Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If I get a flat tire in UK what’s my options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found the Tesla jack pads on amazon. They are sold singularly or in packs of four. How many do I really need? Will I only require one for fixing flat tyres?
I bought four and routinely carry them in my boot. When you take it to a repair place of any kind, they often want to work on multiple corners, so it is worth having them.

Ive bought a Ring 635 tyre inflator. Its a 10amp version so wont overload the 12v fuse. I also bought a cycle worm insertion kit to plug small nail punctures. That should cover most minor tyre failures and get me going again

You all need to cultivate a garage like my local one. I've just been back after the (same as three times before) tyre started losing pressure the last few days. They still have my wooden blocks from the first time they lifted the S, still have the marks on their big hoist for exactly where to position it for their sub-lift system. It turned out to be one of the previous plugs leaking so they refused money even when i tried to press them to take it. They only charged me a tenner last time anyway...

Never felt the need for a jack pad - if you used the same amount of time locating the jack pad as locating the trolly jack you'd get the same safe result. And you've more clearance without a jack pad than with.

I carry a Ring compressor and a dynaplug repair kit like this one https://amzn.to/34KuBsz I've used it succssfully and actually still have the repair in the tyre and not yet taken it to a tyre place to get it fixed properly (a function of lockdown) and the tyres stayed inflated for a month now and the cars been used about 3 times.
Thanks for the Dynaplug repair kit recommendation. I just ordered the one you linked to at Amazon. I figure it is better to have and hopefully not need.

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
You all need to cultivate a garage like my local one. I've just been back after the (same as three times before) tyre started losing pressure the last few days. They still have my wooden blocks from the first time they lifted the S, still have the marks on their big hoist for exactly where to position it for their sub-lift system. It turned out to be one of the previous plugs leaking so they refused money even when i tried to press them to take it. They only charged me a tenner last time anyway...

I just got my plugged flat tyre properly patched at a local Just Tyre. Very helpful and willing to listen to the 101 rules for lifting the car and repairing the tyre. They knew how to do it and did a professional job. Used my puck and a floor jack.

IMAG1600.jpg

Replugged from the inside, patched, reglued the acoustic insulation, balanced and remounted the wheel with a torque spanner. £25.

Going back to tyre plugs, I keep looking at a set on Amazon that comes in a number of different guises - strength of case and number of tools/plugs.

I'm trying to fathom what is needed in the car to use these when a air compressor doesn't temporarily sort.

Say you got a screw lodged in the tyre, presumably you need to screw it out first so need to carry an assortment of screw drivers. What if its say a drill or blind screw. Some form of plyers?

Also, what sort of force is needed on the plugging tool when inserting. I see some are plastic handled tools, whilst some are metal. Presumably some force is needed to twist the plug into the hole so metal is better?

Going back to tyre plugs, I keep looking at a set on Amazon that comes in a number of different guises - strength of case and number of tools/plugs.

I'm trying to fathom what is needed in the car to use these when a air compressor doesn't temporarily sort.

Say you got a screw lodged in the tyre, presumably you need to screw it out first so need to carry an assortment of screw drivers. What if its say a drill or blind screw. Some form of plyers?

Also, what sort of force is needed on the plugging tool when inserting. I see some are plastic handled tools, whilst some are metal. Presumably some force is needed to twist the plug into the hole so metal is better?

I've done a few now but others may be more experienced or have better suggestions:
Getting the screw out, you rarely find it still has a viable head and its not been screwed, so just leveraging it out works, I carry an electrical screwdriver and a pair or pointy pliers.

If its a really slow puncture it can be quite hard to plug. The one type of kit includes a spike to open up the hole to the right size. Feels counter intuitive to make the hole bigger. Thats a one way trip as the tyre won't hold air until plugged, so I'd be reluctant to do this unless at home. The strips on that type of kit are thick and you cover them with goo which also helps to lubricate them, Force wise, its impossible but not for the elderly, hard to describe but imagine 2 maybe 3 boxes (24-36) bottles of wine piled up on the floor, you'd need to be able to push them single handed across the floor usually lying next to them. The angle of attack is often the enemy more than the force, front tyres are much easier or if at home, take ther wheel off if you can.

The dynaplug thing is slightly different in that they're smaller. But same problem, if the puncture is slow the hole is likely to be too small. I think the instructions even suggest drilling a small hole if you can't get the plug it, and its not practical to carry a drill. I spent ages the first time trying to use the damn thing on slow puncture that was losing 2psi a day.. and no amount of force was going to work. So if its a small hole/slow puncture then top up and limp home and maybe drill out if you can't push the plug in. I find the handles of those to be a little awkward to apply pressure but you need a little less force to use than the stips, but its still not something to attempt unless you have a modicum of strength. Once in, tool removal is easy.

The last one I did during lockdown at home. I ended up using the spike to open the hole but the strips had gone off and the slime had dried up so I couldn't get the stip in far enough and ended up breaking the handle. I then switched to the dynaplug and it needed 2 plugs (they say this is not unusual) to seal the hole and its been fine since.

The dynaplug things can go off once opened too, I had an unopened set I ended up using. So my advice is if you open strips or the glue from either set, its worth getting fresh in for next time, the handles etc are reusable. .

Last edited:
Thanks for reply

I was kind of thinking either

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRIUMPH-DYNAPLUG®-TUBELESS-PUNCTURE-REPAIR/dp/B00LO86HG8/ref=pd_sbs_263_32?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00LO86HG8&pd_rd_r=30832019-86e4-44db-9512-b28d43e81005&pd_rd_w=sVgOZ&pd_rd_wg=TKQ00&pf_rd_p=2773aa8e-42c5-4dbe-bda8-5cdf226aa078&pf_rd_r=A2NJ650RP6M23WG4EYGV&psc=1&refRID=A2NJ650RP6M23WG4EYGV

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dynaplug-U...T5ZQSW12Z3G&psc=1&refRID=Q8GKJEF4GT5ZQSW12Z3G

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DYNAPLUG®-ULTRALITE-TUBELESS-PUNCTURE-MOTORCYCLES/dp/B00UQPUZUE/ref=pd_sbs_263_1/260-5261014-7755444?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00UQPUZUE&pd_rd_r=30832019-86e4-44db-9512-b28d43e81005&pd_rd_w=sVgOZ&pd_rd_wg=TKQ00&pf_rd_p=2773aa8e-42c5-4dbe-bda8-5cdf226aa078&pf_rd_r=A2NJ650RP6M23WG4EYGV&psc=1&refRID=A2NJ650RP6M23WG4EYGV

I thought the additional tools in the first one may be useful, plus it looks a bit stronger.

Interesting that you say that even these can go off once opened. I had hoped not seeing. I've not got much reference to size but wondering if a relatively small air tight container would be a good way to store everything in and solve that problem? Its not really clear to me what the viscose plugs are and how they are supplied and stored.

No Glue Required - After use, tubes of glue dry out in a short time and when you need it again it's not there. Because Dynaplug retains its sealing ability indefinitely both during storage and in the tyre, no glue is required

That first set looks quite good, not seen one with the borer as part of the set. One set also looks like it has a larger palm sized end which would make pushing it in easier.

I know mine seemed to lose some of their properties, maybe its a function of handling them rather than just exposure to air. They feel ever so slightly tacky when new and mine lost that but they'd been dumped on the floor when previously using the set.

They're still expensive compared to the non branded but slightly more brutal kits like this one that you can just replace after use. I'd chuck on in the car for £4 as a backup https://amzn.to/3eXJpYt but given a choiuce I'd start with dynaplug, except it can work out more expensive than a repoar at a garage, but on a Sunday when they're all shut, they've both got better odds than nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBadger
That first set looks quite good, not seen one with the borer as part of the set. One set also looks like it has a larger palm sized end which would make pushing it in easier.

I know mine seemed to lose some of their properties, maybe its a function of handling them rather than just exposure to air. They feel ever so slightly tacky when new and mine lost that but they'd been dumped on the floor when previously using the set.

They're still expensive compared to the non branded but slightly more brutal kits like this one that you can just replace after use. I'd chuck on in the car for £4 as a backup https://amzn.to/3eXJpYt but given a choiuce I'd start with dynaplug, except it can work out more expensive than a repoar at a garage, but on a Sunday when they're all shut, they've both got better odds than nothing.

The mushroom shaped plugs that the AA used on my tyre were like the ones included in the Amazon set I bought/

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YZ3GZX6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The pistol grip device enlongates the very flexible plug so that it can get into a rather modest screw hole after a gentle reaming with the fluted prong.

It will blow a fuse that resets its self after a period of time. I had the Ring RTC1000, this caused the fuse to trip when inflating a few psi with the light on. Exchanged for the RTC500 and no further issues.

hmmm... well, guess what, my RTC500 just blew the glass fuse inside the plug. First time it's done this in the 8 months I've had it although I must have used it to do the tyres maybe three or four times before this. Irritatingly, it got through three of the four tyres before it blew so I'm now in the market for a glass fuse while the front left throws warnings at me constantly.

Anyone know whether I'm safe swapping the dead 10A fuse out for a 20A or would I be risking a meltdown? I don't want to have to keep a pile of 10A fuses in the car just in case.