Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If I get a flat tire in UK what’s my options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To those of you relying on AA/RAC, have you ever had to call them out for a puncture and was the lack of a spare or repair kit discussed?

I get RAC cover with my bank account, but there is an explicit clause that says cover is not provided ‘If the breakdown is as a result of a tyre fault and a spare wheel or the manufacturer’s repair equipment is not being carried.‘.

When we summoned the AA using the app there was a response required "spare or no spare". No quibbles. Since we were at home and safe, our call was lower priority so it took them two hours to arrive.

The lawyer in me says that we had the manufacturer's repair equipment to hand (call Tesla Roadside button on the roof) but the spare swap was unavailable :) And as previously noted we had our own repair kit, puck and trolley jack but the AA guy chose to use his own. Now the proud owner of a Road Hero kit so no problemo for any edge situation.

By the time we load up with Oscar and Hamish in the frunk, DreamCase and Road Hero on board in back, it will be the same load as four pax!

Reactions: Jeeves
I am still a little unclear on why/how this blue wedge works/is needed? You mentioned the AA chap inflated the tyre before you rolled the car back onto the wedge and then the car could be jacked. Presumably it was inflated while the tyre was still punctured? If so, I assume that this must have been a "slowish" puncture to allow the inflation at all? If it inflated why wasnt it possible to get the jack situated without the intermediate step of using the wedge? Just trying to understand before I finalise my own emergency puncture kit for my MS. Thanks.

The leak was slow, not a blow out. Down to zero overnight. Without filling the tyre, the ground clearance was barely enough to get the puck under the car... circa 75mm? So filling the tyre and rolling back onto the 100mm tall wedge allowed the AA trolley jack to be positioned under the puck then in place.

With a blowout it would have been onto a transporter and worse damage (irrepairable?) to the tyre, and potential damage to the road wheel , I reckon.

When I was young and dumb (about 10 years ago) I noticed a screw in a rear tyre. It was diagonal through the side of a tread block and the head had already come off but I wasn't losing any noticeable pressure so ignored it (like I said, young and dumb)
About 6 months / 10k miles later, when I was having a couple of tyres replaced, the fitter pointed out what was now a much smaller screw that was still stuck through the tyre. I reckon I was lucky not to have had a blow out from that.

When i was young and dumb i saw a nail in my tire. Wasn't loosing any air at all so i thought hey lets pull it out., then i had a flat!

should have driven to a tire repair place and let them deal with it

I am playing out a scenario which I hope doesn’t occur. Should I get a flat tyre and can’t get the car home my first port of call is going to be Tesla service. Does anyone have experience of what they will offer me? How much is an 18” tyre from them? Am I going to get fleeced? Can they fix by the side of the road?

Tempted to put a tyre inflator in the boot just in case.
I got a flat twice (don’t ask), second time after a 2500 miles European trip just 10 miles from home in London, how stupid is that. On both occasions, I called Tesla roadside assistance, they organised a repair truck that arrived within about 30-40mns and took 10 mins or so do do the work. The price wasn’t cheap but wasn’t crazy at all.

I got a flat twice (don’t ask), second time after a 2500 miles European trip just 10 miles from home in London, how stupid is that. On both occasions, I called Tesla roadside assistance, they organised a repair truck that arrived within about 30-40mns and took 10 mins or so do do the work. The price wasn’t cheap but wasn’t crazy at all.
Shouldn't it be free with the roadside assistance?

I wrote to the RAC to ask how I would be dealt with:

“If your vehicle manufacturer does not provide this as standard, then you are still able to call RAC for assistance.”

By “this” they mean the spare or repair kit.

Good to know. I think I will still get one of those dynaplug kit things.

When we summoned the AA using the app there was a response required "spare or no spare". No quibbles. Since we were at home and safe, our call was lower priority so it took them two hours to arrive.

The lawyer in me says that we had the manufacturer's repair equipment to hand (call Tesla Roadside button on the roof) but the spare swap was unavailable :) And as previously noted we had our own repair kit, puck and trolley jack but the AA guy chose to use his own. Now the proud owner of a Road Hero kit so no problemo for any edge situation.

By the time we load up with Oscar and Hamish in the frunk, DreamCase and Road Hero on board in back, it will be the same load as four pax!
Do the AA carry pucks, etc? I have group AA cover for the family, and they claim to be able to do EVs, but feel "twitchy" about how they would deal with a M3. (Of course, I also have the Tesla cover that came with the car, so maybe a bit overkill...)

What is the best option to buy a puck for a MS (and will one do for the typical one tyre puncture scenario)? Which of the numerous plug kits that can be bought is best? What is this "Tesla Roadside button on the roof" - is that a M3 feature? Does Tesla Roadside assistance come with every car (for life?) or is it an additional purchase? thanks

What is this "Tesla Roadside button on the roof" - is that a M3 feature? Does Tesla Roadside assistance come with every car (for life?) or is it an additional purchase? thanks

The button on the roof in the M3 calls the emergency services. It's right beside the button for the hazard lights and not particularly well marked! Thankfully there is a message that comes onscreen that gives you the option to cancel before the call goes through.

I am playing out a scenario which I hope doesn’t occur. Should I get a flat tyre and can’t get the car home my first port of call is going to be Tesla service. Does anyone have experience of what they will offer me? How much is an 18” tyre from them? Am I going to get fleeced? Can they fix by the side of the road?

Tempted to put a tyre inflator in the boot just in case.
Buy a tire plug kit and the Tesla compressor and fix it yourself. I have done this on a variety of flats.

What is the best option to buy a puck for a MS (and will one do for the typical one tyre puncture scenario)? Which of the numerous plug kits that can be bought is best? What is this "Tesla Roadside button on the roof" - is that a M3 feature? Does Tesla Roadside assistance come with every car (for life?) or is it an additional purchase? thanks

DIY option below...and sensibly you don't need to bother with the middle lug as they're nly for location.

Home made jack pad for Model S

I keep meaning to knock up a bunch of these for my own S..perhaps 2 sizes since i know local garage lift system needs a thicker (timber) block underneath to clear the lip on his hoists lift arms (4 punctures and counting) and thinner (aluminium) ones if I ever use my own trolley jack. I really have no excuse with a hobby shed full of machine tools....

Never felt the need for a jack pad - if you used the same amount of time locating the jack pad as locating the trolly jack you'd get the same safe result. And you've more clearance without a jack pad than with.

I carry a Ring compressor and a dynaplug repair kit like this one https://amzn.to/34KuBsz I've used it succssfully and actually still have the repair in the tyre and not yet taken it to a tyre place to get it fixed properly (a function of lockdown) and the tyres stayed inflated for a month now and the cars been used about 3 times.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeeves