter in fact in some regards its noisier. My last BMW had an annoying rattle that turned out to be by watch strap to give you an idea of the noise level. The Model S has a whistling noise from the wing mirror and tyre noise.

I think the bigger change is maybe oddly less about Petrol to Electric, it the culture or ethos of the car. The software updates are a mixed blessing at times, some stuff isn't finished or works poorly compared to what you might expect, and there's lots you might expect simply missing (carplay, 360 parking cameras, adaptive headlights, different suspension settings, foot opening of the boot, soft close doors etc), but then there's other stuff to win you over. If you expect a car thats everything you had before plus extra high tech with a minimalist design, you might be disappointed, if you just want something different, you'll enjoy it. I'm amazed how many people have paid £2k to upgrade their MCU (big screen) on the older cars so they can get netflix and a few more games plus traffic cone visuals when you could buy a £500 ipad that does so much more but thats the way it seems to be.

I can only echo the general views expressed here. The Tesla M3P I bought last September was the first EV I have owned, though for two years previous to that I had driven my partner's BMW i3. For me, there is no way I would ever go back to an ICE car. A few weeks in to driving an EV and you start to think how ridiculous things like having to change gears, have oil changes etc are. For a balanced view, there are things I dislike about the Tesla and I would be the first to admit that long journeys definitely need more planning than you would in an ICE. But, for me, the advantages greatly outweigh the disadvantages. Then of course there's the violent kick up the backside you get when you floor the accelerator pedal.....

I honestly don't even notice any more road noise. The only thing I do notice is the occasional stone flick up and sound like its bouncing all the way along the underside of your car. That was a bit disconcerting in the beginning but now i'm used to it.

That said, nearly always have my music on to some degree so you don't hear any difference outside anyway.

Far and Away the best car i've ever owned, even after Tesla having it for a month to replace the radiator hose which I was getting extremely frustrated with, but like many others have said, I can't stop smiling when i'm driving it.

Wipers, lads. Wipers.

I feel a bit let down ... ! :D :p

It seems bizarre that there is this variation in the wiper function between cars ... you would think it should be the same for everyone but obviously not. Because mine have been spot on for quite a while now. (I haven't done any driving in the dark recently and that was the only time I used manual so that maybe still be an issue, I don't know.)