Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you HAD to convince someone to not get a Tesla, what would you say?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well then, you never had a luxury vehicle in your life. Your responses are typical kool aid drinking responses. The mirrors are small, more people have said it's small than big just like the AC, the ac system is not great. If you think the plain interior justifies $60k then you answer is subjective. There have been numerous threads that addresses the wind noise. You said you had no quality issues but had a rattle fixed, that contradicts what you just said. There are more people that have reported these issues than praising.
My other car is a BMW 535 that cost $86k new as it is fully loaded. I have had several rattles fixed in the BMW as well as several other small issues including a bad wheel bearing. The side mirrors are smaller than the Tesla's. I have seen the comments about the AC system in the Tesla, but we have no problems at all - even on hot and humid days. You may have wind noise and, again, I have seen others comment about it, but we do not.

Sounds like your experience has been very different. Bottom line is that when I open the garage door to drive, I always choose the Tesla (unless my wife had already taken it).

Yep. Control arm squeaks after 48,000 miles.
One thing to keep in mind.. With an ICE car, you typically are supposed to lube the chassis components with each oil change. At least that's what I've been taught since working on cars as a kid with my dad... Even if the joints don't have zerk fittings, you can use a needle tip to inject the grease directly under the boot. Since Teslas don't need oil changes, I'm thinking the chassis components aren't getting lubed like they tend to with an ICE car, despite the chassis components being the same regardless of engine type.

Well then, you never had a luxury vehicle in your life. Your responses are typical kool aid drinking responses. The mirrors are small, more people have said it's small than big just like the AC, the ac system is not great. If you think the plain interior justifies $60k then you answer is subjective. There have been numerous threads that addresses the wind noise. You said you had no quality issues but had a rattle fixed, that contradicts what you just said. There are more people that have reported these issues than praising.

The mirrors...? PPL complain about the size of the mirrors? I love the interior and do not want a bazillion buttons and crap. Those all tend to break on those luxo cars, hell on BMW and Mercedes. Raise your hand if you've never seen a BMW w/o a cell lit up on less than 3 items on your BMW, lol. So many ppl complain about crap as if it only happens on a Tesla. :rolleyes:

My other car is a BMW 535 that cost $86k new as it is fully loaded. I have had several rattles fixed in the BMW as well as several other small issues including a bad wheel bearing. The side mirrors are smaller than the Tesla's. I have seen the comments about the AC system in the Tesla, but we have no problems at all - even on hot and humid days. You may have wind noise and, again, I have seen others comment about it, but we do not.

Sounds like your experience has been very different. Bottom line is that when I open the garage door to drive, I always choose the Tesla (unless my wife had already taken it).
I've had the fuel pump go out at 20k miles on my M3. Electrical gremlins don't ever seem to go away either on BMWs. But anyways, I've had to replace the wheel bearings on every single car that I've ever owned... I just hope the Tesla uses bolt on hub assembly, with the bearings, and don't press the bearings directly into the steering knuckle... It makes replacing the bearings a pain in the ass when they are pressed directly into the knuckle. (I'm looking at you Honda/Acura)

Reactions: mark95476
One thing to keep in mind.. With an ICE car, you typically are supposed to lube the chassis components with each oil change. At least that's what I've been taught since working on cars as a kid with my dad... Even if the joints don't have zerk fittings, you can use a needle tip to inject the grease directly under the boot.
That was true when you were a kid.

I just hope the Tesla uses bolt on hub assembly, with the bearings, and don't press the bearings directly into the steering knuckle... It makes replacing the bearings a pain in the ass when they are pressed directly into the knuckle. (I'm looking at you Honda/Acura)
I had to replace some on my STI, what a pain in the ass. But it is very common for press-in on the knuckles. The radiator leaked too and it only had 63K miles on it. I literally drive 4K miles a year and the radiator leaks... stupid use of composite tanks. I swapped a thick alu core one in, might as well. I swear, why do ppl act like ICE cars don't break or have issues?

The mirrors...? PPL complain about the size of the mirrors? I love the interior and do not want a bazillion buttons and crap. Those all tend to break on those luxo cars, hell on BMW and Mercedes. Raise your hand if you've never seen a BMW w/o a cell lit up on less than 3 items on your BMW, lol. So many ppl complain about crap as if it only happens on a Tesla. :rolleyes:
All these people talking about quality issues, and how these things don't happen with real luxury makes, etc... Makes me wonder if they've ever owned a Range Rover or a Jaguar, lol...

All these people talking about quality issues, and how these things don't happen with real luxury makes, etc... Makes me wonder if they've ever owned a Range Rover or a Jaguar, lol...
Good times with Range Rover. Nice car and completely unreliable.
Was paying financing bills and driving Ford Taurus they gave me for a month and a half while dealer was fixing suspension issues.
After 3rd issue Carmax took over that headache 😂

Tell them go test drive model Y and Toyota Highlander Platinum.
Same price but huge difference in quality of interior.
- Highlander - True 360 view. Digital Rear View mirror. 3 rows. bigger trunk. 450 mile on tank on highway. 2nd row sunshades. Autopilot equivalent needs huge improvements. Built in Tonneau cover. Awesome super quite interior.
- Model Y - Very fast! No Gas ! Awesome Autopilot. Interior quality can be much better. No Sunroof shade.
When my Y was at the body shop to fix the trunk lid ding I put on it I drove a Toyota Highlander Platinum 2022 rental car. My impression was the opposite of yours as far as quality of the interior. Nothing special, seemed dated. On the road it was a pig, with a soft suspension that bobbed around on the road, imprecise soft steering, and grossly underpowered; as my wife said it felt like we were "wallowing down the road." Lane keeping needs work as you noted, it ping ponged back and forth between the lines, had to keep it turned off. Entertainment system was rudimentary. Like I told the rental agent when I dropped it off, it got me where I needed to be but I wouldn't ever buy one.

Not directing this at zpaul but I wonder if some of the responses to the interior confuse the simplistic interior with lower quality. A friend of mine who is interested in a Tesla is a "luxury girl" and she likes big, plushy things. She drives only Mercedes SUVs, her furnishings in the house are all big, overstuffed, ornate things. My home is furnished in Scandinavian modern. While my Ekornes furniture cost at least as much or more than her ornate stuff she thinks her furniture is on a different price level. She'll get to ride in my Y for a couple of hours when I drive her to Richmond for a test drive of an X. I suspect the Y wouldn't be plush enough for her, but the new X with air suspension, noise cancelling, and perforated seats will be more her level of comfort.

Edit: The Highlander had paint zits and the panel gaps weren't even.

I think you missed the point of the thread entirely. Easy to do, I did at first as well.
No, I understood. The OP said Tesla “not Model Y”. The person I replied to I was pointing out that his issues didn’t apply to all Tesla’s nor all owners.

I’ll add one for the OP. You probably won’t save money in the long run.

One of the strongest reasons I’m In favor of a Tesla and help justify it to myself, is how amazing they are in crash tests. That alone is priceless. Yeah, I’m not helping the OP am I ;)

Buzz. Fail.

Not only not true, misses the point! OP isn't looking for alternatives, they are looking for excuses to delay a purchase!
Umm, I don’t see anything about “delay” in OP. It says , flat out, “not get one”. Maybe he said that in subsequent post I missed.

Delaying would be a very different list.

The Highlander Hybrid's AWD system is a piece of crap tho... Toyota's hybrid system does not have a reverse gear. So when you shift into reverse, the engine is only charging the battery, and the rear electric motor, is the ONLY thing propelling the SUV backwards... So if the rear tires happen to be on a patch of snow/ice, you are completely fubarred. My brother complained about this with his, when he was parked in a slightly inclined parking spot. Even on the prius a long time ago, there was a common problem with the car not able to reverse up steeper inclines, because the electric motor didn't have enough torque.

No, it works just like the FWD Toyota hybrids. Yes, it is electric-only propulsion, but it happens on both the front and rear axles.

When my Y was at the body shop to fix the trunk lid ding I put on it I drove a Toyota Highlander Platinum 2022 rental car. My impression was the opposite of yours as far as quality of the interior. Nothing special, seemed dated. On the road it was a pig, with a soft suspension that bobbed around on the road, imprecise soft steering, and grossly underpowered; as my wife said it felt like we were "wallowing down the road." Lane keeping needs work as you noted, it ping ponged back and forth between the lines, had to keep it turned off. Entertainment system was rudimentary. Like I told the rental agent when I dropped it off, it got me where I needed to be but I wouldn't ever buy one.

Not directing this at zpaul but I wonder if some of the responses to the interior confuse the simplistic interior with lower quality. A friend of mine who is interested in a Tesla is a "luxury girl" and she likes big, plushy things. She drives only Mercedes SUVs, her furnishings in the house are all big, overstuffed, ornate things. My home is furnished in Scandinavian modern. While my Ekornes furniture cost at least as much or more than her ornate stuff she thinks her furniture is on a different price level. She'll get to ride in my Y for a couple of hours when I drive her to Richmond for a test drive of an X. I suspect the Y wouldn't be plush enough for her, but the new X with air suspension, noise cancelling, and perforated seats will be more her level of comfort.

Edit: The Highlander had paint zits and the panel gaps weren't even.
I had 2004 Haghlander and felt it was best model they ever had.
After that went with my wife through a bunch of different cars and felt that Highlander becoming a $50k SUV was totally nuts. Paying $5-10k more and getting GX460 was a better deal. And in 2010 I owned one.
But recently I drove new GX460 and new 2021 fully loaded Platinum Highlander both hybrid and non hybrid. And to tell you the truth between GX460 and Highlander I would get Highlander non hybrid. It has it’s shortcomings but cabin felt solid, dead quiet, and fit and finish was very nice.
I love my model y but some squeaking and rattling noises still needs to be sorted out. I wish Tesla borrowed fit and finish and “some“ tech from Highlander and wish Highlander borrowed a lot of technology from Tesla.
Again purely my view. 😀
My best advice go and try what works for you. I can’t convince my friends to get Tesla they have mental barrier they will run out of juice.:rolleyes: