Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idaho Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it’s the High Voltage Battery Junction Box that is getting fried on the Mach E. Supposedly the issue has been fixed in all new builds since a certain date according to the Mach E forums and some pretty reputable Ford guys in the forum. We shall see. High Power driving and lots of DC charging seems to be the primary culprit.

The 5 second power rule is an example of just how far ahead of the game Tesla is with the power management system. Others are definitely playing catch up. Also Ford is touting its OTA software updates but those seem to be quite hit and miss, another thing that Tesla is way ahead of compare to any manufacturer. Software updates and features are being added to Job 2 builds from the get go while Job 1 builds that have the exact same hardware are still waiting for the OTA update and promised features from the get go.

I think the biggest request is a Frunk button in their app… people are up in arms over the lack thereof. 😂

Yes, it’s the High Voltage Battery Junction Box that is getting fried on the Mach E. Supposedly the issue has been fixed in all new builds since a certain date according to the Mach E forums and some pretty reputable Ford guys in the forum. We shall see. High Power driving and lots of DC charging seems to be the primary culprit.

The 5 second power rule is an example of just how far ahead of the game Tesla is with the power management system. Others are definitely playing catch up. Also Ford is touting its OTA software updates but those seem to be quite hit and miss, another thing that Tesla is way ahead of compare to any manufacturer. Software updates and features are being added to Job 2 builds from the get go while Job 1 builds that have the exact same hardware are still waiting for the OTA update and promised features from the get go.

I think the biggest request is a Frunk button in their app… people are up in arms over the lack thereof. 😂
Hopefully the new version of the HVBJB doesn't fail. It took a while for the first ones to happen, apparently.

Hopefully the new version of the HVBJB doesn't fail. It took a while for the first ones to happen, apparently.
Yes, it’s definitely a crap shoot but she’s down to make the switch to all electric so I want to take advantage of it.

My ultimate goal was for her to love the Model Y so much that she’d want that and allow me to drive the Model S LR I ordered way back and expected next month. The thing is we were in a 2015 Model S P85D service loaner for about 2 weeks, while a delivery day dent was being repaired, and I missed the Y tremendously.

I know the new refresh of the S vs. a beat up 2015 service loaner S is comparing apples to oranges but I struggle big time on if the current S is really a 100k+ vehicle. I’m definitely a semi-Tesla fan-boy but at that price range there sure are quite a few nice options currently out there and coming to market soon. Plus I haven’t had a sedan for so long that I forgot how annoying it was to get in and out 😂. I’m happy to stay in my Y.

I have price protection on the Mach-E, my dealer is giving me X pricing with no ADM shenanigans and I will be eligible for the rebate. We shall see how it goes and worse case I think we’d be able to flip it and at least get our money back.

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
Yes, it’s definitely a crap shoot but she’s down to make the switch to all electric so I want to take advantage of it.

My ultimate goal was for her to love the Model Y so much that she’d want that and allow me to drive the Model S LR I ordered way back and expected next month. The thing is we were in a 2015 Model S P85D service loaner for about 2 weeks, while a delivery day dent was being repaired, and I missed the Y tremendously.

I know the new refresh of the S vs. a beat up 2015 service loaner S is comparing apples to oranges but I struggle big time on if the current S is really a 100k+ vehicle. I’m definitely a semi-Tesla fan-boy but at that price range there sure are quite a few nice options currently out there and coming to market soon. Plus I haven’t had a sedan for so long that I forgot how annoying it was to get in and out 😂. I’m happy to stay in my Y.

I have price protection on the Mach-E, my dealer is giving me X pricing with no ADM shenanigans and I will be eligible for the rebate. We shall see how it goes and worse case I think we’d be able to flip it and at least get our money back.
If that's what I were up against I would be buying the Mach E for my wife as well. Fortunately, she is head over heels for the Y, and although I did some due diligence on the Mach E I don't think she spent any time thinking about it. Range and clearance were our primary concerns given where we live, so the Mach E didn't spec out against the Y.

I'm just happy to see as many people as possible getting any type of EV in Idaho. There's been an explosion of owners in the last year and a half and it's just really exciting to see that.

You have to love the technology of sentry mode. I am sitting at home and watching my PPF install on my phone - 10 miles away :cool:

thumbnail_IMG_2238.png

Guys, here's a chance to put in a word/vote for new and suggested superchargers. There's a thread about it here:

And the actual link:

We all know that superchargers are generally limited to interstates here in flyover country, which leaves huge gaps in our state. Please take a minute to place votes and also submit suggestions to Tesla so we can open up the state to better travel!

Any of you Idaho drivers having trouble with some continuing phantom braking while using cruise control, (not auto steer) on our two-lane highways? Happened to me at least three times driving over to Boise to see a play at the Morrison Center and back. Always on Highway 20. Once where the road jags left heading west from Fairfield and there are three or four large yellow signs on poles at the turn, one with a large two truck tire skid mark in the middle of the road, and one I had no idea what it might be looking at. Any tips for improving the situation? It makes using cruise control less desirable.

I guess I will also search threads here as well, but figured advice from people who might have similar driving conditions might be helpful.

Any of you Idaho drivers having trouble with some continuing phantom braking while using cruise control, (not auto steer) on our two-lane highways? Happened to me at least three times driving over to Boise to see a play at the Morrison Center and back. Always on Highway 20. Once where the road jags left heading west from Fairfield and there are three or four large yellow signs on poles at the turn, one with a large two truck tire skid mark in the middle of the road, and one I had no idea what it might be looking at. Any tips for improving the situation? It makes using cruise control less desirable.

I guess I will also search threads here as well, but figured advice from people who might have similar driving conditions might be helpful.
How much of a slowing was it? I have some 4-5 mph slowings when I am coming around sharp curves on 45 mph roads near home, while I am using TACC, but they are actually rational and appropriate for the road. No slam the brakes 20 mph slowing out of the blue since June, IIRC. In fact, last weekend drove 160 mile round trip from here to WhiteBird and back, mostly using TACC and all on 2 lane stuff with speed limits from 65 to 25, and nothing of any concern. Tomorrow, round trip from here to Boise and back, all on 2 lanes. I'll pay attention.

How much of a slowing was it? I have some 4-5 mph slowings when I am coming around sharp curves on 45 mph roads near home, while I am using TACC, but they are actually rational and appropriate for the road. No slam the brakes 20 mph slowing out of the blue since June, IIRC. In fact, last weekend drove 160 mile round trip from here to WhiteBird and back, mostly using TACC and all on 2 lane stuff with speed limits from 65 to 25, and nothing of any concern. Tomorrow, round trip from here to Boise and back, all on 2 lanes. I'll pay attention.
I had an Appropriate wine as you described a timer to. But I also had a couple sudden and sharp breaking notes. The one with the turn
Appropriate wine as you described a timer to. But I also had a couple sudden and sharp braking episodes. The one with the turn signs I described which had slowed as you are describing and kept rolling, appropriate. But it was a sudden sharp braking with pretty drastic reduction in speed that I did not look to measure. The other one was on an open street with nothing on the road in front of me other than some large black skidmarks from some truck.

I should also say that occasionally I get an alert, I should also say that occasionally I get an alert, bleeding tonight later at night when I am driving after dark on unlit country roads where it claims that the front camera is obstructed or some thing. And my car is clean with no obstructions to anything that I can see.

Thinking about this, I think I'm going to set up a service consultation.

@DrGriz seems like I am having similar things happen as some of the people in this unpleasant to read thread, on two lane undivided highways. I have had what I would call phantom braking (sharp feeling braking suddenly) with: Motorcyle in opposing lane, cars or trucks in opposing lane, (both of the previous day or night) large skid marks in my lane, that's about it.

It appears the camera is blocked error message seems to be common if there is not enough light and the road you were on is not well marked like lots of Idaho roads I travel are. so unfortunately, it appears that it is within the realm of normal experience for some drivers. It is interesting that you do not seem to experience it as much. And again, this is with essentially just the cruise control activated, not the auto steer/steering assist function applied. I will say that once on an actual freeway, the system seems to work quite well and I enjoy how it will just maintain the distance that I set so I don't have to go in and out of cruise control. Only having problems on County two lane type roads at full highway speed.

Based on the initial skimming around here, I'm not sure there is much to be done about it for me. Just hope they keep improving the software. It got to the point that I basically just took the car out of cruise control and operated the throttle myself on the way home from Boise yesterday which is far from ideal.

Reactions: DrGriz
Yes for some reason mine occurs with both Auto Pilot or just Adaptive cruise activated. Almost every time it's when I am approaching a big rig truck and start to over take it while in the left lane. Drives me crazy and scares the crap out of all my passengers. Very frustrating.

On a different topic... picked up this today for the wife. In my short time driving it there are some different pros and cons to the Mach E. Different animal for sure. Build quality on the Ford much nicer, seats way more comfy and honestly the ride is much better. The Model Y has way more room and storage and it's tech is leaps and bounds ahead of the Mach E. It's a typical Ford with pages and pages of settings, I definitely like the minimalistic approach of Tesla. The wife loves it cause it's more a "normal car" in her opinion. I'll get some more time behind the wheel and do a bigger review later.

Eager to try out Blue Cruise cause people are raving about it.

Attachments

• 68896306659__20E1C206-5686-4801-8C3A-0B50A68A6A2E.jpeg
    68896306659__20E1C206-5686-4801-8C3A-0B50A68A6A2E.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0066.jpeg
    IMG_0066.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0067.jpeg
    IMG_0067.jpeg
    369.8 KB · Views: 21
@DrGriz seems like I am having similar things happen as some of the people in this unpleasant to read thread, on two lane undivided highways. I have had what I would call phantom braking (sharp feeling braking suddenly) with: Motorcyle in opposing lane, cars or trucks in opposing lane, (both of the previous day or night) large skid marks in my lane, that's about it.

It appears the camera is blocked error message seems to be common if there is not enough light and the road you were on is not well marked like lots of Idaho roads I travel are. so unfortunately, it appears that it is within the realm of normal experience for some drivers. It is interesting that you do not seem to experience it as much. And again, this is with essentially just the cruise control activated, not the auto steer/steering assist function applied. I will say that once on an actual freeway, the system seems to work quite well and I enjoy how it will just maintain the distance that I set so I don't have to go in and out of cruise control. Only having problems on County two lane type roads at full highway speed.

Based on the initial skimming around here, I'm not sure there is much to be done about it for me. Just hope they keep improving the software. It got to the point that I basically just took the car out of cruise control and operated the throttle myself on the way home from Boise yesterday which is far from ideal.
We made a trip to Boise and back on Monday. There was only one irrational slowing (on the s-curve on 55 just south of Avimor: we were driving south) of about 5 mph when the oncoming cars probably appeared to be about to cross the centerline.

I don't consider that episode significant, since a cautious driver might have slowed down for the same situation.

I think it is important to differentiate between those tiny slowdowns (our car now slows down for a tight curve, which it should do!) vs the slam on the brakes on a straight stretch. Sometimes the car is just being cautious and you can understand why it did that if you think about it.

I guess if I were still having those episodes, I would really clean the glass over the windshield and cameras. Might even do a camera recalibration (in the service menu). Do it right, on the interstate as the instructions show. And I assume you have updated your software, right?

Note
Ensure all cameras and sensors (if equipped) are clean before each drive. See Cleaning Cameras and Sensors for more information. Dirty cameras and sensors, as well as environmental conditions such as rain and faded lane markings, can affect Autopilot performance.

Last edited:
We made a trip to Boise and back on Monday. There was only one irrational slowing (on the s-curve on 55 just south of Avimor: we were driving south) of about 5 mph when the oncoming cars probably appeared to be about to cross the centerline.

I don't consider that episode significant, since a cautious driver might have slowed down for the same situation.

I think it is important to differentiate between those tiny slowdowns (our car now slows down for a tight curve, which it should do!) vs the slam on the brakes on a straight stretch. Sometimes the car is just being cautious and you can understand why it did that if you think about it.

I guess if I were still having those episodes, I would really clean the glass over the windshield and cameras. Might even do a camera recalibration (in the service menu). Do it right, on the interstate as the instructions show. And I assume you have updated your software, right?

Note
Ensure all cameras and sensors (if equipped) are clean before each drive. See Cleaning Cameras and Sensors for more information. Dirty cameras and sensors, as well as environmental conditions such as rain and faded lane markings, can affect Autopilot performance.
Sure, I will try all that. It will be a while before I'll be on an interstate again though.

Reactions: DrGriz
Yes for some reason mine occurs with both Auto Pilot or just Adaptive cruise activated. Almost every time it's when I am approaching a big rig truck and start to over take it while in the left lane. Drives me crazy and scares the crap out of all my passengers. Very frustrating.

On a different topic... picked up this today for the wife. In my short time driving it there are some different pros and cons to the Mach E. Different animal for sure. Build quality on the Ford much nicer, seats way more comfy and honestly the ride is much better. The Model Y has way more room and storage and it's tech is leaps and bounds ahead of the Mach E. It's a typical Ford with pages and pages of settings, I definitely like the minimalistic approach of Tesla. The wife loves it cause it's more a "normal car" in her opinion. I'll get some more time behind the wheel and do a bigger review later.

Eager to try out Blue Cruise cause people are raving about it.
Looking forward to hearing about your experience with the Mach E.

This is a point that I think many of us forget or ignore.

Warning
Autosteer is intended for use on controlled-access highways with a fully attentive driver. When using Autosteer, hold the steering wheel and be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic. Do not use Autosteer in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present. Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path. Always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause damage, serious injury or death

We actually rarely have controlled access highways in Idaho. The interstates and maybe a few other places meet this restriction. Honestly, if I followed it, I would probably never use autosteer.

Of course, I do use it on uncontrolled highways. But if it misbehaves, I guess it's on me.

This is a point that I think many of us forget or ignore.

We actually rarely have controlled access highways in Idaho. The interstates and maybe a few other places meet this restriction. Honestly, if I followed it, I would probably never use autosteer.

Of course, I do use it on uncontrolled highways. But if it misbehaves, I guess it's on me.
I don't really care about autosteer for my use. I just don't want my car braking on me inappropriately whilst using cruise control. The problem with autosteer for me, when I am on roads marked well enough to use it at all, is it puts me in the road right where the most potholes are, and often I do not like its line in a curve.

Overall, I am loving my car! (despite the news reports concerning the life outside of Tesla of the CEO).

I don't really care about autosteer for my use. I just don't want my car braking on me inappropriately whilst using cruise control. The problem with autosteer for me, when I am on roads marked well enough to use it at all, is it puts me in the road right where the most potholes are, and often I do not like its line in a curve.

Overall, I am loving my car! (despite the news reports concerning the life outside of Tesla of the CEO).
I hear you. Yes, the potholes. If only they'd fix those. And yes, everyone hugs the fog line when there's passing traffic on a two lane.