Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you do not mind, Please post your trade in offer from Tesla so we can compare note

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What kind of offers are people getting from CarMax?
P85+ purchased at $115K (pre tax credit) in September 2013 (1 year and 1 month ago)
BMW offered low-mid 80's trade-in (can't remember the exact number)
Tesla offered $77K
Today, my local Carmax in Houston, TX, offered me: drumroll please ----

$71K:confused:

They explained to me that the warranty was too expensive to cover and that this car would not be one that they would be able to keep on the Carmax lot, and thus the offer above. Go figure.

I have concluded that I will not be upgrading to the P85D, based on the offers I am receiving. :scared: However, just for fun, I may take the car to both Mercedes and Audi to see what they offer!

2010 Tesla Roadster Sport loaded ($142k new) with 11k miles: Tesla Palo Alto, CA offered $51k last week. I sold to an Audi dealer for $71,500.

2013 Tesla Model S P85 ($102k new) with 21k miles: Tesla Palo Alto, CA offered $63,300 last week. I sold to an Audi dealer for $84,000.

In case it is helpful to anyone looking to upgrade, thought I'd describe my experience selling my April, 2013 Model S, 85kw, 21", tech, pano, sound with about 14k miles, to upgrade to a D. I solicited an offer from Tesla and they came in at $61k. It took me about 15 minutes and $49 to take pictures of the car and list it on this forum and on cars.com that evening. By morning I had multiple emails. After a total investment of maybe 5-10 minutes over the next day responding to emails and going back and forth with potential buyers, I sold the car a bit over asking, for right about $80k, nearly $19k over the Tesla offer with an investment of less than 1 hour's effort. My takeaways? (1) As noted elsewhere, Tesla is offering to buy back at a very low level (maybe cause they are reselling to dealers? don't care, it is absolutely their right to buy back or not at whatever price they want, they have no obligation to do so). (2) With online tools, it is crazy easy to do a private sale (less than an hour of actual effort), so it would be hard for me to justify giving the sales premium to a dealer (whether that is Tesla or Carmax or the local other car dealer), I am very glad I sold it on the private market. (3) I under-priced my car, as I was overly-persuaded that the new features would quickly depress the market. I'd have started about $5k higher if I knew then what I know now, trying to balance getting the highest price with minimizing my time investment. Overall, I think it worked out great and I drove the car for about $1,000 per month during my ownership period, and I am ok with having maybe sacrificed a couple of percentage points on the sale for an easy, quick process.

In case it is helpful to anyone looking to upgrade, thought I'd describe my experience selling my April, 2013 Model S, 85kw, 21", tech, pano, sound with about 14k miles, to upgrade to a D. I solicited an offer from Tesla and they came in at $61k. It took me about 15 minutes and $49 to take pictures of the car and list it on this forum and on cars.com that evening. By morning I had multiple emails. After a total investment of maybe 5-10 minutes over the next day responding to emails and going back and forth with potential buyers, I sold the car a bit over asking, for right about $80k, nearly $19k over the Tesla offer with an investment of less than 1 hour's effort. My takeaways? (1) As noted elsewhere, Tesla is offering to buy back at a very low level (maybe cause they are reselling to dealers? don't care, it is absolutely their right to buy back or not at whatever price they want, they have no obligation to do so). (2) With online tools, it is crazy easy to do a private sale (less than an hour of actual effort), so it would be hard for me to justify giving the sales premium to a dealer (whether that is Tesla or Carmax or the local other car dealer), I am very glad I sold it on the private market. (3) I under-priced my car, as I was overly-persuaded that the new features would quickly depress the market. I'd have started about $5k higher if I knew then what I know now, trying to balance getting the highest price with minimizing my time investment. Overall, I think it worked out great and I drove the car for about $1,000 per month during my ownership period, and I am ok with having maybe sacrificed a couple of percentage points on the sale for an easy, quick process.
That sounds good....what was ur net price (after tax rebate) when original purchased? Yes,I know not everyone qualifies for the fed tax rebate....just curious on what ur orig net cost was.

McLaren 12C owners and Tesla P85 owners can commiserate...

MONTICELLO, N.Y. — McLaren calls its latest model the 650S. But McLaren 2.0 might be the more fitting description.
The 650S advances and replaces the 12C, the car that put the British company — the detail-obsessed Formula One rival to the likes of Ferrari — back in the business of building road cars.
With 641 horsepower and an exotic hydraulic suspension that tames potholes and racetracks alike, the 650S grabs the 12C’s baton and sprints like the wind. On the road or track, the 650S is faster, sharper and more charismatic than the somewhat clinical 12C. The coupe tops out at 207 m.p.h.
For some McLaren loyalists, the 650S arrived a little too fast. McLaren’s unexpected decision to replace the 12C outright after just three years has left that car an orphan and caused a dismaying slide in the prices of new and used 12Cs. Think of the grumbling that surrounds Apple’s revolving-door product updates, only at six-figure stakes.

This is AWESOME. I just looked at a nicely priced MP4 this afternoon as a "tide me over" until the PD comes in :)

McLaren 12C owners and Tesla P85 owners can commiserate...

MONTICELLO, N.Y. — McLaren calls its latest model the 650S. But McLaren 2.0 might be the more fitting description.
The 650S advances and replaces the 12C, the car that put the British company — the detail-obsessed Formula One rival to the likes of Ferrari — back in the business of building road cars.
With 641 horsepower and an exotic hydraulic suspension that tames potholes and racetracks alike, the 650S grabs the 12C’s baton and sprints like the wind. On the road or track, the 650S is faster, sharper and more charismatic than the somewhat clinical 12C. The coupe tops out at 207 m.p.h.
For some McLaren loyalists, the 650S arrived a little too fast. McLaren’s unexpected decision to replace the 12C outright after just three years has left that car an orphan and caused a dismaying slide in the prices of new and used 12Cs. Think of the grumbling that surrounds Apple’s revolving-door product updates, only at six-figure stakes.

It's been a while since I sold a car in a private sale. How is payment handled today? It used to be cashiers check or cash but you're not doing cash for $80k, I assume... ;)

actually, the Tampa dealership was one of the first in the country and a friend and I placed an order with them the day they were announced. My friend was stolen by The Collection when they got their dealership while I remained with the Tampa store. A year latter, my bud calls me and asks if I have configured my car. I'd heard nothing from my dealer so I dropped my contact a note. The response was, you have no order with us. I contacted the McLaren US dealer manager who, after looking into it, came back and told me I did not have a car on order. I sent him the email confirmation from a year earlier where the Tampa sales manager confirmed my order.

McLaren offered to reinstate my order with the Tampa store. I suggested they deliver the car through The Collection as they were capable of properly managing the sale of a quarter million in car. The MP4 was in huge demand so McLaren refused. I dodged a bullet and have been grateful ever since that the Tampa dealership was incompetent and McLaren was so arrogant.

Now that the MP4 has fallen like a stone, I find the car good value. I must live under a lucky star :)

Someone on a related thread was asking about ICE trades. Specifically, is Tesla passing through the (competitive) wholesale bid for cars they do not keep or do they shave off 12% for themselves on the way by? I have not had an ICE to trade in for years so I do not know but the answer to this question would be telling.

I received a trade in price in June for my Cayenne from the Porsche Dealer where I was considering a new Macan.
Two months later, Tesla's trade in price was about $500 higher. The vibe I got was they are making little if anything from the ICE trade ins.

I received a trade in price in June for my Cayenne from the Porsche Dealer where I was considering a new Macan.
Two months later, Tesla's trade in price was about $500 higher. The vibe I got was they are making little if anything from the ICE trade ins.

That's good to hear. Although it would be nice to have more data points to confirm, it suggests that Tesla is currently offering reasonable trade-in values for ICE cars.

I just took delivery of S85 2 weeks back and Tesla was offering me $7500 for my Camry trade in.

Sold Camry on Craigslist for $9500

I understand that Camry is not a luxury car but I thought the offer was low on my ICE car. It was below compared to KBB value as well.