TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

ICED in Buckeye

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by smsprague, Jun 21, 2014.

1. smsprague

smsprague Member

Completely empty parking lot at Buckeye, AZ Supercharger. Still someone taking a supercharger spot.

bu2ebupe.jpg

2. JST

JST Active Member

And it's a Toyota. I smell conspiracy.

3. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

The Buckeye stalls alternate between charging only and general parking. That spot appears to be a general parking stall...

4. smsprague

smsprague Member

Did not noticed that - can not delete post unfortunately

5. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

It helps when the pavement is striped.

6. NuclearPowered

That lot is always empty. It is still rude to take a tesla spot when I know that lot is never full

7. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

I was there yesterday and there were 3 Teslas charging (including mine) - no spots ICEd. Although, a week ago, while I was charging a lady pulled into two adjacent charging spots diagonally in her ICE. She jumped out of the car, left her door open, and proceeded to the Red Box Machine - even though there were regular parking spot closer to the machine.

8. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

From the picture I don't see that. There appears to be a Supercharger pedestal on each and every white line defining a parking space. One Supercharger cable per space. No non-Supercharger spaces.

9. Kraken

Kraken Member

No .. I think what he meant is that some of the Supercharger stalls allow for general parking when the Super charger isn't in use. Usually, there is a listed time limit for for non tesla vehicles

10. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

I went back and looked at my pics from Buckeye... The signs at each space alternate between "Supercharger General Parking" (with no time limit), and "Electric Vehicle Parking". Both types of signs have the words on 3 rows.

From the OP's pic, you can't read the words, but this Camry is ICEing -- it's parked in one of the Electric Vehicle Parking designated slots. The first word is noticibly shorter than the sign one spot over...

Tesla could place the AZ-compliant signage that restricts spaces for EV charging only. However, AZ's law requires that the EV also have the AZ Alt Fuel plate - so out of state Teslas would technically be violating that law if charging. So I'm guessing they decided not to use that signage...

11. tezco

tezco Sig P85

Well no wonder these spots are ICE'd. What in the world does "Supercharger General Parking" mean? If the language describing the restriction of use isn't clear to a Tesla owner, how can we expect non-Tesla owners to know what this vague language means?

12. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

Ditto!

13. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Most of the ICEing problems are due to inadequate signage, or that the property owner requires anemic signage so as not to offend or threaten existing customers.

14. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Maybe it's some sort of compromise that Tesla has made with the property owners, but those signs are damned confusing... even to me sometimes.

Here's an example of one I've come across:

IMG_1272.JPG

It should either be a charging spot... or not!

15. essaunders

essaunders Member

actually, if you have to share the spot, that signage isn't bad. the top sign simply announces the service at the spot. the bottom sign gives the regulation. Anyone can park there for up to an hour. An EV that is charging can stay longer. Of course, does that mean a tesla can charge for an hour and then sit for an additional hour?

16. smsprague

smsprague Member

Yeah but there where 200 other empty spaces right behind the Supercharger

17. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

I agree "Supercharger General Parking" is horrible language. Signs should be simple like:

Electric Vehicle Charging Only
    [Time Limit] Parking Except for Electric Vehicle Charging -- times could be 30 min, 1 hour, 90 min, etc
    Unrestricted Parking

18. tezco

tezco Sig P85

Tesla should make every attempt to secure charging spaces that are solely designated for active charging only.

19. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Tesla should figure out how to buy the land so they can set the rules. Would the land for 8 parking spots make things cost prohibitive?

20. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Yes, when it is free for them now!